Sign in to follow this  
sandeep

Kuptaan's Foolhardy Bravado leads India into the abyss

1. Foolish Avoidable mistake # 1 - benching your best test batsman to accomodate Rahul and Dhawan in the team. 
  2. Doubling down on the first mistake by benching Pujara and bringing in the greatest wicket-thrower Indian team has ever seen.
  3. Foolish Avoidable mistake - Risking himself to the new ball at the fall of the early wicket.  Sure credit to him for having the right "attitude" at the individual level.  But as a Captain, he has to primarily put his team and players in positions to succeed.  This was a mistake from that perspective.  

Kohli's choice of batsmen, as well as batting order, were wrong today.

Dropping Vijay  was the worst of his decisions  and promoting himself to no.3 against the new ball, was unnecessary as he was doing so well at no.4.

What I would like to see is, whether he learns from these mistakes or not.

In an earlier series, most probably against SL, he had chosen Rohit over Pujara but  rectified this probably the next match after Pujara got a ton and Rohit failed.  I would like him to do the same thing in the next test and choose Vijay and Pujara replacing Dhawan and Rohit.

Edited by express bowling

27 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Kohli's choice of batsmen, as well as batting order, were wrong today.

Dropping Vijay  was the worst of his decisions  and promoting himself to no.3 against the new ball, was unnecessary as he was doing so well at no.4.

What I would like to see is, whether he learns from these mistakes or not.

In an earlier series, most probably against SL, he had chosen Rohit over Pujara but  rectified this probably the next match after Pujara got a ton and Rohit failed.  I would like him to do the same thing in the next test and choose Vijay and Pujara replacing Dhawan and Rohit.

Vijay was dropped or injured?  i thought he was injured and may not have fully recovered

Absolute foolishness by kohli today. I have no issues with his love for taking things in hand and playing aggressively to control. But dhawan n rohit cant be ur weapons as they have misfired time n again. 

He needs to end his love for these 2 or nothing would change for our test cricket

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Some posters have confirmed that Kohli has said that Vijay is fit. That means he was  dropped.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/81936/murali-vijay-or-kl-rahul-virat-kohli-yet-to-take-a-call

The good thing is Vijay has been in a good head-space. He's back to the nets and back to fielding. We'll take a call on that. We still have to discuss that.

20 minutes ago, Scarface said:

Vijay was dropped

hmm..really surprising if true.  has there been an official statement or just speculation from the fans. 

Because if they were going to drop Pujara, then Vijay Dhawan would have opened and Rahul at #3 was the more logicial step than completely changing the batting order by including Rohit

Edited by PBN

3 minutes ago, PBN said:

hmm..really surprising if true.  has there been an official statement or just speculation from the fans. 

Because if they were going to drop Pujara, then Vijay Dhawan would have opened and Rahul at #3 was the more logicial step than completely changing the batting order by including Rohit

But Rohit is talented.

2 minutes ago, PBN said:

From Kohli yesterday press conference

India captain Virat Kohli was quite cryptic about resolving the happy headache around the choice of openers, but he did suggest M Vijay was fit when he said the management would have to make the tough call after practice.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-india-2016/content/story/1044087.html

pujara can be dropped for nonperformance but not his delhi teammate ishant. plus, who the * benches vijay for sharma?

for all those dhoni fans who thought we wouldn't criticize kohli, ur wrong. this is appalling captaincy. 

Edited by FischerTal

What I want to know is to what extent is Kumble responsible for this? Ie Kohli is still a young captain. Surely this is where the coach steps in and makes the call

From what I remember when MSD was made captain in tests regularly Dravid Ganguly Laxman Kumble Sachin were involved in decision making along with Gary who was a huge influence.

Edited by G_B_

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

What I want to know is to what extent is Kumble responsible for this? Ie Kohli is still a young captain. Surely this is where the coach steps in and makes the call

From what I remember when MSD was made captain in tests regularly Dravid Ganguly Laxman Kumble Sachin were involved in decision making along with Gary who was a huge influence.

This is a Captain call, kohli made rohit play at 3. Rahul has been benched for dhawan, so its a kohli call. 

Karn sharma was his move

All are aggresive moves but with wrong people.

He has all the right ideas about winning test matches, he selects leg spinner, bowlers with pace and people who can score fast but his choice of people for that are wrong.

M ok with it as soon as he learns, i dont want him to change his intent to win but find better player for it

I am concerned about how this will affect Vijay going forward. This is a player who has been India's best batsman over the last two years in test cricket and one who very much thrives on confidence

I think this may have a negative affect on VJ and some insecurity. Being dropped because the captain has his favorites in Rohit and Dhawan

Ridiculous

9 minutes ago, UnknownGenius said:

I am concerned about how this will affect Vijay going forward. This is a player who has been India's best batsman over the last two years in test cricket and one who very much thrives on confidence

I think this may have a negative affect on VJ and some insecurity. Being dropped because the captain has his favorites in Rohit and Dhawan

Ridiculous

it wont be surprising if he starts acting as if he has achieved what he can already. He is a confidence based player, needs to be wanted.

1 hour ago, Silva said:

Trying to think of a worse selection ever made by a captain from any team ever. Dhawan + rohit ahead of pujara and vijay? 

this T20 generation doesnt understand test cricket. They want to play test cricket in T20 way.

Also shows that Kumble is not having much say in the selection process.

Anyone with intact brain cells will pick Vijay,Pujara ahead of Dhawan,Rohit unless you are desperate for win,want to rattle WI in one session or keeping weather in the picture as there is prediction of rain here..

Look at the Indian batsmen in test cricket-

dd7f5186a5b2e69829866a7ab281ed5d.jpg

Top 2 are dropped and bottom 2 are left out.

We can only hope for Kohli to learn from this..But this isnt the first time.Even in the Galle test Rohit was dismissed in the most absyml way(Actually twice in first innings)but wasnt questioned as whole batting lineup was blamed for the batting debacle.Had Pujara been there,India would have won that match.

18 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

Anyone with intact brain cells will pick Vijay,Pujara ahead of Dhawan,Rohit unless you are desperate for win,want to rattle WI in one session or keeping weather in the picture as there is prediction of rain here..

We can only hope for Kohli to learn from this..But this isnt the first time.Even in the Galle test Rohit was dismissed in the most absyml way(Actually twice in first innings)but wasnt questioned as whole batting lineup was blamed for the batting debacle.Had Pujara been there,India would have won that match.

Nice stats.

Even prediction of rain does not justify Vijay's omission.   Difficult to understand how the experienced Kumble endorsed it.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Nice stats.

Even prediction of rain does not justify Vijay's omission.   Difficult to understand how the experienced Kumble endorsed it.

I really dont see Kumble into decision making , he must have had his views but at the end of the it captain who takes call. 

I hope kohli must have learned his lesson, Vijay do not deserve to sit on any grounds. Kohli has to learn quicky who are the right player and whom not and if he wants to play  a certain type of aggresive cricket well he should as selectors for better players. 

Reminds of the time when sourav ganguly was tempted with Sehwag sucess as opener that he wanted to make yuvraj open with him at cost of well settled pair of Aakash chopra n sehwag. Thanx to mcgrath who made a mockery of the idea 

Ganguly wants Yuvraj as opener in Tests

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2004/jun/13gang.htm

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Nice stats.

Vijay or Pujara or whatever...You just dont change your team just based on the weather prediction to include a player who can change match in one session.

I really dont see Kumble into decision making , he must have had his views but at the end of the it captain who takes call. 

I hope kohli must have learned his lesson, Vijay do not deserve to sit on any grounds. Kohli has to learn quicky who are the right player and whom not and if he wants to play  a certain type of aggresive cricket well he should as selectors for better players. 

Reminds of the time when sourav ganguly was tempted with Sehwag sucess as opener that he wanted to make yuvraj open with him at cost of well settled pair of Aakash chopra n sehwag. Thanx to mcgrath who made a mockery of the idea 

Rohit was picked even with Virat-Ravi shastri.

Now with Virat-Kumble.

Who is common here??Kohli..It is no brainer..Kohli loves Rohit.

1 minute ago, Bigg Brother said:

Vijay or Pujara or whatever...You just dont change your team just based on the weather prediction to include a player who can change match in one session.

By that way they should have send an Sos to Bcci to call yusuf, hardik n raina. 

No matter what u do not bench a performer like Vijay for an absolute failure like Rohit

1 minute ago, Bigg Brother said:

Now with Virat-Kumble.

Yup i have no doubts about it that it was move by kohli, he even made him play at 3.

I understand his idea that he wants someone like Sehwag who has that kind of impact but wrong person. 

He also a wanted a leggie in Aus so he choose karn sharma over ashwin, again a right idea but wrong person.

Kohli has the right idea but he is choosing fools for the job and he has to learn really quickly or else we r dooomed. His love for Rohit has to end.

12 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

Now with Virat-Kumble.

It is quite clear that Rohit has been included because Kohli wants it.  

But Kumble needs to guide him when he makes inexperienced decisions.

The bottom line is that Kohli should have learned his lesson & he should understand Rohit does not have the skills,temparement to be a test player.

The selectors should do him a favour & should not select him in the squad for the next series.Instead a young player should be selected who is has hunger in him to succeed.

7 minutes ago, Vibhash said:

One can understand why captain doesn't have confidence in Pujara, but dropping Vijay for anyone is criminal.

captain does not have confidence in Pujara who has helped them team win in 3 of the last 7 tests he played  but has confidence in Rohit's game changing ability in session which no one has seen yet. The ultimate stupidity.

20 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

captain does not have confidence in Pujara who has helped them team win in 3 of the last 7 tests he played  but has confidence in Rohit's game changing ability in session which no one has seen yet. The ultimate stupidity.

Not saying that dropping Pujara for Rohit was right, but at least we knew that his place was fixed in the team. However no one could have imagined that Vijay could lose a spot from this Indian team.

7 hours ago, Bigg Brother said:

Rohit is indeed poor.

a top order of Vijay/rahul/pujara

middle order of Kohli/rahane/ashwin

lower order of Saha/bk/jadeja or mishra

thats a difficult line up to take 20 wickets against IMO. I know Kohli is all about ruthless aggression but defense is the best offense and this line up gives you the best chance at preventing opposition from getting 20 wickets while increasing your teams chance at getting 20 wickets by still having 5 bowlers available.

12 minutes ago, Silva said:

a top order of Vijay/rahul/pujara

middle order of Kohli/rahane/ashwin

lower order of Saha/bk/jadeja or mishra

thats a difficult line up to take 20 wickets against IMO. I know Kohli is all about ruthless aggression but defense is the best offense and this line up gives you the best chance at preventing opposition from getting 20 wickets while increasing your teams chance at getting 20 wickets by still having 5 bowlers available.

dude :hmmm:

Nice to see the mask is finally off. Someone who did not criticise a senior, veteran captain a single time even when made blunders, after blunders after blunders for years, is now criticising a really young captain who is just learning in his first over seas series. Worst thing is, this guy pretends to be neutral. This was a match on a flat pitch where almost an entire day was washed off and yet he is blamed for a draw

The best thing? Kohli just proved how willing to learn he was after he made mistakes and make changes, instead of acting like a stubborn mule and keeping the same team every match. He is in the learning and experimenting phase but as he has repeatedly said, he would rather lose than always chase the safer option. You can argue the changes were due to Kumble but I am pretty sure the previous captain would have over-ruled the coach. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.