What is Ishant Sharma's role in the team?

Texan

7 hours ago, Texan said:

The reason he doesn't get injured is because he tries to preserve himself while bowling. When he gave his true 100% by bowling bouncers at Lords, he got injured. So now he has learnt to bowl within himself. And why does he even need to bowl at 100% when even bowling at 50% keeps him in the team. 

Agreed. The guy needs to be dropped asap. I would rather have some young bowler try and fail than this proven failure continue as if he was born to play for India. 

On 8/4/2016 at 4:10 PM, mishra said:

They were showing the bowling graph. He was bowling everything around 2 feet wide off off stump and shortish length. I just cant understand why cant he bowl with his body 1 feet closer to stump and just land the ball in the line of off stump.

219rzg1.png

and we need you to draw a line to see how wide he was bowling ? :hmmm:

I have Always maintained that the Ishant is the most pathetic guy to play for India. He was part of all our drubbings we received from Aus twice,England, South Africa and NewZealand. He played on the those green mambas in all away tours we lost and yet averages close to 40! Worst part is he still has fans. For god sake, he was dropped from the playing 11 from all his franchises in Ipl after first 8 matches. Every year a new franchise buys him and the buggers plays first 8 matches again. 

Ishant basically gets to play in tests because he is seen as the only tall " bounce bowler " we have, who can bowl at international pace.  Test captains generally like one such pacer, if not two.

It is time we start looking for other such quicks.

Ankit Rajpoot has the potential to be another such pacer. He is tall, gets bounce, and bowls at almost similar pace to Ishant. Has a good FC record and experience too. Has the ability to swing the ball and MRF coach McGrath considers has often said that Rajpoot should play for India.

Another candidate for " bounce bowler " , who is not ready yet, but should be kept an eye on , is the tall Avesh Khan, who did extremely well in the last U19 WC.

Edited by express bowling

Ishant Sharma is responsible for all the three highest scores made by a batsman against India in the 21 st century.

Alistair Cook – 294 Runs, Edgbaston 2011; Michael Clarke – 329 Runs, Sydney 2012; Brendon McCullum – 302 Runs, Wellington 2014. They were all dropped by Ishant Sharma early on in their innings.

Its obvious he is there to give batsmen free Triple Centuries.

14 hours ago, express bowling said:

Ishant basically gets to play in tests because he is seen as the only tall " bounce bowler " we have, who can bowl at international pace.  Test captains generally like one such pacer, if not two.

It is time we start looking for other such quicks.

Ankit Rajpoot has the potential to be another such pacer. He is tall, gets bounce, and bowls at almost similar pace to Ishant. Has a good FC record and experience too. Has the ability to swing the ball and MRF coach McGrath considers has often said that Rajpoot should play for India.

Another candidate for " bounce bowler " , who is not ready yet, but should be kept an eye on , is the tall Avesh Khan, who did extremely well in the last U19 WC.

You can add Aniket Choudhury to the list to around 6 4" or above, has high action n is 134 to 140 pace wise plus gets bounce n is awkward to face

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

Took a look at bowling averages of bhuvi umesh Aaron etc.

They are hardly setting the world alight....

I have to be frank. Ishant is the best we have after Shami

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Ishant has the worst bowling average and strike rates among Indian bowlers(BK, Umesh, Shami) except Aaron but Aaron has played only 9 tests till now. If Ishant was playing for some other country he would have been dropped long time back. Ishant is at best a third pacer in our team and not a "spearhead". He is a workhorse who is good at holding one end up and bowl long spells with intensity.

Edited by Mosher

All I am saying is we have tried an aweful lot of pacers and to be frank even shami averages 34 with the ball.

The truth is if shami plays 70 tests assuming he does not break down all the time he is going to inch towards 37.

The way I see it if ishant can slowly get his average to 35 by the end of his career I guess its OK by Indian standards.

That's not to say he should never be dropped. But we have seen what happened to punkaj Singh. He was really hyped up by all and had a horror debut.

Sandeep Sharma was supposed to be the find of the IPL but was whooped by zimbabwe.

Our last major away series victory v England in 2007 we had sree who averages 37 in 27 tests and rp Singh who averages 42.

I guess ishant was also not helped by playing mostly under defensive captain like msd. Remember so many times his job was just plug an end up.

2 hours ago, G_B_ said:

All I am saying is we have tried an aweful lot of pacers and to be frank even shami averages 34 with the ball.

The truth is if shami plays 70 tests assuming he does not break down all the time he is going to inch towards 37.

I don't think so.  Because Shami has has shown improvement after returning from injury.  He is setting up batsmen  regularly and is getting more bounce.

6 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Took a look at bowling averages of bhuvi umesh Aaron etc.

They are hardly setting the world alight....

I have to be frank. Ishant is the best we have after Shami

If Bhuv is given a decent consistent run in the team, I don't see how he can be any worse than Ishant. With Aaron unfortunately I don't have much hopes. I would rather try some other pacers. Bumrah, Sran, some of the other pacers mentioned could be given a run. Honestly, even Pandya could potentially bowl better than Ishant. He bowls a similar wide of off stump line and back of a length. Despite playing 70 Tests, even a simple fact like bowling from close to the stumps and keeping the ball on off stump line, not 2 feet wide has not been able to permeate Ishant's thick skull. 

Now lets be fair to Bhuv. He was our standout bowler in England. He didn't just bring wickets but also brought control to proceedings when other bowlers were getting hammered. Unfortunately he got injured and when he made a comeback, he had very forgettable performance in one match in Sydney. One match. That too coming after an injury. Even so, he batted with spunk in both innings that helped India hold on to a draw. If we are playing with 5 bowlers, his batting will come in handy. All in all, I'd take Bhuvi over Ishant. What is the point of bowling phhhassttt if it is delivered short and wide outside off stump. 

Also, lets not forget a majority of Bhuv's Test matches have been against Australia and England, two of the best three Test teams. Dumb@$$ Dhoni didn't play Bhuv in NZ where conditions would have been ideal for Bhuv and we could have actually won a series there.