Who is better Lara or Pointing?

Rohan495

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Neither. It's Rahul Dravid. Any batsman can pile on runs at home. The true greats perform away from home. Rahul's record is particularly impressive because he plays for a team that are perennially poor travellers. Rahul's away average of 65 sets him apart as the best Test batsman in the world, ahead of Lara's 48 and Ponting's 51.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Why are we Indians so blind to Rahul's genius anyway? Ponting, in the form of his life, with the huge advantage of never having had to play against Glenn McGrath or Shane Warne in a Test match, reached 9000 runs in 177 innings. Rahul did it in 176, and remains the fastest ever to that landmark. Amazingly, Lara got there in 177 as well.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing?

Why are we Indians so blind to Rahul's genius anyway? Ponting, in the form of his life, with the huge advantage of never having had to play against Glenn McGrath or Shane Warne in a Test match, reached 9000 runs in 177 innings. Rahul did it in 176, and remains the fastest ever to that landmark. Amazingly, Lara got there in 177 as well.
Hey I am not blind to it. He is in my top 5. However the big 3 are SRT, Ponting and Lara. They will be evryones favs cos of flair and style. Their abilities to destroy an attack in both forms of the game.

Ponting, in the form of his life, with the huge advantage of never having had to play against Glenn McGrath or Shane Warne in a Test match, reached 9000 runs in 177 innings. Rahul did it in 176, and remains the fastest ever to that landmark. Amazingly, Lara got there in 177 as well.
SRT took 179 innings. All 4 amazing close. Coming back to the OP, these are the top 3 batsmen in the world at the moment: Ponting Lara MoYo And overall: Lara(just by an inch) SRT Ponting If SRT gets going in RSA and zooms in front of these two, just like he did against Anwar for the ODI ton record, he will be the undisputed #1.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Any list that doesn't include Dravid is not worth the paper it's written on, IMO. How does MoYo, with his abysmal record in SA & Australia, even make it to the list? Is human memory really that short, that every Tom, Dick , & Harry in the form of their life, gets in ahead of the most prolific, most consistent batsman in the world? As for destroying attacks, we are talking Test cricket here. You have 5 days at your disposal. You might as well use it.

Any list that doesn't include Dravid is not worth the paper it's written on, IMO. How does MoYo, with his abysmal record in SA & Australia, even make it to the list? Is human memory really that short, that every Tom, Dick , & Harry in the form of their life, gets in ahead of the most prolific, most consistent batsman in the world? As for destroying attacks, we are talking Test cricket here. You have 5 days at your disposal. You might as well use it.
He is not on in my top 5. However, it is based on current form over last year or so this thread.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Well, Ponting doesn't cut it for me, I am sorry. There's no way I can place him ahead of Dravid, Lara, and Sachin. The guy is a quintessential poor bowler-flat track bully. For the first 2/3rd of his career, with some of the great bowlers still around, he was struggling to get out of the 40s. Noow that the tracks have flattened out, the great quicks are gone, the fella is King? Sorry, don't buy it.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Dhondy, I put MoYo in my list based on current form. Hard to ignore a guy with 6 170+ scores in a year. And dsr, a genius Ponting is not! But he is an exceptional bat. I just hope his form fizzles out like Hayden's did after 3-4 years of run making.(hoping this is the last and final year of that run making)

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? dsr, can we confine our discussions to Test cricket here, please. I don't give a damn for the pyjama version. Ponting has been Dravid's serf for pretty much his whole career. Dravid overtook Ponting in terms of Test batting average in his 9th Test and didn't let go until the first innings of the 101st Test, except for a decimal point slip in the 72nd. The lead lasted for exactly half-a-Test. Dravid was back ahead at the completion of the 2nd innings! Not just that, Dravid has never averaged below 50 since his 39th Test. It took Ponting 66 Tests to achieve this. I hear Ponting being described as the best since Bradman, and makes my blood boil. For most of his career, he has only been good enough to be Dravid's orderly.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? On current form Moyo is up there. But forget current form. If were talking..on ability..if they were all at their peak Then Lara and SRT are in a different league to everyone else in the world, those two have scored runs against FAR superior attacks than the trundlers Ponts and Dravid score off nowadays Lara just shades it as the best IMHO. Ponting as Dhondy rightly pointed out is one who really benefitted from poor bowling/great batting tracks over the last few years...Kaillis and Inzy being others And yes I would say Dravid is better than Punts..if only marginally. Ponting gets alife every big knock he plays..heard he wasnt given out LBW to Giles on 70-odd in this test too...dont know if anyone can confirm... RD has scored a few vs McWarne whom Ponting hasnt faced.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Depends on who you call trundlers, Sooda. Dravid averaged 32.75 against a rampaging Shane Bond in that series, when the rest of the Indians struggled to get into double figures. His innings of 72 in that series is the best bad track knock you could ever hope to see.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Lara is superb...the best batsman in the world. I'd rather he get the title than Ponting or anyone else. He bats with uninhibited abandon and plays the most incredible shots. There is a certain joy associated with his style of play and he is the only batsman i've ever seen (apart from Tendulkar of course) who can captivate his audience and make them follow his every move, as they lie on the edge of their seats. Lara is magic. Dravid tops him when it comes to consistency in performance, but when Lara gets going he has no equal. Tendulkar is the only batsman in his league...the Pontings and the Dravids will belong in the rung below these two.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? And surely, human memory is not fleeting enough to forget Dravid's two match winning knocks in the final Test against WI recently? The rest of the batsmen, including Lara, didn't flippin' know what had hit them. This guy goes out there and scores 160 runs on a minefield. The best poor track batsman in the world. Anybody could make runs on a shirtfront.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? I'm willing Tendulkar to smash atleast 1 ton in RSA. If the recent performances of Lara and Ponting don't motivate him, nothing will. And if remembers who he was and how he batted, the holder of the ton record might just keep it for himself and leave the two challengers in the dust.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? That's aesthetics you are talking about, Predator. I've no problem at all, in accepting that Lara is the more attractive to watch. However, Test matches are all about blood, guts and gumption, and I know who I'd choose if my life depended on the outcome.

Re: Who is better Lara or Pointing? Steve Waugh said Ponting is the best aussie batsman since Bradman. Some accolade from the ice man. Like it or not we have to accept Ponting is a great and a genius. He is easliy the best batsman in test cricket at the moment. Anyone who disputes that is in denail. If I had to choose one batsman to bat for life at the moment it would be that SOB Ponting.