Race to numero uno in test rankings

Asim

24 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

In that case even India lost to umpires in the 2007 Aus tour, otherwise India would have won 2-1 instead of Aus winning 2-1

was just looking at points... right now top 4 sides are just too close, only 1,2 series wins/losses can put them anywhere

Similarly #5,6,7 had not any big difference.

However I see ind to constantly remain at No.1 (even if they temporarily lose it now) for next 1/1.5 year at least...

4 hours ago, Asim said:

You mixing up 2 different things... umpiring issue I was talking was WI series 2000...

Pak vs Ind 99, 2 Tests series was obv 1-1 draw... 3rd Tests was a part of Asian Test championship which Pak won and I was saying many Pakistanis take it as a series win just because on that tour we won 2-1 vs ind

To be fair, you have to say Pakistan won the 99 series.  That Asian test championship is BS. 

But also to be fair, you cannot claim that one bad decision cost you a test series.  If a team deserves to win a test series, they can easily overcome a bad decision or 2.  Test cricket gives you time and opportunity to exert dominance and overcome a bit of bad luck.  

Meanwhile Ireland making hoicker Sharjeel look like a fat Yuvraj.  Good on him to cash in though.

Edited by sandeep

^ I think Asian Championship was a good idea but should be hosted in single country if ever happens again... UAE would be nice ;)

and yeah obv nobody can claim it as a series win :) and indeed Pak missed a run out chance too after that decision... was a thriller, Pak had hard-luck and we missed a golden opportunity to win vs somewhat stronger WI side...

26 minutes ago, Asim said:

^ I think Asian Championship was a good idea but should be hosted in single country if ever happens again... UAE would be nice ;)

and yeah obv nobody can claim it as a series win :) and indeed Pak missed a run out chance too after that decision... was a thriller, Pak had hard-luck and we missed a golden opportunity to win vs somewhat stronger WI side...

Asian test championship in SL will be good idea.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

i do not understand why should wash out games should affect team rankings or points!

a washed-out draw vs played draw is debatable but there is another little flaw in this and the fact is Ind became no.1 just because of that flaw :)

They update ranking after each match instead of series...

so current indian 112 points are bcz till 3rd match, ranking system take it as indian 2-0 win in 3 match series... but after 4th match ranking system will see it indian 2-0 win in 4 matche series vs 8th ranking team (will obv result in reduced points now).

45 minutes ago, Asim said:

a washed-out draw vs played draw is debatable but there is another little flaw in this and the fact is Ind became no.1 just because of that flaw :)

They update ranking after each match instead of series...

so current indian 112 points are bcz till 3rd match, ranking system take it as indian 2-0 win in 3 match series... but after 4th match ranking system will see it indian 2-0 win in 4 matche series vs 8th ranking team (will obv result in reduced points now).

No, ranking system doesn't count WI series. 

India had 112 points before WI series. It doesn't count whether India won or lost matches in WI. 

34 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

No, ranking system doesn't count WI series. 

India had 112 points before WI series. It doesn't count whether India won or lost matches in WI. 

so you are saying india started this series with 112 points and a 2-0 series win vs WI not going to give them even a single point? infact ind going to lose couple of points even after this series win?

31 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

We don't give team extra points for winning a washed out game.

what is 'winning a washed out game'?

17 minutes ago, Asim said:

so you are saying india started this series with 112 points and a 2-0 series win vs WI not going to give them even a single point? infact ind going to lose couple of points even after this series win?

what is 'winning a washed out game'?

Yes, India started with 112 points and will lose 2 points if they end the series with 2-0. They will end up with 110 points.

Similarly Pakistan were at 111 points before the start of Eng series and they didn't get any point.

That was a typo. Teams don't get extra points for washed out game.

It will be Australia losing no 1 spot to India or Pakistan. 

Edited by Trichromatic
9 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

Yes, India started with 112 points and will lose 2 points if they end the series with 2-0. They will end up with 110 points.

Similarly Pakistan were at 111 points before the start of Eng series and they didn't get any point.

That was a typo. Teams don't get extra points for washed out game.

It will be Australia losing no 1 spot to India or Pakistan. 

Right, a bit strange then, I thought it does get updated after each match...

then other possible reason for such drop could be the current standing of teams, WI quite low in Test ranking ranking... e.g Aus vs Bangladesh 3 match series: probably draw games or like 1-0 win for Aus might give BD some point and Aus might lose few, looks fair enough for such cases though...

19 minutes ago, Asim said:

and in that case, I agree there should be some different criteria for 'washed-out' draw games vs fully or reasonably complete played games...

How do we define a washed out game?

21 minutes ago, Asim said:

Right, a bit strange then, I thought it does get updated after each match...

then other possible reason for such drop could be the current standing of teams, WI quite low in Test ranking ranking... e.g Aus vs Bangladesh 3 match series: probably draw games or like 1-0 win for Aus might give BD some point and Aus might lose few, looks fair enough for such cases though...

Updating after every match doesn't make sense. Rankings will fluctuate too much it is updated after every match. Btw, position of a team doesn't matter in ranking calculations.

Beating a no 7 SA is team is no different that beating no 2 Pakistan team. Only thing matter is whether difference between ratings of two teams in more than 40 or not.

India has 112 points, so series results with any team with more than 72 points will give them same points.

Edited by Trichromatic