Had to convince Murali to attack-Jayawardene

According to Jayawardene, Murali, who is the highest wicket-taker in Test history with 800 scalps, tended to be "a bit stubborn" about his methods and needed cajoling from captains to employ more aggressive tactics.

"Murali was a defensive bowler, but the thing is, they couldn't take him down because he had everything covered," Jayawardene said. "But I was a different captain. I wanted to attack with Murali more, and Murali only attacked when he felt he was in control of the situation, then he'll go all out on attack. But for me it was different, I wanted to use him in a different way. I wanted to create opportunities for him rather than us sitting and waiting for an opening to happen. I think Arjuna (Ranatunga) probably had the same battles with Murali, but with Arjuna, because Murali was young and he was just coming through, he probably didn't have a choice with Arjuna. But with Sanath (Jayasuriya) afterwards as well, it was quite tough for Sanath to tell Murali, 'let's have a bit of attacking mindset'. But that's something that I've always encouraged Murali to do, but we've always found a way to come to a middle ground."

Full article- http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/1039995.html

30 minutes ago, SLICKR392 said:

If Velu has an international wicket, I would rate him over Murali. Made a career out of a fraud action. got sympathy because of his ugly looks. 

His action is not fraudulent. Atleast, not anymore so than 99% of other bowlers. His action is a product of having unique, hyper-flexible wrists. Its pretty self-explanatory if one reads a scientific piece on his action. He has elbow bend in the <15 >10 degrees zone. That happens to be the range where McGrath also, strangely enough, falls,despite having a ramrod-straight looking action.

14 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

His action is not fraudulent. Atleast, not anymore so than 99% of other bowlers. His action is a product of having unique, hyper-flexible wrists. Its pretty self-explanatory if one reads a scientific piece on his action. He has elbow bend in the <15 >10 degrees zone. That happens to be the range where McGrath also, strangely enough, falls,despite having a ramrod-straight looking action.

Murli's bowling action got worse with time. It has nothing to do with his hyper-flexibility but intent. See his bowling videos of 90s and compare them with videos from 2000 on wards when he developed that doosra. They got considerably worse. Even in 1999 WC when Ganguly smoked him at Taunton, his action was pretty good to me but it later progressively got worse as he developed doosra. I didn't really have any problem with his action in 90s.

Here is a video of 1995.  His action looks pretty clean from naked eyes here.

Now compare it to this video from 2006. 

Edited by rkt.india
53 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

He clearly chucked , there is no ifs n buts

I would say he was pretty clean in early part of his career in the 90s. When he was called for chucking in Australia, he looked okay but most of his success came in late 90s and 2000s and that's when his action got worse and he chucked blatantly.

4 hours ago, MCcricket said:

He clearly chucked , there is no ifs n buts

Sorry, science proves you wrong.

3 hours ago, rkt.india said:

I would say he was pretty clean in early part of his career in the 90s. When he was called for chucking in Australia, he looked okay but most of his success came in late 90s and 2000s and that's when his action got worse and he chucked blatantly.

Naked eye test/how one looks bowling on naked eyes is irrelevant to who chucks and who doesnt. As i noted, Murali and McGrath have the same flexion of the elbow. 

8 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

false.

Scientifically, he has been cleared many times. Visually, does not matter. The idea of judging a 3d action from a 2d screen (tv) is as stupid as it gets, really.

Ajmal n Murali R the two worst chuckers in cricket history, n their arms bent to over 25 degree min, he would straightaway be called out in this era, n was lucky that he played cricket

8 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

false.

Scientifically, he has been cleared many times. Visually, does not matter. The idea of judging a 3d action from a 2d screen (tv) is as stupid as it gets, really.

Ajmal n Murali R the two worst chuckers in cricket history, n their arms bent to over 25 degree min, he would straightaway be called out in this era, n was lucky that he played cricket

Murali-Protractor.jpg

2 hours ago, MCcricket said:

Murali-Protractor.jpg

Read your cricket laws. You are allowed to bowl with a crooked elbow. Chucking is changing your elbow angle, not bowling with a crooked elbow. As it happens, every bowler changes his elbow angle when delivering the ball (its biomechanics) and Murali is no worse offender than McGrath.

2 hours ago, MCcricket said:

93118.2.jpg

Now where is the 45 degree bend gone, lol if u can see the proof , u don't wanna see the truth

A 2d image for a 3d angular view is half the story. i.e., optical illusion. As i said, its stupid to judge a 3d thing from a 2d image.