Sign in to follow this  
sourab10forever

Will we win a single medal this time ?

If we win even one medal, I will do nothing

I have no hope for our hockey teams.

Tennis is virtually over

No one of substance in boxing or weightlifting

Possible medal in wrestling/badminton/shooting.

I thought we were actually improving after Beijing and London.. clearly not. Will always remain the laughing stock of the world in Olympics. I actually feel we should not send anyone apart from the Hockey teams as we are clearly never going to be medal winning standard. Why waste tax payers money to bring disappointment.

Boxer Shiva thapa is ranked 2 or 3 in the world...so may some hope here as well.

In archery I thought one should go with the attitude like 'tera  kuch nahi ho sakta bhai' then only you can perform  , otherwise there's too much pressure.

11 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Hmm India have really got off to a bad start

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

The only event where we where favs for a medal hope till now was Jitu Rai , who choked badly in the finals . 

Archery team had an outside chance , but this is not the first time we have messed up in olympics ..last edition we where one of the favs but for some reason they have not translated their form and world rankings into a medal .

this is more of an indictment on sporting federations in india. it is not enough to increase your olympic contingent and be proud of that. there should be better focus on improving the quality of the athletes sent. most of our athletes would give south africans a run for their money in choking department.

7 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

this is more of an indictment on sporting federations in india. it is not enough to increase your olympic contingent and be proud of that. there should be better focus on improving the quality of the athletes sent. most of our athletes would give south africans a run for their money in choking department.

The problem is not the athletes who are competing . As a country we only care about them once in 4 years & for most of these guys if they dont win a medal they will most likely struggle to meet ends . Most of these guys have qualified on their own and are either world class are close to being one . if we have to start translating these potential into sure shot medals we need a even bigger base .

5 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

The problem is not the athletes who are competing . As a country we only care about them once in 4 years & for most of these guys if they dont win a medal they will most likely struggle to meet ends . Most of these guys have qualified on their own and are either world class are close to being one . if we have to start translating these potential into sure shot medals we need a even bigger base .

i agree. india needs to spend more on sports and invest in the infrastructure for these athletes. there is such a large youth population which is basically going to waste with every passing year. however, there is  also a need for mentally tough competitors. the hockey loss was totally abysmal. how do you allow a team to score from so far out in the last 3 seconds? 

Very gloomy for India now. I doubt if we can win even one this time.

Very disappointing. I looked forward to Rio this year with a lot of hopes and belief that we will win more than 6 medals at the bare minimum. Living in the US, Olympics is the talked about event now, but I have nothing to talk about my athletes. I feel very bad. 

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

We should stop participatingin Olympics.

Rather, we should start working on providing good sports psychologists to our athletes to handle pressure. Most, if not all big names have faltered because of the inability to handle pressure situations. 

20 hours ago, Nova said:

Yeah ok. Don't belittle the hard work of participants.

There's more to Olympics than winning medals. 

That was an incomplete post. I meant stop participating for a few years and work on preparing athletes who can win you a few medals and rather than participating in  a lot of events, just prepare for some specific ones. 

Lol at people here being critical of Indian athletes who struggle to make ends meet and train hard for shot at once in lifetime chance of glory with world & India watching but fail to win. Be proud these guys are competing at a prime event despite the disadvantages and poverty of infra and lack of technical support.

Do you guys even know how much UK and Australian governments invest in sports every year? Humangous.

Nearly every school in US has minimum 25m swimming pool and a green field.

China has setup factories to manufacture gold medalists.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

That was an incomplete post. I meant stop participating for a few years and work on preparing athletes who can win you a few medals and rather than participating in  a lot of events, just prepare for some specific ones. 

I agree that administration should focus on improving funding, infrastructure, etc. The current state is such that if we stop participating, India will just forget about the Olympics. Better to be a regular part of the system to improve and soak the pressure. As much as everyone is craving for medals, don't forget that participation is equally important. It's about the struggle and that you have fought well and given your everything. It would be a great disservice to individual athletes who have taken up different sports dreaming of being part of the Olympics and tell them that they cannot participate until they can bring home medals. Why stop anyone who has qualified for their event? I can't imagine how it must feel to compete at this level.

Such a jinxed campaign. 

Shooting and Archery were colossal disappointments. 

Hockey never had any hope to begin with.

Saina got injured 10 day before the start. 

Shiva Thapa got first ranker in first round itself. 

Hope after this debacle there are some changes in sports structure. 

7 hours ago, chewy said:

Lol at people here being critical of Indian athletes who struggle to make ends meet and train hard for shot at once in lifetime chance of glory with world & India watching but fail to win. Be proud these guys are competing at a prime event despite the disadvantages and poverty of infra and lack of technical support.

Do you guys even know how much UK and Australian governments invest in sports every year? Humangous.

Nearly every school in US has minimum 25m swimming pool and a green field.

China has setup factories to manufacture gold medalists.

Don't think anybody is criticising the athletes.. most of us are just feeling sad that's it.

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

I hope sack all the top officials at the IOC after this fiasco.Pretty sure most have been leeching in their positions for 15-20 years .

No point t=blaming the athletics 

The question is,will they ever take moral responsibility and offer to resign. If I were one, I would have stepped down by now.

17 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I hope sack all the top officials at the IOC after this fiasco.Pretty sure most have been leeching in their positions for 15-20 years .

No point t=blaming the athletics 

I dunno much about the IOC officials, but I threw up when I found out Praful Patel is president India Football Federation.

With money sucking scums like these littered around Indian sporting organisations, no way India going to be a global success at sports...and this includes cricket. 

1 hour ago, Adi_91 said:

The question is,will they ever take moral responsibility and offer to resign. If I were one, I would have stepped down by now.

Moral responsibility in India ? We dont know what that term even means :hysterical:

Just remember how Kalmadi and Srini acted when there were actual calls for them to resign.

1 hour ago, chewy said:

I dunno much about the IOC officials, but I threw up when I found out Praful Patel is president India Football Federation.

With money sucking scums like these littered around Indian sporting organisations, no way India going to be a global success at sports...and this includes cricket. 

Just look at the Archery association .Malhotra has been president for nearly 45 years since it came into existence despite plenty of corruption allegations.Will this be allowed in any other country's professional body despite not a single success.

Most of these affiliate associations are like full of politicians filled with allegations corruption and nepotism.But since most are controlled by politicians no one wants to change status quota.Why would they care about Indian winning medals when it will have zero impact on their positions.

14 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Most of these affiliate associations are like full of politicians filled with allegations corruption and nepotism.But since most are controlled by politicians no one wants to change status quota.

Supreme Court needs to intervene again and order that no politician can be an official of sports associations. SC did it for BCCI, better do it for other sports too. These crooks won't remove themselves, so what other option is left really. 

I hope we don't win a single medal, so the government could get up it's ass and take a good, hard look at the state of sports in the country. Maybe, just maybe, with Modi at the helm, things could improve, even if not dramatically, compared to before. We will need thousands of crores of investment in sports infrastructure before it starts to yield any results. And that needs to come from the government.

On 8/17/2016 at 3:57 AM, TNAmarkFrmIndia said:

I hope we don't win a single medal, so the government could get up it's ass and take a good, hard look at the state of sports in the country. Maybe, just maybe, with Modi at the helm, things could improve, even if not dramatically, compared to before. We will need thousands of crores of investment in sports infrastructure before it starts to yield any results. And that needs to come from the government.

We did not win a single medal in 1992 either...did it change anything?

SInce then some individual brilliance has seen some odd medals but that's about it...nothing to do with the sports bodies or government.

Such a jinxed campaign. 

Shooting and Archery were colossal disappointments. 

Hockey never had any hope to begin with.

Saina got injured 10 day before the start. 

Shiva Thapa got first ranker in first round itself. 

Hope after this debacle there are some changes in sports structure. 

all said and done .hearing this a since Sydney Olympics,but we are still the same .Outcome doesn't change in terms of medals.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, Stuge said:

all said and done .hearing this a since Sydney Olympics,but we are still the same .Outcome doesn't change in terms of medals.

Slightly disagree. There is growing awareness among Indians that we have to start taking Olympics seriously. I see more Indians following Olympics now and the Indian contingent and wanting them to win medals.

This is a big change from Sydney. From even Beijing. I still feel that Abhinav Bindra's gold in 2008 set the tone for change in mindset among Indians. More and more athletes are now performing better. 

I agree this Olympics was 2 steps backward, but the mindset I hope won't go back to the past and focus on future.

Slightly disagree. There is growing awareness among Indians that we have to start taking Olympics seriously. I see more Indians following Olympics now and the Indian contingent and wanting them to win medals.

This is a big change from Sydney. From even Beijing. I still feel that Abhinav Bindra's gold in 2008 set the tone for change in mindset among Indians. More and more athletes are now performing better. 

I agree this Olympics was 2 steps backward, but the mindset I hope won't go back to the past and focus on future.

Awareness doesn't bring medal.Training right people does.As long as sports other than cricket can becomes ones breadwinner . It's hard to expect people to take up sports.

Are people seriously blaming management (or lack of it) for failure of Indian athletes? Give your head a shake. 

Indians suck at sports - or any athletic activity for that matter. Since India isnt a commie regime where the state starts selective breeding programs to create a optimal gene pool, people are going to have to wait a few decades for the conditions to become suitable to produce world class athletes. 

22 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Awareness doesn't bring medal.Training right people does.As long as sports other than cricket can becomes ones breadwinner . It's hard to expect people to take up sports.

Well, without awareness, how do you expect kids to take up sports?

I myself learnt a lot about other sports only after watching London 2012 games. And with more stars emerging, our kids who are anyway glued to TV sets will start to learn more and may take up sports. 

A Saina Nehwal has already inspired young minds to take up the sport. And I still back our shooters to do better in Tokyo as the sport anyway is grueling under pressure for athletes.

I know awareness alone can't win us medals, but at least, there is a hope for a better Olympic future. 

Well, without awareness, how do you expect kids to take up sports?

I myself learnt a lot about other sports only after watching London 2012 games. And with more stars emerging, our kids who are anyway glued to TV sets will start to learn more and may take up sports. 

A Saina Nehwal has already inspired young minds to take up the sport. And I still back our shooters to do better in Tokyo as the sport anyway is grueling under pressure for athletes.

I know awareness alone can't win us medals, but at least, there is a hope for a better Olympic future. 

Kids won't even if they are aware .We shouldn't be quoting somebody like Abhinav Bindra ,who was rich enough to hire best of trainers even then he buckled under pressure .

read about difficulties faced by Gagan Narang and other shooters.Getting guns in India legally is no easy task ,and shooting is still an elite sports imo.

7 minutes ago, Stuge said:

Kids won't even if they are aware .We shouldn't be quoting somebody like Abhinav Bindra ,who was rich enough to hire best of trainers even then he buckled under pressure .

read about difficulties faced by Gagan Narang and other shooters.Getting guns in India legally is no easy task ,and shooting is still an elite sports imo.

What about the event itself? Any idea how it is to shoot, let alone in an Olympic games?

Let's not belittle his achievements and question his social status and tie with his performances. Being rich alone won't yield much, unless our athletes start believing.

1 hour ago, surajmal said:

Are people seriously blaming management (or lack of it) for failure of Indian athletes? Give your head a shake. 

Indians suck at sports - or any athletic activity for that matter. Since India isnt a commie regime where the state starts selective breeding programs to create a optimal gene pool, people are going to have to wait a few decades for the conditions to become suitable to produce world class athletes. 

Looks like you didn't watch the badminton match today....you need to watch it before you come up with such analysis....PV Sindhu looked like a world class arhlete over powering her opponent.

Similarly Shakshi had to win 4 wrestling games in 4 hours 5 if you include the one she lost to win a bronze...you know how much stamina and athletic ability is required to acheive a feat like that in a physical sport like wrestling? I don't know either and but I can definitely guess and conclude it is way beyond the capability of a key board warrior like me.

Going back to your point yes the management is to blame...the wrestlers and badminton players (no these are not selective examples as India has been producing top level athletes in these 2 disciplines for a while) are the product of well managed academies and training facilities. There is a government owned wrestling and badminton frderation but they have done jack for these athletes but these athletes have already shown how sportsmen can thrive under good and capable management.

This has nothing to do with genes etc. You probably have been listening to too much Imran Khan and his mountain men theories about fast bowling.

Edited by maniac

1 hour ago, maniac said:

Looks like you didn't watch the badminton match today....you need to watch it before you come up with such analysis....PV Sindhu looked like a world class arhlete over powering her opponent.

Similarly Shakshi had to win 4 wrestling games in 4 hours 5 if you include the one she lost to win a bronze...you know how much stamina and athletic ability is required to acheive a feat like that in a physical sport like wrestling? I don't know either and but I can definitely guess and conclude it is way beyond the capability of a key board warrior like me.

Going back to your point yes the management is to blame...the wrestlers and badminton players (no these are not selective examples as India has been producing top level athletes in these 2 disciplines for a while) are the product of well managed academies and training facilities. There is a government owned wrestling and badminton frderation but they have done jack for these athletes but these athletes have already shown how sportsmen can thrive under good and capable management.

This has nothing to do with genes etc. You probably have been listening to too much Imran Khan and his mountain men theories about fast bowling.

you are the one bringing up pakilund's theories, not me. Nature is important, as is nurture. One can compensate by having one over the other (like athletes from poor african nations - who strictly hit the gene lottery) but Indians lack both. Hence the general suckitude of Indian athletes. 

No govt program/funding can make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Indian cricket is a perfect example. Plenty of facilities, attractive salaries for even domestic players, yet a sea of mediocrity. Considering the population base (not just the country but the number of people playing the sport recreationally, competitively at school/college/state level),  if Nature/Nurture wasn't important, India should have been able to field 10 world class teams simultaneously by now... we struggle to field even one. 

Accept it, We suck. 

Edited by surajmal