Hardik Pandya is a better bowler in Limited Overs than Ben Stokes

sandeep

1 hour ago, fineleg said:

^ No plural. There are no bhakts for Rohit sharma, only one bhakt :)

Chu.. ki fauj  is always plural.    

Anyway, this thread was created back few months back, after Pandya was excluded from the Zim tour, and I wanted to point out the importance of grooming a prospect, especially a type of player that India doesn't really have too many options of.  

I don't give a rat's @ss that in the last 2 years, Ben Stokes has taken 6 wickets in 11 away ODIs with an economy of 6+ RPO.  The point was that Pandya deserved a fair run in our ODI scheme, which he is getting now and wasn't back then.  There were a bunch of posters who be-littled his bowling claiming he's a batsman who can bowl a bit and is not good enough.  Hence the thread.   

On his batting, Dhoni has treated him as a bowler first thus far, and he hasn't really had opportunities. The only time he came to the wicket with a few overs left was that disaster of a WC T20 game against the kiwis.  And he didn't do much, but it wasn't like he threw it away.  Was playing sensibly but got a marginal leg-before call against him.  Wasn't as if it was poor shot selection or was out of his depth.  So I'm still hopeful that he can be good enough with the bat to justify that #6 slot with his bowling as a bonus.  

A Bits and pieces player does not score 258 at 130 S/R in South Africa against Morkel,Rabada,Morris etc.

A Bits and pieces player does not score a 100 in Perth against Johnson,Harris and Siddle

A Bits and pieces player does not score a 100 in Newzealand against Boult,Southee and Henry

A Bits and pieces player does not get a 6 wicket haul that includes wickets of Rogers,Clarke,Smith,Haddin,

A Bits and pieces player does not get a 6 wicket haul that includes wickets of Rogers,Warner,Marsh

If u play the amount of test cricket Eng does you are going to get odd performances.His double hundred was good but sa had themselves to blame.Sa are not the test side nor the pitches of the past.Overall he has been medicore in his test career.

I do not think he will be able to play as a genuine bowler or genuine batsman currently.
10 hours ago, maniac said:

Stokes just won a man of the series award...T20 bowling stats really? what next dot balls per over or some other random stats like that?

Dude, did you even check the thread title? It talks of bowling in LOIs. Considering that ODIs and T20Is make up LOIs, T20I bowling stats actually make 50% of this space. Even in terms of ODI bowling records, Stokes is pretty ordinary. I think you are confusing his Test credentials with LOI ones.

any video of his bowling spells, not just 3-4 balls but full spell. Didnt watch the match, so, want to see how did he bowl. 2 of 3 wickets were soft dismissals, so, cannot read too much into it. He bowled several half volleys though evident in the boundaries he conceded to Latham.

Edited by rkt.india
38 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

any video of his bowling spells, not just 3-4 balls but full spell. Didnt watch the match, so, want to see how did he bowl. 2 of 3 wickets were soft dismissals, so, cannot read too much into it. He bowled several half volleys though evident in the boundaries he conceded to Latham.

I don't know of any existing videos.

He bowled lots of around-good length,   around off-stump deliveries which moved away a bit.  Most were missed and a couple edged  for runs.

Funnily, he got wickets with 2  average deliveries and  did not with some great ones.

Edited by express bowling
46 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Not sure if there are any videos. The first wicket was a gem of a ball, the other two were half volleys and lucky to get wickets. In between though, after the first two overs, he bowled a very good line and length and at good pace and extracted bounce too. What was most impressive about him was his pace. Consistently in the high 130s/ low 140s.

1 hour ago, fineleg said:

Looong way to go for Hardik Pandya. Decent initial start.

Please list a few cricketers who didn't have a "Looong way to go" after their 1st ODI !!

Decent Initial start? 7-0-31-3. Plenty of good balls. Good consistent pace, bounce and movement on and off the pitch. Please tell us what Pandya needed to do to have a "good/great" initial start?

14 hours ago, Texan said:

Dude, did you even check the thread title? It talks of bowling in LOIs. Considering that ODIs and T20Is make up LOIs, T20I bowling stats actually make 50% of this space. Even in terms of ODI bowling records, Stokes is pretty ordinary. I think you are confusing his Test credentials with LOI ones.

Yes I did and that is why I am surprised that the comparison is being made against a batting allrounder who is winning man of the series for batting performances being brought into a comparison.

Also wondered how a guy who already has a 5 wicket haul and 4 wicket haul in ODI's is suddenly worse than a rookie bowler who just happened to take 3 wickets (commendable yes) in his first game...also especially when the other bowler has been focusing more on batting due to some injuries and has not been bowling to full capacity.

So many missing links here to the topic.

Pandya could be something special.  Stokes potential ATG some say.  Well this guy could be as well

We need some vision.  This guy can bowl fast and can bat properly as well as clear ball in to stands.

He has attitude as well.

There will be ups and downs and plenty of screw ups in the journey.  But we need to play and back him.  In 1 or 2 years we will reap the dividends.

Thankfully Pandya and Kumble see this and seem to all out be ther to develop him.

Should be in all squads in all formats.  Only way to reach the potential.  Not to send him away and leave him to toil on FC circuit for a few years to gain numbers to pelase the stats gurus on this furm with their glasses and prince charles haircuts!!

Use the cricket eye.  This guy could be box office, will take some time but I believe can get there.

A guy who touches 90 mph and proper bat. Wow!

What I like about Pandya is he is improving fast....From the Srilanka T20 series to now,his rise has been fast. People said batting was always his strong suit but has been more impressive with the ball in recent times. Infact even in his T20 days his bowling looked something that can be improved upon.

Need to get more chances with the bat.

England send Stokes in at 5 at times,won't be a bad idea to send Pandya up the order and see what he does.

^ His rise hasn't been fast - only obvious to those with "cricketing acumen" :winky:

His bowling will get him past the selection hurdle, but his batting will decide how long he stays in the team.  Let's see how he does in this series, hopefully gets to bat as early as the 35th over or so, a couple of times.  That should show us what he can do, and what kind of batting toolkit he possesses apart from slugging a few boundaries here and there.  His batting had flamed out a bit last IPL.  I'm sure that's in the back of his mind as well.