Analyzing Rohit's batting Technique and Drop in fitness levels , why he is a failure in test cricket [Update: Post 39]

What does a test match batsman need Temperament, technique, Skill, hard work and adjusment. Many good batsman arent technically great but they work hard and have gud temperament and mindset. 

Now talking about Rohit sharma in terms of all aspects-

1. Temperament- Srs issue there

• The guy threw his wkt before lunch against eng like an idiot
  • After being dropped against Sa in delhi, he again does that blunder means he didnt learn from his mistake. 
  • In SL 3rd test again after being set played a shot in air where fielder was standing.
  • Recent interview said im happy with test perfomance, really????????
  • Saying to Steyn ill see you in India says a lot about hi Mindset that he thinks its ok to be just bully at home, wrong attitude.
  • giving excuses that he was a bowler- really ??? Here is his domestic bowling record which is so horrible that he shudnt even think about giving this excuse. http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/34102.html

Now all such things doesnt say much good about ur temperament and his attitude. 

2. Hardwork- He may spend time one net and all but when ur failing like this you have to do something extra. 

• The reason virat kohli says he works so much on fitness is it helps his feet move fast , he is there learn something from him
  • Before SL series kohli went to play for Ind-A and Rohit coach gave an interview that rohit should have done same. So why rohit why u didnt go??
  • Before Wi series , kohli started practicing 10 days b4 camp, rohit was on holidays. I have nothing against players taking time off but when u hve such poor record u can start to work hard early. Learn from kohli.

3. Adjustment- I have seen everyone making an adjustment on diff tours but just not rohit. Eg kohli stood outside crease in Aus, Kohli n rahane narrowing stance against Sa and widening before Sa,NZ tour. Dhawan also did some adjustment before Nz test and vijay also does in diff condition. But rohit will never change his standing position, stance or anything. 

4. Skill - He has skill but then many many many does.

5. Technique- a lot of people says he has mental issues not technical well wrong i saw huge problems in his techniques. 

Now before pointing out those ill point the basic.

1. you should play close to body, if not reach from them through ur feet 

2. your head should be right on ball and it shouldnt fall 

Now here are screenshots of his most dismissals from all tours and they all look same suggesting he hasnt improved: http://imgur.com/a/q4iC2

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
Imgur link added

17.jpg

His dismissal against Sa in Sa ( hilarious they are)

This enough to show how easy is it to get him out in test with that sought of footwork, head position and temperament

All tours Same story, So @maniac why does he deserve more chances, has he really improved. i wish i have i the footage of warmup game ill show u the same weaknesses again n again

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

@Ankit_sharma03 Excellent Analysis.....but why single out Rohit....how about Virat's technique of fishing outside off stump? He has been Playing in T20's and dust bowls so that does not give an idea that he fixed it.....Also how about Pujara who keeps getting bowled to the ball that comes in.

How can we write off a player that he is too lazy to work on his technique?

It is understood that Rohit along with Virat and Rahane are the 3 most skilled batsman in India right now....Megastars in the making-Virat is almost 90% there........so why give up on him,just that extra leeway for the feats he has accomplished in other formats compared to say another player who has shown no promise.....Have patience as I said if Yuvraj and Raina can play about 40 tests....why give up on a much more talented batsman so soon?

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

@Ankit_sharma03 Excellent Analysis.....but why single out Rohit....how about Virat's technique of fishing outside off stump? He has been Playing in T20's and dust bowls so that does not give an idea that he fixed it.....Also how about Pujara who keeps getting bowled to the ball that comes in.

How can we write off a player that he is too lazy to work on his technique?

It is understood that Rohit along with Virat and Rahane are the 3 most skilled batsman in India right now....Megastars in the making-Virat is almost 90% there........so why give up on him,just that extra leeway for the feats he has accomplished in other formats compared to say another player who has shown no promise.....Have patience as I said if Yuvraj and Raina can play about 40 tests....why give up on a much more talented batsman so soon?

ABSOLUTELY VALID POINT THAT VIRAT HAS PROBLEM OUTSIDE OFF, EVEN RAHANE HAS DONE FLIRTED N THROWN WKTS OUTSIDE OFF AND SACHIN , DRAVID MANY OTHERS. BUT THE % WAS PRETTY LESS NOW U CAN COUNT NUMBER OF DISMISSAL I AHVE SHOWN ABOVE N MANY I COULDNT POST DUE TO LIMIT SO UNDERSTAND THE PERCENTAGE OF MISTAKE IS HUGE

ALSO IF U NOTICE I HAVE MENTIONED IN MANY PICS THE BAT PAD GAP, SO ITS NOT ONLY OUTSIDE OFF IT ALSO INCOMING BALL HE HAS BEEN DISMISSED MANY TIMES WITH BOTH OUTGOING N INCOMING. NOW U CNT GET VIRAT OUT ON AN INSWINGER AND RAHANE DOESNT THROW HIS WKTS EASY SO THERE % OF DISMISSAL AUTOMATICALLY REDUCES TO ROHIT BY LONG LONG WAY. 

M NOT WRITING OFF, BUT M SAYING THERE HASNT BEEN ANY IMPROVMENT U TAKE HIS LAST TEST SERIES AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA N SAME DISMISSALS. 

AS FAR AS PATIENCE IS CONCERNED 14 TEST ARE ENOUGH , M NOT SAYING WRITE HIM OF BUT HE SHUD BE TOLD BOSS THESE ARE UR AREA CONCERNS GO WORK ON IT N COME. IF I CAN FIND FEW M SURE THERE ARE FAR MORE KNOWLEDGABLE  PPL IN DRESSING ROOM WHO CAN TELL MORE N EVEN GUIDE. 

U CAN HAVE PATIENCE BUT WHEN IT START AFFECTING UR CHANCES, IT HURTS. RAINA DIDNT PLAY THAT MANY TEST AND YUVRAJ AGAIN DIDNT GET SO MANY CHANCES ON TRAUGHT HE WAS IN-OUT CONTINOUSLY. 

NOW THE WHOLE POINT M MAKING IS WITH SO MANY FLAWS THE % OF HIS DISMISSAL IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY HIGH. EVERY BODY HAS SOME WEAKNESS BUT THEY A SOLID GAME COVER MOST BUT WITH ROHIT ITS TOO MANY. 

NOW HE HAS THE SERIES, DNT MAKE IT A ISSUE THAT HE SHUD BE GIVEN 8-10 CHANCES A GUD PLAYERS IF HE IS CONVERTS WHATEVER CHANCES HE GETS. AND HE HAD HIS SHARE OF GUD CHANCES- DHONI MADE HIM BAT ABOVE RAHANE IN SA N NZ AND VIRAT GAVE HIM NO 3 SLOT . AT THE END OF THE DAY EVERY CAPTAIN NEEDS TO THINK ABOUT WINNING.

Ankit :hatsoff: for the effort.

Rohit is comfortable when he is batting against quick bowling on bouncy pitches but as soon as the bowl starts moving around he is a sitting duck, as he doesn't move his feet much and plays away from the body. Rohit is a very good ODI/T20 player but a mediocre test batsman. Hope the selectors realize this soon and drop him from test squad.

5 minutes ago, Mosher said:

Ankit :hatsoff: for the effort.

Rohit is comfortable when he is batting against quick bowling on bouncy pitches but as soon as the bowl starts moving around he is a sitting duck, as he doesn't move his feet much and plays away from the body. Rohit is a very good ODI/T20 player but a mediocre test batsman. Hope the selectors realize this soon and drop him from test squad.

Lets just say he does well on flat tracks where there is nothing much. What Im shocked is why are selectors n team mngmt picking him up despite knowing he does such basic mistakes. Weight not on front foot, Bat pad gap, head falling are basic mistakes which i picked up while watching his recent innings against Wi board president XI. That means he hasnt improved, now what i fear is even if he gets some runs he ll be given many more chances to fail and he would fail becoz good bowlers and opp will not let him get away with such basic mistakes. Thats what actually happ he scored 2 100s n then struggled against every gud opp. I have gathered this from almost every test of his and few i couldnt post due to size issues and Sa tour clips arent easy to find add to that i when he has thrown wkts like a nutcase at crucial times

He shud have been on Aus-A tour working with dravid on these flaws and karun nair shud have been here. Now that i have seen the selected Wi team i fear more as there is no decent bowler to test him. 

Another thing i forgot to mention above-

1. his elbow position is also wrong everywhere

2. Had all those deliveries had opp movement like An inswing wud have been outswing vice versa of offf spinner a doosra vice versa he still would have been out. As he is in no position to play either. U can see huge bat-pad gaps even when ball has gone away so had it also come back in towards him he wud have been still out. Means on every delivery his chances of getting out are double . 

1 minute ago, mishra said:

Unlike getting out early, Once he gets set (i.e scored few run) time and again i have observed him casually throwing his wicket playing these two shots.

Coz his technique has issues look at the pic at which he is batting at 100 , 72, 79 and those shots are so wrong technically. Thats what gud teams pounce on one mistake ur gone. And then he has had brain-farts in Aus,eng, Ind-sa home series. Both technique n temperament in ques??

Hoe doesnt allways plays those shots. But he can play those shots anytime after he is set. To me, Guys is just too casual. Sometime during his early career, when he was next big thing from India , i commented on icf for non striker to be told to go and slap Sharmaji after every two overs just to awake him. I still stand by that suggestion.

25 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

technique is overrated. The most important thing is temperament. Sehwag had no technique, still, he opened successfully for India in test cricket. Abdv and Amla, two of the most successful batsmen in the modern era has no great technique.

true, temperament is certainely not his forte.  Sehwag , gilly had gr8 mindset . Chanderpaul, steve waugh had great grit as compare to classy looking carl hooper, mark waugh

But if ur Temperament is an issue and u dont know ur game well , technique helps u to survive . U need something going well for u to do well apart from skill . 

Even if u dnt have gr8 technique Head position is really important for both bowling n batting. Abdv, amla, sehwag, gilly had the right head position. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

true, temperament is certainely not his forte.  Sehwag , gilly had gr8 mindset . Chanderpaul, steve waugh had great grit as compare to classy looking carl hooper, mark waugh

But if ur Temperament is an issue and u dont know ur game well , technique helps u to survive . U need something going well for u to do well apart from skill . 

Even if u dnt have gr8 technique Head position is really important for both bowling n batting. Abdv, amla, sehwag, gilly had the right head position. 

it is the temperament that leads to bad positions as he is always indecisive in test cricket. Majeraker had one of the best techniques, same with Akash Chopra but that didnt help them survive longer in test cricket. It is the temperament and skills that matter the most.

Rohit Sharma needs to introspect rather then say this is the way I play, yes that might work in ODI n T20 generally as tracks are for batting , but test cricket is a battle of wills you n the bowler n who will cave in.

Rohit has great hands, sees the ball early and lacks footwork a bit also need to put a price on his wkt, he needs to work on body positioning more then anything else and learn to bat according to the game requirements or he won't last long n is a shame as he will be a waste of talent in test

20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

it is the temperament that leads to bad positions as he is always indecisive in test cricket. Majeraker had one of the best techniques, same with Akash Chopra but that didnt help them survive longer in test cricket. It is the temperament and skills that matter the most.

Aakash didnt have skill , technique yes and tempermanet  also seemed ok with him

Sanjay lacked the right mindset more than anything. Too much thinking doesnt help as compare to someone like sehwag who had the most clear mindset. 

Now i dnt think so there is any ques on Pujara skill or Temp but yet he failed in Nz,Eng , AUS n made runs in SA in the easiest circumstances. That Sa tour was also his 2nd one. His technique was found wanting.

Technique cant be entirely ignored. Abdv amla may not have gr8 technique but they dnt have a poor one like many .

As far as rohit goes skill he has , temperament not and certainely that poor technique doesnt help even when ur set on 72 0r 79. Rohit mindset is also looks really confused. 

So for me atleast 2 are must and yes Temperament is most important . 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
19 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

even in ODIs , when he is unable to score runs , he would blindly go for some lofted shots