ICC admits fixing India v. Pakistan draw

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016/06/01/icc-admits-fixing-draws-to-put-india-and-pakistan-in-same-group/

I am speechless. what a disgrace! yes we all kind of knew it was fixed but still right from 2003 there was always a cry of oh my god we're in the same group. Now we know it's all been a lie. What else is fixed to fill ICC coffers? Pitches, tosses, how long a test match lasts, IPL? Did the players know...i suspect so!

This is stupid thinking....so they want to get a league game out of the way at the risk of one team not making it through the next round???

best ind pak matches have been when they played in the knockouts Wc sf 2011, WC qf 1996 and  wt20 2007(even though I think we were in the same group in that one)

if 1999 and 2003 didn't have the super 6 those would have been knock outs too.

looks like killing the folder goose does exist

1 hour ago, sourab10forever said:

What's the surprise in this? ICC had already declared that the draws weren't made randomly. Now they are being more descriptive. 

What do you mean they'd already declared it...when ?

51 minutes ago, Vilander said:

They just mitigated the risk of not having Pak qualify and miss the Ind/Pak encounter altogether. I dont see anything wrong in this honestly, where the other entrants picked from lots no right ?

Well according to the article, in order to satisfy the total number of ranking point in each group of four, by fixing Ind/Pak they effectively had to fix the other draws too. There was no draw! I'm flabbergasted. A company cannot lie to its shareholders...period!

Pretty obvious... All World cups except 2007 had Ind vs Pak matches... 2007 was a revenue bomber coz India and Pak exited early and didn't play each other... Also, the WC was played in WI (10 hr time gap from India)

Solution to prevent loss of revenue:

1. Have an India vs Pak match in the league draw itself

2. No more ICC events in the Caribbean.

48 minutes ago, goose said:

Well according to the article, in order to satisfy the total number of ranking point in each group of four, by fixing Ind/Pak they effectively had to fix the other draws too. There was no draw! I'm flabbergasted. A company cannot lie to its shareholders...period!

shareholders.. and lied to them. Care to elaborate further with evidence.

Nothing wrong in keeping things interesting as long as they are open and transparent  about it.

I am surprised that they have to 'admit' it.It should be obvious.

INd -Pak rivalry is good for the touranment.

They should keep other rivalries also in mind...like Aus-Pom 

59 minutes ago, radhika said:

Nothing wrong in keeping things interesting as long as they are open and transparent  about it.

I am surprised that they have to 'admit' it.It should be obvious.

INd -Pak rivalry is good for the touranment.

They should keep other rivalries also in mind...like Aus-Pom 

You can't be open and transparent after the event. in 2003 when the sides were drawn at Centurion (never mind the subsequent fixtures that made it obvious) in the game of the century, when the sides were actually 'drawn' to meet some time in 2002, every single person i know that follows cricket viewed it as a stroke of luck, a twist of fate. etc. Now we know it was a lie. To be honest with some of the views expressed here no wonder the country is corrupt!

Edited by goose
1 hour ago, Vilander said:

shareholders.. and lied to them. Care to elaborate further with evidence.

It's a metaphor. We are all stakeholders in the beautiful game. We cannot be lied to under some pretence they know best or no harm done claptrap.

He shouldn't have said so, other matches will come across as less important then. But this is the right way to go about it, Ind-Pak don't play any matche outside ICC tournament and this is the only way to make sure that they get to play at least once in a year. Seeing there are only 10 teams in this sport, you have to look at it from financial point of view as well. And also 2 easy points for India so nothing to complain from my side.  

Shameless fellows. Now they are admitting it? What a disgrace. So now if Mohd Amir, Asif and Salman Butt start claiming that so what if we bowled a no ball. It didn't alter the result of the match. 

So what ICC is effectively saying is that they "fixed" groups, which resulted in "fixed" qualifiers from those groups ultimately resulting in a "fixed" winner. This is even worse than spot fixing. 

On 6/3/2016 at 4:03 PM, Singh bling said:

One don't need rocket science to ind out that India vs Pakistan group matches were always on Friday , Saturday or Sunday, this cannot be coincidence

Scheduling marquee matches for maximum returns is different from fixing a group. I don't think you have understood what they are admitting now. They "fixed" the draws. They were not dictated by merit but by commercial prospects. This is deplorable from the highest body in cricket. 

well duh.... its was an open secret.

When India v Pakistan did not happen in the T20 WC 2009, I remember India v Pak warm up game was organised at the oval.

I am against this sort of fixing of fixtures. Certain teams it seems will never play India unless its the later stages.