Sourav Ganguly was disrespectful: Ravi Shastri [Update Post 18: Ganguly responds]

Malcolm,

A new thread for every comment / article ?

Much easier to read and discuss if you use the already existing threads on similar topic ..

http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/topic/96615-anil-kumble-head-coach/

or

http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/topic/96635-india-coach-selection-panel-was-aware-ganguly-would-miss-shastri-interviewcommittee-recommended-more-than-one-name/

Shastri did not deserve to be a coach when he was appointed more than a year back but based on BCCI's criteria he checked the box and not Kumble.....Kumble at best is a good administrator and a go getter based on his success previously...if he wanted to get into the coachin side and had a blue-print...he should have started at the grass root level like Dravid.

Special Respect to Dravid,.....no shortcuts :hatsoff: 

Technically he has a right to be mad. A group of ex players pick their ex teammate and one doesn't even bother to show up to his interview implying that he had no chance and they were just wasting his time. But no one seems to like shastri enough to care about it.

Edited by Silva

If other candidates are coming in for an in-person interview, Shastri should have taken that initiative too .... 1st he is vacationing when the interviews are being conducted (iirc) .... 2nd, he gives an imp interview on Skype .... 3rd, he complains about others not being present when he is on Skype and when who should be present is none of his business as far as the interviewing panel is ok

Appears as if Shastri thought that by just applying he would get the job. That could work with BCCI but not with the likes of Ganguly, VVS and SRT .... And when a heavy weight and ATG player like Kumble applies and also gives an in-person presentation, chances of other candidates automatically become slim 

Edited by rett
13 hours ago, rett said:

If other candidates are coming in for an in-person interview, Shastri should have taken that initiative too .... 1st he is vacationing when the interviews are being conducted (iirc) .... 2nd, he gives an imp interview on Skype .... 3rd, he complains about others not being present when he is on Skype and when who should be present is none of his business as far as the interviewing panel is ok

Appears as if Shastri thought that by just applying he would get the job. That could work with BCCI but not with the likes of Ganguly, VVS and SRT .... And when a heavy weight and ATG player like Kumble applies and also gives an in-person presentation, chances of other candidates automatically become slim 

Oh come on ... you must give the guy a lot of credit for taking precious time off his vacation to do an interview.  

8 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Shastri was leading candidate till Kumble dropped in.

Oh ok. Now i know why he is so butt hurt. But why pick Dada. I m sure everyone must have unanimously decided Kumble was right choice.

By the way who the hell is Shastri to judge Ganguly was disrespectful to "selection process" if anything, Ganguli was part of the process.

33 minutes ago, mishra said:

Oh ok. Now i know why he is so butt hurt. But why pick Dada. I m sure everyone must have unanimously decided Kumble was right choice.

By the way who the hell is Shastri to judge Ganguly was disrespectful to "selection process" if anything, Ganguli was part of the process.

last decision was of Anurag Thakur.

Former India captain Sourav Ganguly hit back at Ravi Shastri, saying the former Team Director has made his non-selection as head coach 'very personal' and he is hurt by the latter's 'immature comments'.

Shastri had said that Ganguly should 'take his job seriously', after the Cricket Association of Bengal president, who was part of the Cricket Advisory Committee which included Sachin Tendulkar and VVS Laxman, was absent during his interview for the post of India's head coach.

Reacting to the comments, Ganguly said, "I just feel his (Shastri) comments are very personal. If Ravi Shastri feels that Sourav Ganguly was responsible for him not being the India coach, he is living in a fool's world.

The CAB president launched a stinging attack on the Mumbaikar, saying the former team director should have been present for the interview rather than connecting through video conference while holidaying in Bangkok.

Shastri's interview was conducted by Tendulkar, VVS Laxman and BCCI convenor Sanjay Jagdale through video conference.

"It angers me that he gave a suggestion that I should be available for such meetings. I have been a part of BCCI meetings for some time and I have always been available. My advice to Ravi is that when the coach of India is selected and one of the most important jobs, he should be in front of the committee and not sit in Bangkok and give a presentation while being on a holiday.

"I read in a couple of newspapers and chose to ignore it. I am extremely saddened that he went on air to express his view. Specially someone who has been in every BCCI committee for the last 20 years. He has been in my position for selecting the coach 10 years back.

"He is aware of everything. I informed BCCI on June 19th and I have got official mails. I will circulate those mails once I get a clearance from BCCI," Ganguly said, while speaking to television news channels in Kolkata on Wednesday. 

Ganguly went on to add: “I don't know whether he is serious or not serious, but I hope he was if he wanted one of the most important jobs in the game. But if he is talking about respect then he should have been here as well.

"When you have a three-member committee and important people are involved in the decision-making then it is not just about Sourav Ganguly. So these personal remarks have been very saddening."

On Shastri making comments on public domain against him, Ganguly replied: "He should have shown a bit more maturity, especially for someone who has been in such committees for more than 10 years.

On Anil Kumble starting his stint as India chief coach, Ganguly said: "I wish him all the luck. As I said, he is the best in the world. He is one of the champions of Indian cricket and he will take this team forward."

He did not give a direct answer to queries about it his animosity with Shastri being an open secret in Indian cricket.

"From my side, I have never gone on to make any comments to the media."

He then also gave his account of the itinerary of that day.

"I had informed BCCI that there was a CAB Working Committee meeting that day. Being a president of CAB I had to chair the meeting. Also the notification for a Working Committee is always given 14 days in advance whereas this meeting was fixed two days in advance. Ravi's meeting was scheduled at 4:15 pm and I guess Ravi has got that received as well. BCCI had sent him the time.

"Now while interviewing other candidates, it went past 5 pm and I came out of the meeting. Then Mr (Ajay) Shirke (BCCI secretary) called me and said that others (Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman and co-ordinator Sanjay Jagdale) are requesting if they can continue (with the interviews). I said, ‘fine, let's do that’, as it happens everywhere in the world. That's exactly what happened and I feel comments are very personal in nature."

Earlier, Shastri had accused 'Dada' of being disrespectful for skipping the interview and held him responsible for being denied the top coaching job in Indian cricket.

Shastri, who was India's team director for 18 months, was one of the front-runners to take up the position of head coach. However, the three-member advisory panel selected Anil Kumble.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/report/shastri-is-living-in-a-fools-world-ganguly-hits-back/20160629.htm

Its on between Dada and Shastri.