Yuvraj in doubt for WT20 Semis -May be replaced by Manish Pandey

5 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

When I see "Prince of Patiala" in your avatar/profile and blind support for an over the hill has been, I assumed that's the case. If that's not the case, you are even more deluded than I thought.

.I'm being objective and supporting what I see and what each player is doing... I have repeatedly called for an unchanged xi when we are winning through out the years....you have an subjective opinion when it is quite clear that you raj bowled well yesterday and stopped the floodgates...his injury did cost us a few missed runs but that wasn't planned for or anyone's fault...I listen to the experts who have played the game and who know what they are talking about than shitty posters like you who blame regionalism for people not agreeing with you...for eg rashid Latif said yuvraj innings was very important for India win as he stopped the floodgates.....he is also regionalist now loll his bowling saved us when India was blowing cold and Australia was pushing for 200... As per first yuvi started hitting at right time and perished doing so...they in the middle know more than you...

Edited by tdigi
Engage in a debate, but DO NOT ABUSE
16 minutes ago, rett said:

SF is not a place for Ind to see Yuvis and Rainas of the world have got their mojo back. They got their chances in the group games and messed up .... panday even if he scores a duck is the right choice .... As I said, Team Ind's interest first 

Exactly not a place to try unproven t20i rookie pandey

you are delusional if you think only your opinion is better for team interest...keep chirping away

20 hours ago, Ranjha said:

I'm being objective and supporting what I see and what each player is doing... I have repeatedly called for an unchanged xi when we are winning through out the years....you have an subjective opinion when it is quite clear that you raj bowled well yesterday and stopped the floodgates...his injury did cost us a few missed runs but that wasn't planned for or anyone's fault...I listen to the experts who have played the game and who know what they are talking about than shitty posters like you who blame regionalism for people not agreeing with you...for eg rashid Latif said yuvraj innings was very important for India win as he stopped the floodgates.....he is also regionalist now loll his bowling saved us when India was blowing cold and Australia was pushing for 200... As per first yuvi started hitting at right time and perished doing so...they in the middle know more than you...

All I know is Yuvraj screwed us out of a WT20 title in 2014 and looks like he will do so again if he continues playing. The guy is done. the fact is Yuvraj is done and should not have been selected for the tourney along with Rahane. They are both misfits in the T20 team.

5 hours ago, Ultimate_Game said:

All I know is Yuvrak screwed us out of a WT20 title in 2014 and looks like he will do so again if he continues playing. The guy is done. the fact is Yuvraj is done and should not have been selected for the tourney along with Rahane. They are both misfits in the T20 team.

2014 is history...it is quite clear you are holding that against him still...he is not playing like 2014 at all.....you are quite clearly biased.

Just now, Ranjha said:

2014 is history...it is quite clear you are holding that against him still...he is not playing like 2014 at all.....you are quite clearly biased.

Pray tell all of us how exactly has Yuvraj improved since 2014? Has he got any younger? In Aus he looked old and his reflexes slow. If I want a bowler I can go for Negi as he can give me the overs which Yuvraj bowls and probably score the same 10-20 runs Yuvraj gets these days. Just because he was good back in the day doesn't mean he continues playing. We may as well rope in Sehwag and Gambhir if that's the case. I repeat, his recent performances in Aus, in Asia Cup and so far in WT20 has shown that he's past it. He's not gonna roll back time no matter how much you hope.

2 hours ago, Ranjha said:

Exactly not a place to try unproven t20i rookie pandey

you are delusional if you think only your opinion is better for team interest...keep chirping away

As I said, I would still rather play Negi and Bhajji as batsmen, then the constant failures who already got a bunch of chances and almost managed to knock Ind out - Yuvi, Raina, etc. .... For these players, the tournament should be over

Also already discussed, LOIs form is transferable so Panday's inclusion will strengthen the batting

Edited by rett

Yuvarj got better since his World T20 2014 debacle? lol.

Yuvraj has progressively got worse. He struggles against when ball travels 135kph+ or starts turning. 

And even when fit, he turns down quick singles or twos. 

It is credit to our bowlers that India has not been chasing frequent 180+ totals.

Yuvraj was also flop in IPL last year. 

Unless one is like those SC fans who support players like Afridi no matter what, no self respecting fan of a cricket team will support such players whose failures almost knocked Ind out

T20s are supposed to be for in form players and not a format to fit those who can't get into other formats (or allow them to get in form)

Edited by rett

Panday > Yuvi / Raina. He can probably score what Yuvi and Raina can together .... He can only come in if Yuvi is injured 

Even if Yuvi and Raina do well on flat surface at Mumbai, there are less chances of them being consistent and also doing well in conditions in Kol 

So Yuvi gets replaced by Panday and Raina should be replaced with either Bhajji or Negi

That would improve both batting and bowling 

For the record, while i dont think Yuvi is a performer. I also dont get this trust in Pandey. Cricket is not just something you switch on and off. What has pandey been doing? Has he been playing cricket ? (real question) Like it or not Rahane Negi and Bhajji have been actually bowling and batting in the nets. There is touch. 

This is Pandey's IPL record

http://www.iplt20.com/teams/kolkata-knight-riders/squad/123/Manish-Pandey/

Its a decent solid record. But its not out of this world. Rahane has a much better IPL record than Pandey. Pandey also featured v Zim and did not take his chances. 

I have to be frank. If Yuvi is to be injured I find Negi who can bat and bowl a safer bet than Pandey who can bring balance to the team. If you play Pandey that means Raina is your cover for Pandya and other bowling mishaps like the ones even Ash suffered v Aus. Negi should bat at 7 with Pandya pushed up the order and if he scores a quick fire 15 runs and bowls two tight overs he has done his job. Considering Mumbai is a batting deck I feel we should look at bolstering our bowling and Negi provides a good trade off.

Now if Pandey is being considered for opening the innings. Then is a different issue. Then the question is, is Pandey a better bet atm than Rahane to replace mostly Shikar Dhawan considering Rohit is the bigger t20 player of the two.

2 hours ago, rett said:

Unless one is like those SC fans who support players like Afridi no matter what, no self respecting fan of a cricket team will support such players whose failures almost knocked Ind out

T20s are supposed to be for in form players and not a format to fit those who can't get into other formats (or allow them to get in form)

Rett bhai, though i agree to most of your posts, I disagree here. I was a big Yuvi fan, but i realize he is no longer the player he once was. However to his credit, he has fulfilled his role in the team to perfection. When has he failed in this WT20? He has invariably come in after a collapse and has built a partnership. If my memory serves me right, he has always been a run a ball except the Pakistan match (which by the way was most important knock of all). 

He is not in the team as a hitter, but a person to play according to the situation. Let him come in at 110/3 and then we can judge his agressive batting skills. 

His bowling is still not the worst and he is still a better than average fielder. Compared to the replacements we have in the 15, he is definitely better. I would have held no beef if he was not selected at all and instead a Shreyas Iyer or Manish Pandey was selected instead. At this stage, he has the confidence and I would hesitate to bring in a new player. 

16 minutes ago, kruiser said:

Rett bhai, though i agree to most of your posts, I disagree here. I was a big Yuvi fan, but i realize he is no longer the player he once was. However to his credit, he has fulfilled his role in the team to perfection. When has he failed in this WT20? He has invariably come in after a collapse and has built a partnership. If my memory serves me right, he has always been a run a ball except the Pakistan match (which by the way was most important knock of all). 

He is not in the team as a hitter, but a person to play according to the situation. Let him come in at 110/3 and then we can judge his agressive batting skills. 

His bowling is still not the worst and he is still a better than average fielder. Compared to the replacements we have in the 15, he is definitely better. I would have held no beef if he was not selected at all and instead a Shreyas Iyer or Manish Pandey was selected instead. At this stage, he has the confidence and I would hesitate to bring in a new player. 

I m a big Yuvi fan too and consider him as an Ind LOI great. In fact, I too hv been secretly hoping that he rediscovers his smashing form and takes Ind to victory .... Same for Raina

But Ind has passed the point where it can keep hoping that these guys finally come good ....  And to be fair, he (and Raina) is trying to give his best. I hv no doubts about it .... But those efforts are not enough at the moment. Fortunately Ind has options that can deliver w/o having to hope and therefore it should exercise those options

2 hours ago, G_B_ said:

For the record, while i dont think Yuvi is a performer. I also dont get this trust in Pandey. Cricket is not just something you switch on and off. What has pandey been doing? Has he been playing cricket ? (real question) Like it or not Rahane Negi and Bhajji have been actually bowling and batting in the nets. There is touch. 

This is Pandey's IPL record

http://www.iplt20.com/teams/kolkata-knight-riders/squad/123/Manish-Pandey/

Its a decent solid record. But its not out of this world. Rahane has a much better IPL record than Pandey. Pandey also featured v Zim and did not take his chances. 

I have to be frank. If Yuvi is to be injured I find Negi who can bat and bowl a safer bet than Pandey who can bring balance to the team. If you play Pandey that means Raina is your cover for Pandya and other bowling mishaps like the ones even Ash suffered v Aus. Negi should bat at 7 with Pandya pushed up the order and if he scores a quick fire 15 runs and bowls two tight overs he has done his job. Considering Mumbai is a batting deck I feel we should look at bolstering our bowling and Negi provides a good trade off.

Now if Pandey is being considered for opening the innings. Then is a different issue. Then the question is, is Pandey a better bet atm than Rahane to replace mostly Shikar Dhawan considering Rohit is the bigger t20 player of the two.

The clamour for him is largely due to his innings in Australia. He played very fluently and would have been disappointed that he did not make the team for T20s. Yuvraj, on the other hand has not scored an international fifty for two years now. More than that, he just doesnt seem to inspire any confidence with his batting. He struggles to middle the ball, his weakness against the spinning ball has got amplified and he tends to waste a lot of deliveries. Moreover, he is unfit. I salute the fact that he was able to trump over cancer and play cricket, but that does not mean that we give him a "sympathy" place in the team. IMO, we should never have picked him after the 2014 World T20 final debacle. 

To be fair, he has tried to stay in the middle and stitch some partnerships. But, honestly, when I eas watching that match against the Aussies, I was relieved when he got out. Had he stayed for another 3-4 overs, I think we would have lost the game. His wicket reminded me of the relief I would feel watching ODIs in the 90s when I would pray that Shastri and Manjrekar got out as soon as possible. He is very slow in the field in a format in which you need athletic fielders. So, as an Indian cricket fan and without any regional bias, I hope that he is indeed replaced. 

By the way, I do not think Rahane and Pandey's IPL records comparison is fair. Pandey bats mostly in the middle order, while Rahane has mostly opened in the IPL. Batting in the middle order doesnt give you as much of an opportunity to build your innings as batting in the top order does.