Ranji Trophy 2016/17

Bleed-Blue

40 minutes ago, diga said:

Rishabh Pant needs one full season in domestics... today was a good chance to fight it out ... ICFers should evaluate his progress after this season

People are not talking about him being selected for test matches but LOIs where we need an aggressive opener.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

People are not talking about him being selected for test matches but LOIs where we need an aggressive opener.

We  have Rohit, Dhawan and Rahul in ODIs.

Rohit  and Rahul  in T20Is.

Pant, when he is introduced, will perhaps come in the middle order.  I hope it is not before this season of  FC ends....only 5 more months for that to happen.  He needs to be in our A team for the next series.

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We  have Rohit, Dhawan and Rahul in ODIs.

Rohit  and Rahul  in T20Is.

Pant, when he is introduced, will perhaps come in the middle order.  I hope it is not before this season of  FC ends....only 5 more months for that to happen.  He needs to be in our A team for the next series.

Rahul would be batting at 4 in ODIs. Same in T20s. Dhawan is not suitable for T20s. In ODIs too, he has been blowing hot and cold and not giving that quick start he used to give earlier. His purple patch has certainly ended.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Rahul would be batting at 4 in ODIs. Same in T20s. Dhawan is not suitable for T20s. In ODIs too, he has been blowing hot and cold and not giving that quick start he used to give earlier. His purple patch has certainly ended.

Rahul  is batting at No. 4 because the team management wants to play Dhawan and Rahane.  If both are absent, Rahul will almost surely open.

Also. we don't know how Pant is against the really quick ball and the swinging ball.  So. it is safer for him to start in the middle-order to check how he fares.

Edited by express bowling
10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Rahul  is batting at No. 4 because the team management wants to play Dhawan and Rahane.  If both are absent, Rahul will almost surely open.

Also. we don't know how Pant is against the really quick ball and the swinging ball.  So. it is safer for him to start in the middle-order to check how he fares.

He did show in IPL that he can play quicks. Regarding swing, i dont think there is any batsman in the world who does not struggle when ball swings in ODIs.

Also, Rahul batting at 4 is good for us. We have not found replace of Yuvraj at 4 and I believe Rahul should stay at 4.  It gives us better depth and someone who can consolidate too if top order wickets fall and accelerate when needed.

Edited by rkt.india
4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He did show he can play quicks. Regarding swing, i dont think there is any batsman in the world who does not struggle when ball swings in ODIs.

Where  ?  In the IPL   ?  Who are the pacers he played well there  ?  I remember the  Fizz, but he is fast-medium.

Some play swing better than others.  We already have Rohit and  Dhawan who are  very susceptible against the swinging ball.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Where  ?  In the IPL   ?

Some play swing better than others.  We already have Rohit and  Dhawan who are  very susceptible against the swinging ball.

Also, Rahul batting at 4 is good for us. We have not found replacement of Yuvraj at 4 and I believe Rahul should stay at 4.  It gives us better depth and someone who can consolidate too if top order wickets fall and accelerate when needed.

Edited by rkt.india
8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I remember the  Fizz, but he is fast-medium.

But fizz is one of the toughest bowlers to attack. He is deceptive. He bowls quicker than you would think and then suddenly slower the pace down. Pant Just manhandled him in that game.

47 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Also, Rahul batting at 4 is good for us. We have not found replacement of Yuvraj at 4 and I believe Rahul should stay at 4.  It gives us better depth and someone who can consolidate too if top order wickets fall and accelerate when needed.

Personally, I prefer Rahul in the middle order too.  He is a good batsman who can hit the big shots too and would make our batting line-up stronger  batting at 4.  May take up the slogger's role if he manages to stay till the 40th over.

But, looking at how team managements work, not sure that would happen if Dhawan and  Rahane are not playing.

37 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

But fizz is one of the toughest bowlers to attack. He is deceptive. He bowls quicker than you would think and then suddenly slower the pace down. Pant Just manhandled him in that game.

That showcases  Pant's special ability as a batsman.  Playing genuine quicks is a matter of practice also.  Does he have access to bowling machines  ?

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Personally, I prefer Rahul in the middle order too.  He is a good batsman who can hit the big shots too and would make our batting line-up stronger  bating at 4.  May take up the sloggers role if he manages to stay till the 40th over.

But, looking at how team managements work, mot sure that would happen if Dhawan and  Rahane are not playing.

But if Pant is selected by next season, he will be opening and not Rahul. Pant will open for Delhi too in limited overs. Probably Dhoni might retire after CT next year. Dont see him playing till 2019 WC.

11 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Another issue is....a really young batsman,  with very little FC experience, is better off starting his career in the middle order in LOIs.  The ball  hurries the batsman a little less, there is less movement  generally and he has a chance to see how the pitch is behaving.  That way, he can acclimatize to  international pace easier.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Another issue is....a really young batsman,  with very little FC experience, is better off starting his career in the middle order in LOIs.  The ball  hurries the batsman a little less, there is less movement  generally and he has a chance to see how the pitch is behaving.  That way, he can acclimatize to  international pace easier.

yeah but that is where IPL experience next year will come in handy. He should open for DD next IPL for exposure against top quality pacers.

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Probably Dhoni might retire after CT next year. Dont see him playing till 2019 WC.

Hope that is the case.   Dhoni was highly dependent on hand-eye co-ordination for his success as a batsman and there is a chance that his reflexes have slowed down.  What will happen by 2019,  nobody can say.