Kohli on why Sarfraz was dropped

msplash9

Kohli also confirmed there were no injury concerns to Sarfaraz Khan, and that the batsman had been left out on fitness grounds. Sarfaraz has not been part of the playing XI for the last three games, with the team management preferring Kerala batsman Sachin Baby instead. Sarfaraz has played five matches this season and scored 66 runs but has not batted higher than No. 5 in the line-up so far.

"He (Sarfaraz) understands the areas he needs to work on as far as fitness and fielding is concerned," Kohli explained. "We understand that the position he plays at, he is unlikely to get more than 10-15 balls to play. You can't afford to have too many guys on the field who are not up to the mark with their speed.

"The format is fast and you need guys who are fit and can get to the ball quickly to save you five-six runs. He understands that. Sachin (Baby) in that aspect is committed, fit and works on those things. So it is a matter of who is working hard on all three aspects of the game. If you are not a bowler, then you need to be up with your fielding and batting. Me as captain will go with a player who gives me 120% on the field, and is committed to every ball that he fields."

Love this attitude from Virat. This will also help Sarfaraz a lot.

Unconvincing. Last year he was in worse shape than he's now, was a much worse fielder and yet played 13 of RCB's 16 matches. Difference is RCB was regularly in top 4-5 last season and went through to play offs, This year they are struggling with almost no chance to be in play offs.

Basically poor Sarfaraz is paying for Kohli's inability as a skipper to pick right bowlers and defend decentish totals. What a heartbreak for a such a talented lad.

3 hours ago, WC2011INDIA said:

bumrah too...terrible fielder..runs and throws ball like a chakka when he fields

I guess we missing the point here, he said sarfraz will hardly get 15-20 balls for that he cnt sacrifice having bad fielder for 120 balls

as far bumrah n ashwin goes they r our main bowlers they wnt be dropped unless they dnt give perfomance with ball which they r meant to do

Ashwin is around 30 so its diff for him to become the best fielder yet off lately he has started putting in dive so its a reminder for sarfraz that he is young and he has no excuse to not work in fitness

And in an interviews sarfraz said he is going to loose weight within 6 mnths n it didnt happen

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Sarfaraz has been really good with the bat.  He's young so if he can improve his fitness with this message, then that'd would be great.  If not, just play him.. Don't think he's really that bad in the field

Fitness is not the real issue, it must be disciplinary issue. He was dropped suddenly and it's not because of him RCB was losing matches... He appears to be a hot head, may be full of himself and might've stepped on the toes of teammates or even on Kohli's... Kohli is a bigger hothead and might told him to get lost... All these things Kohli can't mention in public....

18 hours ago, ipl is fun said:

Hmmm.. Will virat do the same to Ashwin after msd retires

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

you really think its just about being a bad fielder ? Sarfaraz has had disciplinary issues in the past as well . 

Big fan him & I rate him as the biggest talent around for LOIs and should play for India immediately , but if hes going to act like some of the Pak cricketers just keep him away .

I never rated Sarfarz despite him scoring runs in IPL purely because the manner in which he got them ie behind the wicket. To me, He is only good on Indian tracks. But Kohli has a point. Fitness is very important factor in IPL. I hope this helps Sarfaraz in moving in right direction.