New Zealand Tour of India - 3 Tests 5 ODIs - Sep 22 to Oct 29

With only 3 weeks or so left for the commencement of the 1st Ind-NZ test in Kanpur, it's never too early to start discussions!  Traditionally, the Kiwis have struggled in India, but they bring some great batting talent led by Williamson.  The ghost of Brendon McCullum and his 300+ rescue act still lurks in my mind and am ready for a home whitewash.  But am also eager to see the emergence of some solid, long-term prospects who can solidify the batting and spice up the bowling.  

What would your India squad of 16 look like for the first test?

My XI: Rahul, Vijay, Rahane, Kohli, R. Sharma, Ashwin, Saha, Kumar, K. Yadav, Shami, I. Sharma

Reserves: Pujara, K. Nair, U. Yadav, Nathu Singh

Fire away!

1st test - Sep 22 - Kanpur

2nd test - Sep 30 - Kolkata

3rd test - Oct 08 - Indore

1st ODI - Oct 16 - Dharamsala

2nd ODI - Oct 19 - Delhi

3rd ODI - Oct 23 - Chandigarh

4th ODI - Oct 26 - Ranchi

5th ODI - Oct 29 - Vishakapatnam

Edited by laaloo
10 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Whats the calendar/schedule for this series?

1st test - Sep 22 - Kanpur

2nd test - Sep 30 - Kolkata

3rd test - Oct 08 - Indore

1st ODI - Oct 16 - Dharamsala

2nd ODI - Oct 19 - Delhi

3rd ODI - Oct 23 - Chandigarh

4th ODI - Oct 26 - Ranchi

5th ODI - Oct 29 - Vishakapatnam

My  Test  Team  against NZ

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Mukund

Ashwin

Saha

Jadeja

Shami

Umesh

Reserves - 

Manish Pandey

Ishant 

Mishra

--    Vijay and Pujara are the best players of spin in our team and it is important that both are chosen.

--    In India, pacers who can reverse the ball at pace do well....hence Umesh and Shami. Umesh averages 23 in India and Shami 16.

--    Jadeja is a must in India. His darters are very effective on spinning tracks.

--     Mishra can replace Mukund based on the pitch and Ashwin will bat at no.6 then

Edited by express bowling
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

My  Test  Team  against NZ

Vijay

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Mukund

Ashwin

Saha

Jadeja

Shami

Umesh

Reserves - 

Manish Pandey

Ishant 

Mishra

- -   Vijay and Pujara are the best players of spin in our team and it is important that both are chosen.

--    In India, pacers who can reverse the ball at pace do well....hence Umesh and Shami. Umesh averages 23 in India and Shami 16.

--    Jadeja is a must in India. His darters are very effective on spinning tracks.

All great points, but two things:

(1) Explain the Mukund pick more :-).  (2) If we are picking Pujara based on his ability to play spin, why not send him #5 and Rahane #3? 

1 minute ago, Moth2Flame said:

All great points, but two things:

(1) Explain the Mukund pick more :-).  (2) If we are picking Pujara based on his ability to play spin, why not send him #5 and Rahane #3? 

Mukund has been playing really well off late.  What impressed me about him are  (a) Clear idea about where his off stump is  and leaving balls well when the ball is swinging  (b)  Playing with a straight bat  (c) He looks like a mature player now with a clear idea about his own game  (d) In the last Duleep Trophy match, he played very responsibly with his team under pressure on a tough pitch  (e) He played at a very high SR, with strokes all round the wicket, without slogging or taking risks.

Pujara batting at 5, so that he bats when the ball is spinning more, is a great point you have raised.  Can be done on a  rank turner.

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

cant wait for it, must be a good well contested series this time. Ind have dimished a bit and NZ have raised a bit since the last series (was it a whitewash ?)

have they? Look totally outclassed against a rebuilding SA outfit. I do believe they have lot B Mac since last touring India. Rain saved them in test 1, test 2 barring some miracle on course to lose.

Edited by G_B_
5 hours ago, G_B_ said:

have they? Look totally outclassed against a rebuilding SA outfit. I do believe they have lot B Mac since last touring India. Rain saved them in test 1, test 2 barring some miracle on course to lose.

i saw the scorecard but i think SA are not very week,as probably their points suggest.

SA series pitches weren't doctored as some are saying..Banglore was not turning track so as Delhi which slowed down as the game progressed.In both the innings of Delhi test,Indian bowlers bowled well to bowl SA out..It was mixture of India's great bowling,SA batsman's psyche against spin and 2 turning tracks.

Experts tend start complaining about turning tracks when Host team's batsmen cant pile up the runs which was the case in SA series.