Krunal Pandya

puneet28

right now, the best spin + batting option .... have to give him opportunities so that he can adjust to the international cricket esp against good fast bowling .... vs spinners and medium pacers, he will have no problems with the bat .... could improve as a bowler too .... overall, a package with great potential! 

Lets watch him some more before rating him.  His hitting ability and power are unmistakable though.   Most of his shots are in the proverbial V...and that is another plus.

Looks like he has not got much opportunity to play genuine pace and practice against it. Should do better when he does as he is not afraid against quicks and can pull the ball too.

Edited by express bowling

Deserves a call in narional side. His batting is very composed. Least selectors can do is drop bhajji dhoni yuvi jaddu raina and give chance to few ipl youngsters

Which format you are taking about? Don't forget Dhoni is still captain of T20 Team (which is actually a shame)...

Well axar and jaddu have also showed some glimpses in the past but turned out to be total duds later.

jaddu was called a rockstar by Warne after first few seasons.

i won't jump on the Pandya sr bandwagon yet as I also called Pandya jr bluff before.

at this point he is just Yusuf Pathan lite and he did not look comfortable against 140k+ bowling.

lets hold on to our horses here.... Yusuf is a better batsman and jaddu a better bowler than k.pandya at the moment....let's hope he improves...stop hyping him at the moment not entirely sold....yes a good innings today and a couple of cameos this season but let's wait.

36 minutes ago, maniac said:

i won't jump on the Pandya sr bandwagon yet as I also called Pandya jr bluff before.

You should demarcate between pointing out the potential of a player and hype.

The journey of a young cricketer, with above average potential, is rarely a linear one to success.  Apart from the talent to succeed in international cricket, there are many other qualities required to become an ultimate success. Like temperament, focus, will to work hard, cricketing brain, ability to learn from mistakes, remaining fit, hunger for success   etc.

Even when some or all these qualities are present , players usually have to go through a development process. Our domestic cricket is such that competition is very low and there are too many state teams filled with mediocre players.  This results in semi-developed players representing team India and improving as they play international cricket, provided the qualities discussed above are present.  

Usually, a dip comes in the 2nd season as a successful player is analyzed and his shortcomings found out. Some players have the ability to work hard and overcome this while others don't.  

Different players have different maturity levels and learning speeds too. 

In a nut-shell....once a talent is identified it does not mean that he is hyped....it is just the identification of talent and nothing more.  He may or maynot succeed because of the reasons discussed above and more players with potential fail and only a few come out winners.  

Also....players with potential have to be backed hard and given the proper time , support as well as coaching to develop based on their type.....immediate success is very very rare and it often takes 3 to 5 years.

12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You should demarcate between pointing out the potential of a player and hype.

The journey of a young cricketer, with above average potential, is rarely a linear one to success.  Apart from the talent to succeed in international cricket, there are many other qualities required to become an ultimate success. Like temperament, focus, will to work hard, cricketing brain etc.

Even when some or all these qualities are present , players usually have to go through a development process. Our domestic cricket is such that competition is very low and there are too many state teams filled with mediocre players.  This results in semi-developed players representing team India and improving as they play international cricket, provided the qualities discussed above are present.  

Usually, a dip comes in the 2nd season as a successful player is analyzed and his shortcomings found out. Some players have the ability to work hard and overcome this while others don't.  

Different players have different maturity levels and learning speeds too. 

In a nut-shell....once a talent is identified it does not mean that he is hyped....it is just the identification of talent and nothing more.  He may or maynot succeed because of the reasons discussed above and more players with potential fail and only a few come out winners.  

Also....players with potential have to be backed hard and given the proper time , support as well as coaching to develop based on his type.....immediate success is very very rare and it often takes 3 to 5 years.

before I get to krunal let me tell you how we can assess a player even though T20 is probably not the accurate measure of a player's talent 

3 players standout to me and I think are ready to take it to the next level

samson- the guy over the last few seasons has played good innings in various situations...when the team is down he has pulled it out of its hole, he has played the aggressor when the team required quick runs, he played a mature innings to finish the game chasing targets....so various scenarios so that's a good sign

pant- played a blitz when he opened the innings, picked his shots very well and got the job done the other day...yes still early but he has shown a good head on his shoulders

sran- has bowled good spells in defending tricky targets...has been composed when playing on flat tracks...yes everyone gets smacked around in t20 on small grounds and flat pitches but the way he has maintained a good temperament in various situations tells me that he can be in the scheme of things.

we have seen in the past with likes of valthaty etc who have one moment under the sun but then throw it all away...with krunal or even sarfaraz I haven't seen them play a back to the wall innings or showing maturity or adapting yet...they have been good when everything is perfect but correct me if I am wrong they haven't stood out when things are going bad.i am not totally writing them off but still a long road ahead for them and I personally think they are pretty behind in the pecking order.

with sarfaraz there are other external issues atm. But from what I know from u19 WC I think he is very talented.

krunal is pretty behind so let's give him some time before we hype him.

@maniac  you have to match talent with opportunities. There are openings in team Ind for those who can both bowl and bat including having the ability to hit big.  Players such as K Pan, H Pan, etc fall into that category 

Also K Rahul is a good prospect for a batsman who can keep as well

So can you tell me where would the names that you suggested fit in Ind' s 11 in the current set up? 

21 minutes ago, maniac said:

before I get to krunal let me tell you how we can assess a player even though T20 is probably not the accurate measure of a player's talent 

3 players standout to me and I think are ready to take it to the next level

samson- the guy over the last few seasons has played good innings in various situations...when the team is down he has pulled it out of its hole, he has played the aggressor when the team required quick runs, he played a mature innings to finish the game chasing targets....so various scenarios so that's a good sign

pant- played a blitz when he opened the innings, picked his shots very well and got the job done the other day...yes still early but he has shown a good head on his shoulders

sran- has bowled good spells in defending tricky targets...has been composed when playing on flat tracks...yes everyone gets smacked around in t20 on small grounds and flat pitches but the way he has maintained a good temperament in various situations tells me that he can be in the scheme of things.

we have seen in the past with likes of valthaty etc who have one moment under the sun but then throw it all away...with krunal or even sarfaraz I haven't seen them play a back to the wall innings or showing maturity or adapting yet...they have been good when everything is perfect but correct me if I am wrong they haven't stood out when things are going bad.i am not totally writing them off but still a long road ahead for them and I personally think they are pretty behind in the pecking order.

with sarfaraz there are other external issues atm. But from what I know from u19 WC I think he is very talented.

krunal is pretty behind so let's give him some time before we hype him.

I agree with you about Pant and Samson.  Agree with the reasons which you have given too.   Both have the potential to represent India successfully.   I would add KL Rahul to that list as a pure batsman...he is actually a much more developed batsman than the other two.

I am not that enthusiastic about Sran yet.... because whenever I have seen him in a 4 day or 50 over game...he loses steam.   Looks decent to good in a t20 match though.  He has had a major shoulder injury and perhaps has not fully recovered yet.

Regarding Krunal ....early days.

4 minutes ago, rett said:

@maniac  you have to match talent with opportunities. There are openings in team Ind for those who can both bowl and bat including having the ability to hit big.  Players such as K Pan, H Pan, etc fall into that category 

Also K Rahul is a good prospect for a batsman who can keep as well

So can you tell me where would the names that you suggested fit in Ind' s 11 in the current set up? 

Yeah forgot Rahul....Lot of slots actually....

Yes the big hitter/allrounder role is open and you are right here are the names I can think of right now based on IPL Hardik, Krunal, Axar,Jadeja, Binny,Yusuf,Irfan,Negi,Bhati(I am not suggesting that all of them are fit to play for India...just all the allrounders who come to mind based on their roles for their respective teams) 

we might need to assess the strengths and weakness of all these players and the conditions we will be playing in over the next 2 years to see if they are a sure shot.

I am not writing of k.Pandya all I am saying is there is nothing that tells me that he will be better than say a jadeja or axar with either the bat/ball. Can't jump on the bandwagon based on one knock....Negi and H Pandya were the flavor of the season last year too but what a waste of slot as they are neither good with the bat or ball so far from what we have seen.

opening slot of Dhawan/Rahane and middle slot of Raina is up for grabs too. Based on IPL we have Pant,Samson, Rahul, Hooda,Rayudu, Gambhir who may need to be assessed 

wicketkeeper bat there is Rahul and Pant again and Uthappa.

fast bowling wise Sran and to some extent Aron have stood out(I am not talking about already established players like Bhuvi and Shami)

spinners chahal,Jayant and M.Ashwin

all these slots are open in the indian side.

cant give everyone a shot at once, we need to figure out the pecking order

I am basing this solely on IPL ...I am sure there are a lot of domestic players who unfortunately might have had a bad/poor IPL season but they can't be written of either after all the hard yards they have put in.

so tell me is Krunal such a standout performer that he can leapfrog everyone here???

1 hour ago, rett said:

Yes.... it is all about doing justice to the role alloted or needed to play

Modern day LOIs require players in the lower middle order

• to hit big from the word go without taking time to settle down
  • bat at a very high SR even if it results in a mediocre average
  • bowl quite a few overs
  • be good fielders

High pedigree batsmen who can play long innings are not needed for this role on most days. Batsmen like Kohli, Rahane, Vijay etc. may be of a much higher quality but  won't be suited to this role....whereas Krunal, Hardik, Yusuf  etc. are suited for this.....which one among them, if any, will succeed in international cricket, only time will tell.