Sign in to follow this  
sandeep

Why is Rohit Sharma playing Tests for India? Look no further than Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina

No more.  Enough.

Enough of giving him chances on the basis of his white ball prowess.  He has proven time and again that he just does not have the temperament or technique to succeed at the test match level.  I was a huge Rohit Sharma fan from 2007 to about 2014.  I was one of those who repeatedly argued for additional chances for him because I believed that once he got it right, he could be one of the greatest.  Today was another golden, arguably undeserved opportunity for Rohit to come through for himself and the team.  And in vintage inimitable Rohit Sharma fashion, he gives his wicket away, edging a ball that could have been left alone, especially considering the circumstances.  

He's done as a test player.  Time to turn the page.  I don't care who gets a shot in his place.  But it is time to cut your losses and close the investment in Rohit as a Test Match cricketer.  

Not much I can say to defend rohit today as they say the performance speaks for itself on the same day when Dhawan kohli etc also bombed...so I will also put aside the obvious fact that wi bowling was really good early on and the pitch was difficult....anyways fact of the matter is  Rohit bombed

I understand the anger and frustration of indian fans....totally acceptable .

as I have admitted before time is ticking for rohit...no doubt and some might argue time has passed....debatable but I think your argument has gained more momentum after today.

having said that, one thing I find objectionable is calling him a hack, someone who doesn't work hard, no talent etc etc.

for arguments sake lets go with the popular notion that he is a FTB and a LOI player....let us look at his strengths and  the reason why I still think there is a ray of hope

Point 1 Rohit is one of the most consistent 6 hitter in LOI especially against pace- this proves great hand eye coordination which is a great gift primary for a batsman

now argument against this would be that likes of Afridi,Pollard etc are great 6 hitters too

Point taken which brings me to

Point 2 Rohits 6 hitting ability came in marathon innings and not some hacky slogfests....this is a guy who holds the world record for most 6s in an innings....this proves stamina,endurance and temperament to play long innings and that consistent 6 hitting ability in big innings proves all that. But these marathon innings came on flat tracks is the next argument which brings me to 

Point 3- these where  innings played in games where rest of the batsman didn't do much and also if you are able to hit your way to a 200 even on a flat pitch and out score others by miles in this process, you are blessed with another ability which  is picking the length and line of the ball way way early that gives you the extra time to time the ball and pick your spots to clear the boundary at will

Now we have covered factors like temperament,hunger for big runs, hand eye coordination, extra time or gift of timing,stamina, endurance, ability to pick line and length etc.

now let us look at some obvious weakness...picking the movement of the ball...now since Dravid tell me one batsman who has perfected that?

yes, he has performed mediocre in tests but also the pressure factor is there and this is where captain and coach have to step in.

playing the kind of knocks he had on the flattest of pitches too takes a lot of those factors as mentioned and most of it translates to a good test career always....so why he is not performing upto mark at the test arena is a mystery to me.

ask yourself today was a weak opposition....why would a proven match winner fail in such a situation? It has more to do with pressure which effects the best of us.

wish for his career to end at your own discretion.

I hope a youngster grabs his chance and performs at the level we all had hopes from rohit to perform but it is a sad waste of a once in a life time talent.

I still think he should get a consistent run of 6-7 more innings but today would be a wrong time to say that lol.

I am not a fan of an individual player but of Indian cricket and this is a heartfelt post keeping in mind the benefit of the latter.

Edited by maniac

8 hours ago, maniac said:

Not much I can say to defend rohit today as they say the performance speaks for itself on the same day when Dhawan kohli etc also bombed...so I will also put aside the obvious fact that wi bowling was really good early on and the pitch was difficult....anyways fact of the matter is  Rohit bombed

I understand the anger and frustration of indian fans....totally acceptable .

as I have admitted before time is ticking for rohit...no doubt and some might argue time has passed....debatable but I think your argument has gained more momentum after today.

having said that, one thing I find objectionable is calling him a hack, someone who doesn't work hard, no talent etc etc.

for arguments sake lets go with the popular notion that he is a FTB and a LOI player....let us look at his strengths and  the reason why I still think there is a ray of hope

Point 1 Rohit is one of the most consistent 6 hitter in LOI especially against pace- this proves great hand eye coordination which is a great gift primary for a batsman

now argument against this would be that likes of Afridi,Pollard etc are great 6 hitters too

Point taken which brings me to

Point 2 Rohits 6 hitting ability came in marathon innings and not some hacky slogfests....this is a guy who holds the world record for most 6s in an innings....this proves stamina,endurance and temperament to play long innings and that consistent 6 hitting ability in big innings proves all that. But these marathon innings came on flat tracks is the next argument which brings me to 

Point 3- these where  innings played in games where rest of the batsman didn't do much and also if you are able to hit your way to a 200 even on a flat pitch and out score others by miles in this process, you are blessed with another ability which  is picking the length and line of the ball way way early that gives you the extra time to time the ball and pick your spots to clear the boundary at will

Now we have covered factors like temperament,hunger for big runs, hand eye coordination, extra time or gift of timing,stamina, endurance, ability to pick line and length etc.

now let us look at some obvious weakness...picking the movement of the ball...now since Dravid tell me one batsman who has perfected that?

yes, he has performed mediocre in tests but also the pressure factor is there and this is where captain and coach have to step in.

playing the kind of knocks he had on the flattest of pitches too takes a lot of those factors as mentioned and most of it translates to a good test career always....so why he is not performing upto mark at the test arena is a mystery to me.

ask yourself today was a weak opposition....why would a proven match winner fail in such a situation? It has more to do with pressure which effects the best of us.

wish for his career to end at your own discretion.

I hope a youngster grabs his chance and performs at the level we all had hopes from rohit to perform but it is a sad waste of a once in a life time talent.

I still think he should get a consistent run of 6-7 more innings but today would be a wrong time to say that lol.

I am not a fan of an individual player but of Indian cricket and this is a heartfelt post keeping in mind the benefit of the latter.

Gotta say.  I admire your passion and sheer dogged mindedness on Rohit.  But you have to be a bit clear eyed.  But its one thing to be seduced by potential great rewards and another to be completely blinded by it.  

Look at the modes of dismissal of Dhawan, Kohli and Rohit.  Once you do that, you cannot say that hey the other 2 guys failed and he did also.  Kohli got a quality ball that was super quick and jumped up from short of a good length.  If you want to be brutally honest, yes he was technically exposed there a bit.  He was in the wrong position to play that ball given the fact that it was D1S1, ball was new and the wicket was doing a bit.  But at the end of the day, it was a very good delivery that would have troubled most international class batsmen.  

Dhawan got strangled down the leg-side - pure and simple execution error.  Not shot selection.  Sure, Dhawan is a bit loosey goosey with his technique and someone with better focus and tighter technique either leaves the ball or executes the shot right.  Maybe.  But you cannot say that he made a shot selection or mental error where he was playing a ball he should not be.  

Which brings us to the great wicket thrower.  Laat Sahib walks in at 77/3, 20 overs have been bowled.  Team is clearly in a bit of strife and needs to rebuild.  I would not be as harsh with Rohit if he got out to a quality ball or got out due to a execution error.  The reality is that he pushed at a ball that was more than a foot outside off-stump, only intending to defend it.  Not a scoring shot or even looking to rotate strike, just defend.  It is such a basic fundamental shot selection error that even a Ranji batsman should be ashamed of that.  And its the same mistake that the great wicket thrower has made so many times already.  If you are worthy of playing test match cricket, you simply do not give your wicket away in this fashion, in such a situation.   You put a price on your wicket.  You play within yourself according to the situation.  You do not go "feeling" for the ball 5 stumps away from off-stump just because the teenage debutant bowler has bowled 6-8 good balls to you and kept you quiet at the beginning of the session.  

I understand that given the quality of Rohit's hitting once in flow is so good that its easy to be seduced.  Heck our young captain has got seduced by it.  But batting in test matches has some pre-requisites.  You have to be able to meet those fundamental requirements.  Else the Afridis and Lance Kluseners of the world would be Test ATGs.  

The problem is 

Rohit fails in test cricket and gets dropped

Rohit scores a daddy hundred in ODI/T20 cricket

Rohit gets back into the test squad

Rohit gets picked for some flimsy reason cause he is friends in dressing room

Rohit fails in test cricket and gets dropped

Rahane is like an inverse

Rahane fails in ODI/T20 cricket and is dropped

Rahane scores a fast 100 in tough conditions in test cricket

Rahane picked in odi/t20 cricket squad

Opener (mostly Shikar) sucks so Rahane gets a chance

Rahane fails in ODI/T20 cricket and is dropped

The only difference between Rahane and Rohit is (a) Rahane usually bats all over the place in ODIs and T20s. Ie nobody accommodates him unlike Rohit in test cricket. (b) Usually Rahane is in the playing 11 cause he replaces a player who is not playing well or there is an injury

Ultimately the selectors needs to stop picking Rohit for tests and Rahane for limited overs. Rohit is a very good limited overs player, Rahane is a very good test player. I am sure specialization will help their cause in the format they are best suited to. In the case of Rahane unlike Che he has a well paying IPL contract. So I dont think losing out of LOI is going to be a major financial blow. Atleast poor Che has no IPL contract and does not get paid well enough just to be a test player. Something the BCCI needs to address.

I would like the BCCI to sit down with Murli Rahane and Che and say look guys we know you will miss out on IPL etc. How about you concentrate just on test cricket and in return we will pay you a contract of 5 crore a year for a duration of 3/4 years. You can play for eg county cricket when IPL is on etc. 

You get a feeling with Rahane, he is comfortable with tests but wants to push for LOI due to the earning potential.

Edited by G_B_

Good post comparing the cases of Rahane and Rohit.  Rahane has got 1/100th the slack and "accomodation" that Rohit has got.  But I disagree about Rahane's ODI capabilities.  Rahane has got the game to be a quality ODI opener in the Amla mould.  But has hardly got the opportunity.  He has been pushed into the #4/5 slot in ODIs where his batting style is frankly ill-suited, especially in a top-heavy lineup like ours.  Note that Rohit failed abysmally when forced to do the same, inspite of his great hitting abilities.  

After India beat the West Indies in the third Test on Saturday, skipper Virat Kohli, in his post-match chat, refused to beat around the bush. If he had said it any clearer, it would have been something to the effect of, “If Test cricket becomes a one batsman sport then Rohit Sharma would be that batsman because he deserves to be given more chances and to hell with everyone else, thank you”.

What seemed somewhat covert is now written in stone: Rohit Sharma is now a Test mainstay even before he is a Test mainstay. Sharma's being given every chance to succeed, albeit at the cost of another player who has already come good, is not something entirely new to Indian cricket.

Well before Sharma started to flirt with the longer format, Suresh Raina and Yuvaj Singh were given the nudge. Followed by yet another nudge. And another. And another. It just didn’t work out.

Singh made his Test debut almost 13 years ago. From 2003 right up to 2012, he played Test cricket every year – adding up to 40 chances. In his second Test, Yuvraj scored his first fifty; in his third, his first century. He ended up with three tons, eleven fifties and a career average of 33.92. All his hundreds were scored in the subcontinent against Pakistan. That’s how distant Yuvi’s Test successes are. He made his Test debut three years after he started playing One-Day Internationals for India.

Raina played his first Test five years after he made his ODI debut for India. Between 2010 and 2015 – still the Dhoni years – he wangled 18 Tests. Creditable, as, in spite of N Srinivasan at the helm of world cricket, bowlers were allowed to bowl bouncers at this Chennai Super Kings' star.

Raina made a hundred on debut and a half-century in his next Test. He did not add to the hundreds, but clocked three ducks in his last three Test innings. And five in his last seven. By the time he signed off in 2015, his Test career evoked evil cackles, spawning numerous "pull" jokes. Come the Indian Premier League every year, we were reminded he was the tournament’s top scorer and had never missed a match. Then, he got married.

A gifted player

Sharma made his Test debut in 2013, almost six years after he played his first ODI. Naturally, you know of his twin hundreds against the West Indies Invitation XI. They are part of lore. Since then, Sharma has been fortunate to play a Test every year, adding up to 17 across four years. Since his Test debut in India, he has played Tests in South Africa, New Zealand, England, Australia, Sri Lanka, India again, and now in the West Indies.

His Test average is more than Raina’s 26.48, but at 32.62, it’s a shade lower than Singh’s 33.92. His batting strike rate of 52.24 is less than Raina’s 53.14 and Yuvraj’s 57.97. With two tons, he has one more than Raina, one less than Singh. The Test careers of Raina and Singh are history. Neither has been picked for the Twenty20 Internationals against the West Indies in Florida later this month.

Sharma will almost certainly play in the fourth Test, bat at five, and open India’s T20 innings against West Indies. Singh played during the Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly, and VVS Laxman years – to become a Test regular, he had to outperform them. For Raina, to be a Test mainstay, he had to battle his short-ball demons.

For Sharma, neither challenge exists. If anything, the entitlement and long rope that he’s been handed could eat at him. There’s a long home season calling, and it’s been served to Sharma by none other than his captain. Some players sure are gifted.

http://thefield.scroll.in/814000/why-is-rohit-sharma-playing-tests-for-india-look-no-further-than-yuvraj-singh-and-suresh-raina

So we just won a series 2-0 with 1 test to go....and the focus is on team selections?

Infact the 2nd test had a more satisfactory combination for the "critics" which ended in a draw.....no blame on the players just that the opposition stepped up on that day.

These wrist slitters are getting annoying now

Now is the ideal time to incorporate Rohit, since that is what Kohli wants. With 19 Asian tests, he can get a consistent run playing in the team. Everyone will see whether he is good or not by the end. 

I wonder if Kohli will play only 5 bowlers in India, we may not need a 5th as we generally have turning tracks, and spinners can bowl much longer spells. If Kohli includes an extra batsman, the pressure on Rohit would be eased. 

One thing is defence of rohit which can be said is that he has a solid ranji record and has led mumbai to ranji titles. Neither yuvi nor raina had that.

Interesting to note when he made his debut he took a spot from Rahane at 6 who as I recall had spent nearly 2 years on and off on the bench.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

virat should avoid this topic ,creates unnecessary distractions and puts both rohit and pujara under pressure and cause rifts in the team.

Virat needs to do much more than that. Especially if he continues to fail at 3 to accommodate rohit...

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

That's a wrong analysis on so many levels. 

Rohit's FC record and Yuvi or Raina's records are very different. 

Yuvraj or Raina never had the temperament to play long innings. 

I feel a good run of test matches at home will give him confidence as he is not mentally strong like Virat or Rahane to come good in first away tour while being in and out of team.  

2 hours ago, maniac said:

So we just won a series 2-0 with 1 test to go....and the focus is on team selections?

Infact the 2nd test had a more satisfactory combination for the "critics" which ended in a draw.....no blame on the players just that the opposition stepped up on that day.

As one of the guilty parties myself, I actually agree with that.  We should be celebrating more and criticizing less.

2 hours ago, maniac said:

Discussing team win. Discussing team selection. They are not mutually exclusive.

Team win - The team as a whole played well and won. Everyone's happy that the team won.

Team selection - Your best opener is benched. Your least successful batsman is picked. Your two best batsmen are played out of their regular positions to accommodate your least successful batsman. Your captain says going forward, to accommodate our least successful batsman, we may again bench our best opener and we may again play our two best batsmen out of their regular positions.

So yeah forgive people wanting to discuss what the fcuk is going on.

Edited by philcric

I think we can all have this continous debate about both Rohit n Pujara but we can get our answers when they play next. Good thing is both would be tested at home not in overseas which could prove costly but on the flipside what worries me they have scored at home n as soon as they travelled overseas both of them struggled . 98% are against rohit, 60 against Pujara well but i think 100% us wants vijay to play so i hope he gets to play now coz he has earned it. 

Rohit vs Pujara- Both have technical issues which most batsman do have. Actually what both of them are suffering from is mental issue. This situation reminds of Yuvraj vs Aakash chopra scenario when in 2004 post yuvi blitz in Pak sourav felt he could make another sehwag. So he decided he ll make yuvraj opener which made Aakash insecure and he could do watever he was doing. Sourav n dravid had divded opinion on this . Neways so yuvraj opened and mcgrath made a mockery of him and immediately yuvi was dropped. Now Sourav had a gr8 idea and yuvi had a gr8 stroke play like sehwag but the diff was mindset. On the other hand aakash chopra the so called victim like pujara well in reality they had to ask themseleves when they had a chance did they do really that great . No they didnt, if they didn their place wouldnt have been in question. They both should make use of whatever chances they get and im sure both will get enough in near future or else just perish as there is enough batting talent thats coming. Dont look far away see Kl rahul how he has taken his game to another level and how much he has been in n out . Kl rahul is just a 1.5 yr old in Int cricket whereas as both Pujara n Rohit has played a lot more. 

Batting is not about grinding or free strokeplay its actually about making runs, those two are just methods and its works differently for diff people. Both cant cry as victim as one avg 22 in last 15 test and other is busy making 30-40. Sorry both of them wont benefit team. Their fans should understand team is bigger than both and its high time excuses are not given as their perfomance makes those excuses look ridiculous. Now both would get chances, one will get 1st and another 2nd but their job is to make runs when given a chance. If they gonna cry pressure well might as well get lost coz International cricket is about pressure. Most great cricketers have scored when they about to be dropped or they are trying to make a place and i can give xample after xample. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

^^ Don't think it's necessarily Rohit Vs Pujara.

It's more about ...

Whether Pujara is good enough to be in the team. By general consensus, this is up for debate.

Whether Rohit deserves his chances so much that the whole batting lineup has to be shuffled to accommodate him. By general consensus, a big NO.

But I don't remember Yuvi or Raina being this bad for 29 innings. Even Raina played a key role in winning a test series in West Indies.  And keep in mind they were in the team as number 6 or 7 specialist after 5 great specialist batsman + Dhoni who was also a decent batsman. You can see why Team management might have wanted an aggressive batsman who could bowl a bit in a team only 4 specialist bowlers. Rohit is being picked as basically the number 5 batsman with only all rounders coming in after him. plus  the teams 2 best batsmen are forced play out of position while keeping Vijay (who has also been one of Indias best batsman) and Pujara sitting on the bench. The faith being put on Rohit is much bigger than the faith that was put into Raina and Yuvi. The comparison really doesn't come close.

2 minutes ago, philcric said:

^^ Don't think it's necessarily Rohit Vs Pujara.

It's more about ...

Whether Pujara is good enough to be in the team. By general consensus, this is up for debate.

Whether Rohit deserves his chances so much that the whole batting lineup has to be shuffled to accommodate him. By general consensus, a big NO.

Its Rohit vs Pujara coz as of now ur top 4 batsman are kohli, rahane, vijay and rahul so its a toss up between Pujara rohit n dhawan. Vijay did sit out in last game but i dnt expect that to happen for long as he'll be back and he is mentally tough player so i expect him to be on money righty away.

Its basically about the debate of 5th batsman and we have been debating about these two only. We all can have our opinion that who deserves a chance but ultimately its captain wish. Now if he wants to let him give maggie final chance and if he fails i hope his case id done for once n all. I can understand a player like him is always a temptation to an aggressive captain so let him satisfy his wish or else he ll keep giving him 1-2 games and despite his failure he wont drop him coz he ll feel he didnt give him a fair run. IF rohit is good enough he ll do well or else we are most welcome to Bajao Kohli for it. Pujara will also get his chances once Rohit fails and he shouldnt feel upset about it . Rather he should work on his game in off time like dravid did when he was dropped from team. If Dravid was his ideal then follow him right way and see how he fought his way back. And he should feel victim also as his perfomance wasnt great enough . If he would have scored runs he would have bee in team. If he is dropped it is for a reason and better communicate with team,know it and work on it. 

41 minutes ago, philcric said:

Discussing team win. Discussing team selection. They are not mutually exclusive.

Team win - The team as a whole played well and won. Everyone's happy that the team won.

Team selection - Your best opener is benched. Your least successful batsman is picked. Your two best batsmen are played out of their regular positions to accommodate your least successful batsman. Your captain says going forward, to accommodate our least successful batsman, we may again bench our best opener and we may again play our two best batsmen out of their regular positions.

So yeah forgive people wanting to discuss what the fcuk is going on.

Huh? So many threads and news articles about Rohit's position and how it is affecting the balance of the team etc etc. and how many threads do you actually see that acknowledges the obvious fact that this is a "HISTORIC WIN" 2-0 in the WI has not happened before for us......Infact should have been 3-0.

The surprising part is there was a lot of maturity shown relatively in the drawn game that should have been won  but the moment a few changes were made and we won,now team selection has become a burning issue and a national debate lol.

Yeah they are not mutually exclusive but sure as hell they are interdependent.

Best opener is benched-Agreed 100%...Vijay ahead of Dhawan...discussed...done to death.

For some reason the Pujara-Rohit debate keeps to go on and on and on and on.

Was Pujara unfairly dropped-don't think so.

Was Rohit the fair replacement-Again an argument that is done to death.

Where there any other backup batsmen as replacement-Yes,there was one available

Was he played-Yes he was

Was his name Rohit?-Yes

Was Rohit the fair replacement- now again the argument cycle continues

Now to Rohit's credit his innings gave the impetus and momentum in the 2nd innings despite the first innings failure,so debate still hangs in balance.

For now better to go with the winning combo....so not sure why there is so much hue and cry

Edited by maniac

50 minutes ago, maniac said:

Huh? So many threads and news articles about Rohit's position and how it is affecting the balance of the team etc etc. and how many threads do you actually see that acknowledges the obvious fact that this is a "HISTORIC WIN" 2-0 in the WI has not happened before for us......Infact should have been 3-0.

The surprising part is there was a lot of maturity shown relatively in the drawn game that should have been won when the team but the moment a few changes were made and we won,now team selection has become a burning issue and a national debate lol.

Yeah they are not mutually exclusive but sure as hell they are interdependent.

Best opener is benched-Agreed 100%...Vijay ahead of Dhawan...discussed...done to death.

For some reason the Pujara-Rohit debate keeps to go on and on and on and on.

Was Pujara unfairly dropped-don't think so.

Was Rohit the fair replacement-Again an argument that is done to death.

Where there any other backup batsmen as replacement-Yes,there was one available

Was he played-Yes he was

Was his name Rohit?

Was Rohit the fair replacement- now again the argument cycle continues

Now to Rohit's credit his innings gave the impetus and momentum in the 2nd innings despite the first innings failure,so debate still hangs in balance.

For now better to go with the winning combo....so not sure why there is so much hue and cry

Go with the winning combo .. that's a stupid thing to say, especially in this instance when it is quite possible we won in spite of that (batting) combo and not because of it. 

Top Order (1-3) ... Vijay, Rahul, Dhawan, Pujara .... Vijay & Rahul the first 2 picks on ability / past performances / current form. The remaining spot is debatable between Dhawan and Pujara.

Middle Order (4-5) ... Kohli and Rahane. Both of them doing consistently well for a while now. No need for a change here.

So, you bring a new player (who has been a failure so far) and put him at #5 (where a problem didn't exist) and move your #4 (where a problem didn't exist) to #3 potentially creating a new problem for him and the team.

Let me put it in an even simpler way ...

Do we have a problem in the top order? May be. Can Rohit fix it? NO.

Do we have a problem in the middle order? NO. Can Rohit fix it? Doesn't matter, there's nothing to fix.

Edited by philcric

40 minutes ago, maniac said:

Huh? So many threads and news articles about Rohit's position and how it is affecting the balance of the team etc etc. 

Yeah annoying, man. But gotta suck it up. The way the rest of us do when people talk about mythical talent and not runs scored, lame excuses for failures, bigging up non existent bowling ability, hyping the least required virtue of test match batting - 6 hitting ability, and sometimes flat out lies.

21 minutes ago, philcric said:

Go with the winning combo .. that's a stupid thing to say, especially in this instance when it is quite possible we won in spite of that (batting) combo and not because of it. 

Top Order (1-3) ... Vijay, Rahul, Dhawan, Pujara .... Vijay & Rahul the first 2 picks on ability / past performances / current form. The remaining spot is debatable between Dhawan and Pujara.

Middle Order (4-5) ... Kohli and Rahane. Both of them doing consistently well for a while now. No need for a change here.

So, you bring a new player (who has been a failure so far) and put him at #5 (where a problem didn't exist) and move your #4 (where a problem didn't exist) to #3 potentially creating a new problem for him and the team.

Let me put it in an even simpler way ...

Do we have a problem in the top order? May be. Can Rohit fix it? NO.

Do we have a problem in the middle order? NO. Can Rohit fix it? Doesn't matter, there's nothing to fix.

You seem to be a very organized guy,let me break it down to you

Step 1-Dhawan,Vijay and Rahul-All 3 openers....tap into basic cricketing 101-only 2 openers required.

Outcome-Common sense- pick 2....Vijay and Rahul on ability....now Surplus Dhawan-what do we do with him?

Step 2-Dhawan at No 3 or Pujara?

Outcome-basic cricketing acumen-Pujara

Step 3-Analyze Pujara's current form and his ability to accelerate-

Outcome Form-None,Ability to accelerate-Non existent

Step 4-Look for backups

Outcome-Rohit Sharma

Step 5-Assess Rohit's Stats

Outcome- ABility on paper-unmatched  Stats-Average Ability to accelerate-5 stars

Final evaluation-Opposition bowling-Below-Par and a weak team

Target-to reach No 1

Plan to achieve target- Bat the opposition out of the game...not to be confused with grind the opposition out of the game

End Result-Pick Rohit

Key takeaways-Revisit this when conditions and opposition and current combo changes and revisit options

To be really frank, Kohli's backing of Dhawan and Rohit could mean the end of Vijay and Pujara for good. Since Rahul has done well, he will keep his opening spot and with India not playing overseas for another year and a half, Kohli might continue with Dhawan as the second opener. I don't know if Rohit will succeed or not in tests. He did succeed in ODI after 5-6 years of continuous backing in spite of failures. Now he he is receiving the same amount of backing in the tests, he surely is the luckiest cricketer ever to play for India.

1 hour ago, maniac said:

You seem to be a very organized guy,let me break it down to you

Step 1-Dhawan,Vijay and Rahul-All 3 openers....tap into basic cricketing 101-only 2 openers required.

Outcome-Common sense- pick 2....Vijay and Rahul on ability....now Surplus Dhawan-what do we do with him?

Step 2-Dhawan at No 3 or Pujara?

Outcome-basic cricketing acumen-Pujara

Step 3-Analyze Pujara's current form and his ability to accelerate-

Outcome Form-None,Ability to accelerate-Non existent

Step 4-Look for backups

Outcome-Rohit Sharma

Step 5-Assess Rohit's Stats

Outcome- ABility on paper-unmatched  Stats-Average Ability to accelerate-5 stars

Final evaluation-Opposition bowling-Below-Par and a weak team

Target-to reach No 1

Plan to achieve target- Bat the opposition out of the game...not to be confused with grind the opposition out of the game

End Result-Pick Rohit

Key takeaways-Revisit this when conditions and opposition and current combo changes and revisit options

The bolded bits. This is the kind of stuff where you lose all your credibility.

(Side Note - For a long time I thought you were like one of those spoof twitter accounts (like the Nasir Jamshed one) where stuff gets said with tongue firmly in cheek, but later I realised you are just a silly fanboy who has propensity for hyperbole).

I mean it's fine if you believe Rohit can become a good test player. But what the fcuk does "ABility on paper-unmatched" even mean? May be he should be playing cricket on paper?

Regarding "ability to accelerate", it comes into picture only when runs are being scored. In tests, if you are not scoring big runs, it doesn't matter if you have the "ability to accelerate". 

Most of the test batsmen's SR is between 45-55. Not much of a range and hardly the most important thing. The basis of test batting is the volume of runs. Then comes the ability to survive tough periods. Then comes the ability to score fast.

Edited by philcric

1 hour ago, philcric said:

I mean it's fine if you believe Rohit can become a good test player. But what the fcuk does "ABility on paper-unmatched" even mean? May be he should be playing cricket on paper?

Regarding "ability to accelerate", it comes into picture only when runs are being scored. In tests, if you are not scoring big runs, it doesn't matter if you have the "ability to accelerate". 

It means Rohit  is a superb book-cricket player. Sort of makes sense as it needs luck and we all know who the luckiest cricketer is.    ( For those of you who do not know, book cricket is a game where you open the page of a book and the last digit of the page to your left is your run.  This  process continues.  If it is a zero, you are out. )

And you cannot deny that he can accelerate the fall of wickets of the Indian team in a test match. Previously it was direct...now it is also by sending one of our best batsmen at no.3.....I give him 5-star too.        :flute:

Edited by express bowling

The comparison is a bit unfair IMO. Yuvraj and Raina never had any stellar FC records to back their accent into Test cricket. In contrast, Rohit has consistently averaged 50+ in FC cricket. Rohit definitely earned his spot in the Test team with FC performances to back his LOI performances. On the contrary, Yuvraj and Raina got their spots solely due to their LOI exploits. Of course, after Rohit got picked, he got plenty of opportunities to prove his mettle and so far he hasn't met with much success. 

1 hour ago, Texan said:

The comparison is a bit unfair IMO. Yuvraj and Raina never had any stellar FC records to back their accent into Test cricket. In contrast, Rohit has consistently averaged 50+ in FC cricket. Rohit definitely earned his spot in the Test team with FC performances to back his LOI performances. On the contrary, Yuvraj and Raina got their spots solely due to their LOI exploits. Of course, after Rohit got picked, he got plenty of opportunities to prove his mettle and so far he hasn't met with much success. 

Yuvraj averages 49 in  FC matches leaving aside tests.  That is decent.

10 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

A year ago, Rohit was meant to bring "flair" to the no. 3 spot.

In 2016, he's supposed to be the "dangerous" option at no. 5.

I guess his next avatar will be a Gilchrist type counter-attacking no. 7 in 2017. :giggle:

He was also meant to be an off spinner

Till , last yr he even planned to be a seaming all rounder but that needs hard work which is not his forte. So that idea has gone into hidding

Wait till his few failure and it would hit the team that they basically using him wrong. HE is a natural opener and he should be opening like sehwag . He is next sehwag and then he ll get chances at open as well only to realize that he would fail at that to

6 hours ago, Texan said:

Y ru taking domestic so srsly, there are tons of domestic legends who were joke in Int cricket. 

Last yr when Rohit didnt play 1st 2 test against Sa he played for mumbai n scored a big ton and what happend when he played last 2 test A total of 23-24 runs in 4 innings. And he was in form also before that as he scored runs in T20 n ODi against Sa. 

Before that also he was dropped and then he made comebacks on basis of 200-300s in domestic but in International cricket the story was diff. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

This guy has played at positions from 3 to 6 and failed royally in each one of them. Poor Rahane also had to kicked around to bat at no.3 and now no.4 to accommodate this legendary bat. Now Kohli has also started moving for him.

Next we should drop one of the openers and make him open, who know we may find the next Sehwag :agree:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.