India need more sportsmen like P.Gopichand not like some of our cricketers

maniac

I don't want this to be lost in the obscurity of the other sports forum as this guy deserves genuine appreciation

Now Gopichand in his day was an accomplished player....one of the finest badminton players produced by India no doubt but then when he retired what did he do

Opened up a world class academy that has produced champion players-Saina,Sindhu,Srikanth etc etc......from what I hear he is a hands-on coach and every player in his academy has nothing but high praise for the guy.

While some of our cricketers are either giving their gyan about tracer bullets etc or busy travelling the world.....none have actually stepped up to groom  future champion cricketers.....Infact the coaches in the maidans of big cities or even in smaller states despite lack of funding have done a better job than our cricketing heroes.

I mean how difficult it is to set up an academy to fix our age old problem of fast bowling?

Now Gopichand is also opening up an academy in Noida to generate more talent.

I think we need to appreciate the efforts of this man and question ourselves, while we hero worship some of our cricketers,it is people like these who make a difference as role-models.

Same amount of appreciation if not  more need to be given to the coaches in those cricketing maidans or the Ustaads/Gurujis in the Akhadas that are producing some amazing world-class wrestlers and boxers despite the lack of resources.

I have singled out Gopichand here because he is a rare case of an Indian sportsman of some repute who has actually given back :hatsoff:

Edited by maniac

Yes Gopichand needs appreciated for his efforts but it's not the job former cricketers or other former sportsmen to produce next generation .

That's why we have sports bodies for .It's BCCI's job not Sachin or Dhoni .

Imagine these sportsmen who virtually sacrifice most of their childhood/teenage years to drive succeed in their sports .And then spend years touring the world without much time for your family or kids .

Then expecting them to again involved coaching or setting up academies is nonsense .It's a great gesture and service if they do but not something we should expect .

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, beautifulgame said:

Yes Gopichand needs appreciated for his efforts but it's not the job former cricketers or other former sportsmen to produce next generation .

Then expecting them to again involved coaching or setting up academies is nonsense .It's a great gesture and service if they do but not something we should expect .

Charity or Service is not mandatory,totally agree...it is up to the individual

That's why we have sports bodies for .It's BCCI's job not Sachin or Dhoni .

I am sure there is a Indian badminton federation too

Imagine these sportsmen who virtually sacrifice most of their childhood/teenage years to drive succeed in their sports .And then spend years touring the world without much time for your family or kids .

Well if they burnout on the sport it is totally understandable and their contribution as sportsmen while playing the game is not questioned here,infact the ones who achieved the a lot of success in this sport need to be appreciated for their dedication.

However,we have agreed that the intention to provide service is purely the individual's discretion but how come no such examples come in mind when we mention cricketers.The closest I can think of is Dravid who rejected a cushy coaching gig and decided to focus on the junior levels. If it is a weightlifter or a track and field athlete from India well it can be excused.... but a cricketer? I mean should we be concerned that off all the cricketing heroes we have,there is not a single one out there apart from Dravid to some extent who do not care about giving back to the sport....Let us look at some of the big names in recent times

Sachin-What does he even do these days?

Kapil Dev-Hotelier and Hindi commentator

S.Gavaskar-Commentator

Ganguly-Administrator and occasional analyst

Laxman-Commentator

Srinath-Match referee

Kumble-Coach of the senior team

Rest of the popular names are all either administrators or commentators or Sidhu

16 hours ago, maniac said:

Well if they burnout on the sport it is totally understandable and their contribution as sportsmen while playing the game is not questioned here,infact the ones who achieved the a lot of success in this sport need to be appreciated for their dedication.

However,we have agreed that the intention to provide service is purely the individual's discretion but how come no such examples come in mind when we mention cricketers.The closest I can think of is Dravid who rejected a cushy coaching gig and decided to focus on the junior levels. If it is a weightlifter or a track and field athlete from India well it can be excused.... but a cricketer? I mean should we be concerned that off all the cricketing heroes we have,there is not a single one out there apart from Dravid to some extent who do not care about giving back to the sport....Let us look at some of the big names in recent times

Sachin-What does he even do these days?

Kapil Dev-Hotelier and Hindi commentator

S.Gavaskar-Commentator

Ganguly-Administrator and occasional analyst

Laxman-Commentator

Srinath-Match referee

Kumble-Coach of the senior team

Rest of the popular names are all either administrators or commentators or Sidhu

As I said they sacrificed most of their career and prime years in a tough environment driven by success .If u see most sportsmen (not just cricketers) they are the same.

Because after living under constant pressure most would prefer pressure free post retirement .

Just look at how many footballers nowadays prefer TV jobs instead of coaching .

Even for cricketers, how many top English or Aussie cricketers of the past involved in coaching ? Hardly anyone .

As I said it's great what the likes of Gopichand and Dravid are doing .It's the job of the sporting body to produce quality sportsmen .Asking for Sportsmen to do it is just excusing the incompetence of sporting body .

Just look at Germany for perfect example.How many former great players are involved in football coaching .Hardly anyone yet they produce the footballers by far .Because their association invested in First class local coaches and infrastructure.Thats the solution to produce quality sportsmen .

Asking for former players to do that job is not only selfish and unfair to them , but also just populist demand which won't yield ling term results .

@maniac

Coaching is different skill set altogether. None of the cricketers you've mentioned may turn out to be good coaches. Its one thing to fine tune a Ranji playing cricketer to make him competent on the world stage, its completely another thing to take a raw talent that far. Calls for a lot of patience, improvisation etc. And there are ex players, Pravin Amre, for instance who coach at the grass root levels too.

Edited by Mariyam

Surprise,Surprise.....2 Medals produced by a well organized and well run academy in 2 olympics...almost could have been 2 more with Srikanth and Kashyap last olympics. what more proof do we need?

Every star cricketer from this generation or the generation before are a product from good to great coaches from those dusty maidans....MRF pace foundation has not yielded those golden results but still some credit needs to be given to Shekhar but that's about it.

Now I know Sehwag and Pathan brothers are running an academy and then there is also Tenvic by Kumble and hope they will turn it around but the difference with GopiChand's academy is the hands-on coaching and care.

Gopichand too doesn't run his academy for free or charity but I am sure the fees are affordable as all players who made it are from normal middle class backgrounds....The difference is his level of involvement in scouting talent and then grooming them.

If Sehwag or Pathan bros are actually involved in the day to day talent scouting and grooming of the young players then I will appreciate them too.

So far Gopichand has pulled it off and :hatsoff: to him.

Its not about academy or coaching , yesterday they were showing How Pulela note down every point which his players are winning or losing so in future he could correct mistakes and teach others. He is living his life through his students. If any cricketer can become as good coach as Gopi , he will do great service to nation.

7 hours ago, Singh bling said:

Its not about academy or coaching , yesterday they were showing How Pulela note down every point which his players are winning or losing so in future he could correct mistakes and teach others. He is living his life through his students. If any cricketer can become as good coach as Gopi , he will do great service to nation.

True and also the fact that he is doing this as FULL TIME job. Not like, some charity stuff. That involvement matters!