Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm Merlyn

ICC trying to cut the hand that is feeding them: BCCI

Recommended Posts

actually India have the legal right to pull out of any tournament they see fit. While I was against the big 3 move, its clear the BCCI needs to be getting a much bigger chunk of the ICC tournament cash revenues.

 

There are plenty of flaws with the BCCI. But that does not give anybody be it Manohar or anybody else the right to divert India's income to that extent. 70% of the revenue is generated by India. That figure is going to drastically rise as the Indian GDP increases. India is predicted to be a 3 trillion economy by 2020. So atleast BCCI should get back 40% of net revenues generated by the ICC. 

 

How is it fair that New zealand a country is 4-5 million gets nearly the same returns as India a country of 1.3 billion? Especially when the 1.3 billion is generating most of the money. While I understand that certain good will is needed to sustain the game globally. It cant be that BCCI gets Rs10 for every Rs100 it generates. Need a much fair distribution. It should be India needs to get about Rs 50 of Rs 100 it generates.

The remaining Rs50 can be spread about to keep the global game healthy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Manohar is playing to the galleries and Pakistani bdeshis etc are lapping it up.The guy is extremely cunning.

The guy is extremely cunning because his not listening to BCCI? I guess you guys would welcome back srini with open hands;)

 

Just goes to show, even some indian fans... don't really care as long as indian achieves what they want.. by anyhow*...hint hint.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Shamim.Miah said:

The guy is extremely cunning because his not listening to BCCI? I guess you guys would welcome back srini with open hands;)

 

Just goes to show, even some indian fans... don't really care as long as indian achieves what they want.. by anyhow*...hint hint.

What exactly did Srini do harm to your board?

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

It is not about my country or your country. I just want a clean ICC board that looks after cricket.

Not personal interest of certain countries, just because they come from there or have close relations, or feel forced.

We need ICC to be clean and free from this kind of threats. It will take time, not sure if that would be possible.

Unless we have a FIFA like mass investigation.

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Adi_91 said:

What exactly did Srini do harm to your board?

If you considered srini as independent, free of corruption. Than I give up.

Not interested to talk anymore. Srini looks like a real hero to you guys hahahahaha..

Have you seen what the world thinks of him, the cricket world? corrupt? his like a legend for you guys.

 

Jarrod Kimbers outburst recently was precise: (https://twitter.com/ajarrodkimber)

 

"It looks like instead (BCCI Pres- Thakur) is going to be another joker who gets in the way of our game, and looks after himself.

"You don't want to be Lord Hawke or Srini. Once you do your good work, you’ll be remembered forever, go be a real politican"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Shamim.Miah said:

If you considered srini as independent, free of corruption. Than I give up.

Not interested to talk anymore. Srini looks like a real hero to you guys hahahahaha..

Have you seen what the world thinks of him, the cricket world? corrupt? his like a legend for you guys.

 

Jarrod Kimbers outburst recently was precise: (https://twitter.com/ajarrodkimber)

 

"It looks like instead (BCCI Pres- Thakur) is going to be another joker who gets in the way of our game, and looks after himself.

"You don't want to be Lord Hawke or Srini. Once you do your good work, you’ll be remembered forever, go be a real politican"

 

Tbh, there is no record of corruption against him. Yss, conflict of interest when it came to IPL franchise, but nothing on a global scale.

 

He is a sound administrator. His TNPL is way way better in quality than your Bangladesh Premier League. That is the reason people respect him. 

 

I don't think the world thinks of him being corrupt. We don't give a damn about Jarrod thinks. India is a cricket powerhouse and we believe we need the lion's share of the cricketing revenue, like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
 "Today I'm unconnected with any particular member of the ICC," he said. "I'm the independent ICC chairman, so I have to look at the best interests of the ICC. It's for the BCCI representative to look after the best interests of the BCCI."

 

When asked if the BCCI's views did not deserve special attention at the ICC level given it is the biggest contributor to world cricket financially, Manohar said: "I don't agree with this. Then, why the same logic shouldn't apply to the BCCI? There are 30 state associations [in India], why shouldn't somebody have a veto power? For example, Mumbai generates the highest revenue but does that mean that they should have a veto power on the BCCI decisions? Institutions function in a democratic manner and decisions are taken by the majority."

 

This guy is speaking sense. Indian fans are just upset that they don't have an Indian on ICC board level that is biasedly supporting them irrespective of fairness. From some of the post above, I get the vibe that you guy's aren't happy with the independence thing, rather it should be an Indian running the show, without being independent and mostly looking after the interest of india.. goodness.. me..

Mumbai doesn't generate any revenue for the BCCI. BCCI allows local cricket associations to keep money from ticket sales.

BCCI gets most of its revenue from TV rights. TV channels don't pay more money if the match is held in Mumbai. This claim by Manohar about Mumbai generating the most revenue is a dumb defensive lie.

It is not undemocratic to ask for a fairer share of revenue. If you think about it, it is actually a radically communist idea to split the shares and not acknowledge the major contributions from one of the parties. That's not how capitalism works. This guy Shashank is clutching at straws here.

Share this post


Link to post

If you considered srini as independent, free of corruption. Than I give up.

Not interested to talk anymore. Srini looks like a real hero to you guys hahahahaha..

Have you seen what the world thinks of him, the cricket world? corrupt? his like a legend for you guys.

 

Jarrod Kimbers outburst recently was precise: (https://twitter.com/ajarrodkimber)

 

"It looks like instead (BCCI Pres- Thakur) is going to be another joker who gets in the way of our game, and looks after himself.

"You don't want to be Lord Hawke or Srini. Once you do your good work, you’ll be remembered forever, go be a real politican"

 

Can u quote me where Jarrod Kimber has mentioned the corruption and conflict of Interest England and ICC are indulging in with the CT ?

Or is it not corruption when ECB does it ?

Yeah another Aussie/English journo who is pissed off BCCI is looking after the interest of its country instead of bowing to ECB and CA

Share this post


Link to post

Ultimately no point blaming ICC or Manohar

It's the fault of Thakur and BCCI who decided to send him despite knowing what Manohar is like.

I mean he was actively trying to damage the interests of BCCI when he was BCCi president .And they send him as ICC president allowed him to make it as independent

He should have been barred from any cricket related activities once that Nagpur test was over .

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, moniker said:

Mumbai doesn't generate any revenue for the BCCI. BCCI allows local cricket associations to keep money from ticket sales.

BCCI gets most of its revenue from TV rights. TV channels don't pay more money if the match is held in Mumbai. This claim by Manohar about Mumbai generating the most revenue is a dumb defensive lie.

It is not undemocratic to ask for a fairer share of revenue. If you think about it, it is actually a radically communist idea to split the shares and not acknowledge the major contributions from one of the parties. That's not how capitalism works. This guy Shashank is clutching at straws here.

This is one of the biggest points. BCCI gives a lot of freedom, and therefore responsibility to the different member boards. The member boards are allowed to run their cricket pretty freely, and the BCCI would only intervene if there is some major issue.

 

The ICC, if it wants to be independent, then it should revoke it's financial role in governing cricket. Allow them the role of managing where tournaments are held, rules of cricket, etc. If they insist on taking money from member boards, then the BCCI rightly should have greater say/inclusion in decision making. If we generate 70+% of the revenue and share it with poorer boards, some in hostile countries, we are doing them a favor. If we spent all 70% on our own cricket/state associations we would accelerate our improvement in many areas of cricket where we are traditionally weak, ie fast bowling.

 

The ICC and Manohar are making a lot of noise right now, but they can't even discipline or mediate the conflict between WICB and the WI players right now or allowing blatant racism in SA's selection policies. They should work on that instead of needling us.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

This is one of the biggest points. BCCI gives a lot of freedom, and therefore responsibility to the different member boards. The member boards are allowed to run their cricket pretty freely, and the BCCI would only intervene if there is some major issue.

 

The ICC, if it wants to be independent, then it should revoke it's financial role in governing cricket. Allow them the role of managing where tournaments are held, rules of cricket, etc. If they insist on taking money from member boards, then the BCCI rightly should have greater say/inclusion in decision making. If we generate 70+% of the revenue and share it with poorer boards, some in hostile countries, we are doing them a favor. If we spent all 70% on our own cricket/state associations we would accelerate our improvement in many areas of cricket where we are traditionally weak, ie fast bowling.

 

The ICC and Manohar are making a lot of noise right now, but they can't even discipline or mediate the conflict between WICB and the WI players right now or allowing blatant racism in SA's selection policies. They should work on that instead of needling us.

Yet again the conflict between WI and its players takes us back to IPL, than back to BCCI.

If you investigate everything, somehow you would end up with BCCI on most things... :)

Let Mr. Manohar work in peace, and allow him some time to make ICC free of self interest etc.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm loving all the squirming here.

 

Looking back at al the hatred spewed at Srini. He put Indian cricket as no. 1 priority but was hated becos he was from the south.

 

Now you got a clean ICC chairman. Enjoy. Serves all the Srini bashers right.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Shamim.Miah said:

It is not about my country or your country. I just want a clean ICC board that looks after cricket.

Not personal interest of certain countries, just because they come from there or have close relations, or feel forced.

We need ICC to be clean and free from this kind of threats. It will take time, not sure if that would be possible.

 

 

How has  the  ICC  hurt the interests of your country  ?

 

Bangladesh has become a part of mainstream cricket and has got test status in the last few years.  It has improved as a team.  Would it have  been possible if the ICC was  not trying to expand cricket  ?

 

As far as I remember...a BCCI representative  to the ICC,  the  Late Jagmohan Dalmia, took a lot of initiative to  give test status to Bangladesh when not all member countries were in favour.....if  BCCI  is against your country, would this have happened  ?

 

Any country which generates  significantly more revenue is going to have more clout.   That is the way the real  world works.   To think that the BCCI would have as much say as the  BCB  is living in an utopian world....won't happen.

 

 But,  after the BCCI  has acquired more power, more and more countries  are playing cricket.   It has also increased its mass appeal by introducing T20s.  Now, it has landed  on the shores of  USA.  All this is good and cricket is no longer the game for the elites only, like  it  was  when England  was  in charge.  Why is this contribution totally overlooked by some of you. ?

 

 

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Yet again the conflict between WI and its players takes us back to IPL, than back to BCCI.

If you investigate everything, somehow you would end up with BCCI on most things... :)

Let Mr. Manohar work in peace, and allow him some time to make ICC free of self interest etc.

Hardly the BCCI's fault. We hold the IPL on our time relative to our international calendar, it's the Indian Premier League. If the WICB and players can't come to a reasonable agreement, that is their problem. They can openly ban their players from participating in the IPL if they want Windies central contracts. We will see plenty of Windies players becoming mercenaries in different leagues across the world, players afterall have the right to maximize their earnings.

 

Sure, if you investigate everything that turns out good, then it leads to the BCCI. Anything bad is from leech boards from smaller countries that think we will subsidize their teams without any say in the matter.

 

I agree let Manohar work, let him work without our 70% of the revenue. He can do whatever he wants then: nude cricket, batsmen batting with baseball bats, replacing bowlers with bowling machines, whatever. We will just play our cricket on a bilateral basis with the boards we like. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

 

How has  the  ICC  hurt the interests of your country  ?

 

Bangladesh has become a part of mainstream cricket and has got test status in the last few years.  It has improved as a team.  Would it have  been possible if the ICC was  not trying to expand cricket  ?

 

As far as I remember...a BCCI representative  to the ICC,  the  Late Jagmohan Dalmia, took a lot of initiative to  give test status to Bangladesh when not all member countries were in favour.....if  BCCI  is against your country, would this have happened  ?

 

Any country which generates  significantly more revenue is going to have more clout.   That is the way the real  world works.   To think that the BCCI would have as much say as the  BCB  is living in an utopian world....won't happen.

 

 But,  after the BCCI  has acquired more power, more and more countries  are playing cricket.   It has also increased its mass appeal by introducing T20s.  Now, it has landed  on the shores of  USA.  All this is good and cricket is no longer the game for the elites only, like it was with England  was  in charge.  Why is this contribution totally overlooked by some of you. ?

 

 

You do realise each year or two they are coming up with new rules?

The number of teams taking part in world cup is reducing, only top 8 teams playing champions trophy (WI and Zimbabwe missing out)

Trying to have two tier test division etc. Associates finding hard to play against test nation (We recently invited Afghanistan)

 

Shouldn't global events such as world cup/ champions trophy have more teams? even if that means qualifying?

Why can't associates qualify for champions trophy? there are many gaps still there.

 

ICC I hope will change some of its approach soon. But the first and most important for time being is the independence of its board members (most have self interest issue)

 

 

Edited by Shamim.Miah

Share this post


Link to post

Peter Miller- Cricket writer Tweeted

 

Love the fact that Manohar acting independently as the independent ICC chairman is such a shock to Thakur.

 

Found it quite funny, I don't think they understand what Independent means LOL. Probably Thakur is thinking, oh his Indian, he should talk on behalf of us, and we should get all the best deals..like srini use to work for us;)

Edited by Shamim.Miah

Share this post


Link to post

Honestly speaking that was a cringe moment when he said that he expects ICC's chairman to serve BCCI's interest. Don't we have any better guys to handle BCCI's affairs than this clown Thakur? Whenever he opens his mouth, I tend to remember our low-grade politicians. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Peter Miller- Cricket writer Tweeted

 

Love the fact that Manohar acting independently as the independent ICC chairman is such a shock to Thakur.

 

Found it quite funny, I don't think they understand what Independent means LOL. Probably Thakur is thinking, oh his Indian, he should talk on behalf of us, and we should get all the best deals..like srini use to work for us;)

We didn't score 'deals'. Mind your language there.

 

Share this post


Link to post

 

 

 

Quote

 

Wallets getting lighter:

The biggest reason apart from the legal battle with the Supreme Court was Manohar's financial decisions that fetched him many enemies within his own country. On the sidelines of the ICC meeting in Dubai in February 2016, Manohar's decision to vote for abolishing  the “Big Three” revenue system shocked everyone at the BCCI. The model, which allowed the BCCI, Cricket Australia, and the ECB to have the lion share of the ICC's annual revenues, was taken down as a part of ICC's constitutional change. Manohar had also reportedly agreed to give away 6% of India’s 22% share of ICC revenues during this meeting. This decision was taken by Manohar without any consultation of the board members.

 

https://sportscafe.in/articles/cricket/2016/sep/11/clash-of-titans-why-is-bcci-at-war-with-icc

 

So in a jist, India generates 70% of revenues at ICC events. We would have got 22% of that with the Big 3 formula.

Instead of that we get 22-6 or 16%. Somebody like WI and Zimbabwe who are not even participating in the Champions Trophy are getting a 8% cut. I would say even 22% was a bit too less. Should have pushed for 35%. 

Coming back to Srini, the biggest issue I had with his was his personal interest in the selection of India's playing 11.  If the selectors feel MSD needs to be sacked then MSD needs to be sacked. When it comes to finances off the field he was very good for Indian cricket. 

As I said before, Pawar probably took money on the side for sure. But he protected India's interests in terms of finance and also was not involved in the playing 11. In an ideal world, the best cricket admin would be a non corrupt version of Sharad Pawar.

I see Thakur getting a lot of heat from mostly western commentators. But I dont think he has been involved in scams , neither does he have a direct interest in the cricket team and he does have India's financial interest at heart. So I really dont see a need to look beyond Thakur. The only downside to Thakur I can see if that he does seem to favor Himachal Pradesh as a venue. But then again, Nagpur did host a lot of matches as well. So its not as if Manohar did not bend the rules there.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Shamim.Miah said:

You do realise each year or two they are coming up with new rules?

The number of teams taking part in world cup is reducing, only top 8 teams playing champions trophy (WI and Zimbabwe missing out)

Trying to have two tier test division etc. Associates finding hard to play against test nation (We recently invited Afghanistan)

 

Shouldn't global events such as world cup/ champions trophy have more teams? even if that means qualifying?

Why can't associates qualify for champions trophy? there are many gaps still there.

 

ICC I hope will change some of its approach soon. But the first and most important for time being is the independence of its board members (most have self interest issue)

 

 

 

Champions Trophy  had  8  teams  in  2013  too.      The  World Cup having 14 teams was disliked by a lot of viewers as the last 4 teams were of very poor quality.   Whether there should be 14 teams in WCs, even if  some of the teams, are very poor,  is definitely a debatable issue.  Every argument has 2 sides and  decisions have to be taken after considering all points.

 

The 2 tier test structure has been scrapped. 

 

We must realize that progress is made by crests and troughs and one sided movement does not happen  if there are many different stakeholders.

 

ICC has to take decisions on various issues and decisions based on various factors.  Sustaining  interest in  the game of cricket as a whole is the most important one.  The improvement of weaker nations is not the sole  objective.  There have been some good decisions and some bad ones.......  you will never be happy with its operations if you think from the point of the Bangladesh cricket team only.

 

But the net result has to be seen also,  in  the last few years,   instead of looking at the negatives only.  As I said before...cricket has become more popular, both in terms of wider geographical area as well as in terms of different demographics, after the BCCI  has been having more influence in the ICC.

Edited by express bowling

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Shamim.Miah

 

 

 

https://sportscafe.in/articles/cricket/2016/sep/11/clash-of-titans-why-is-bcci-at-war-with-icc

 

So in a jist, India generates 70% of revenues at ICC events. We would have got 22% of that with the Big 3 formula.

Instead of that we get 22-6 or 16%. Somebody like WI and Zimbabwe who are not even participating in the Champions Trophy are getting a 8% cut. I would say even 22% was a bit too less. Should have pushed for 35%. 

Coming back to Srini, the biggest issue I had with his was his personal interest in the selection of India's playing 11.  If the selectors feel MSD needs to be sacked then MSD needs to be sacked. When it comes to finances off the field he was very good for Indian cricket. 

As I said before, Pawar probably took money on the side for sure. But he protected India's interests in terms of finance and also was not involved in the playing 11. In an ideal world, the best cricket admin would be a non corrupt version of Sharad Pawar.

I see Thakur getting a lot of heat from mostly western commentators. But I dont think he has been involved in scams , neither does he have a direct interest in the cricket team and he does have India's financial interest at heart. So I really dont see a need to look beyond Thakur. The only downside to Thakur I can see if that he does seem to favor Himachal Pradesh as a venue. But then again, Nagpur did host a lot of matches as well. So its not as if Manohar did not bend the rules there.

in icc the complain is the money is not being shared equally ,in fifa the complain is the money is being shared equally among nondescript footballing countries which is hurting the interests of the major footballing nations .

Share this post


Link to post
You do realise each year or two they are coming up with new rules?

The number of teams taking part in world cup is reducing, only top 8 teams playing champions trophy (WI and Zimbabwe missing out)

Trying to have two tier test division etc. Associates finding hard to play against test nation (We recently invited Afghanistan)

 

Shouldn't global events such as world cup/ champions trophy have more teams? even if that means qualifying?

Why can't associates qualify for champions trophy? there are many gaps still there.

 

ICC I hope will change some of its approach soon. But the first and most important for time being is the independence of its board members (most have self interest issue)

 

 

Huh ?

Only top 8 teams has been playing in CT since 2002 .What the hell are u on about ?

BCCI is the board that actually stopped two tier system that Manohar actively tried to implement .Basically teams like Bangladesh saved by BCCI from going into oblivion.

Associates can't qualify for CT because then there would be no difference between CT and World cup.

As for world cup having more teams do u even know which country actually are trying to reduce the no of teams playing the world cup to 10? England .

Share this post


Link to post

Apparently there were some amendments to ICC Chairman position which were cleverly made by Manohar when he was BCCI president which makes it impossible to replace or impeach him. This snake has planned it too well and will hurt India in the long term. Should just extend IPL to 3-4 months and see the ICC and other countries reaction to it.

Share this post


Link to post

I do not think it's about money .England will get around 50 Million dollars for hosting Ct .Bcci wants Icc to save itself from Lodha committee.Manohar is stalling so all this drama.Regardless I would hardly support Bcci ,There is urgent need for change in Bcci it has been running as a charity with no accountability for long even selectors are not accountable and Hardly justify selections.


Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, CG said:

I do not think it's about money .England will get around 50 Million pounds for hosting Ct .Bcci wants Icc to save itself from Lodha committee.Manohar is stalling so all this drama.Regardless I would hardly support Bcci ,There is urgent need for change in Bcci it has been running as a charity with no accountability for long even selectors are not accountable and Hardly justify selections.

Just one example of how corupt BCCI might have been in past:present. Imagine if Srini was ICC chairman, that letter request by Thakur would have been written and disclosed easily. Just goes to show what power BCCI had over ICC. Requesting them to write letter like they work for BCCI hahaa. Only God knows what else has happened in the past. Wish ICC was investigated like FIFA so corupt practices by BCCI or any board could been exploited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just one example of how corupt BCCI might have been in past:present. Imagine if Srini was ICC chairman, that letter request by Thakur would have been written and disclosed easily. Just goes to show what power BCCI had over ICC. Requesting them to write letter like they work for BCCI hahaa. Only God knows what else has happened in the past. Wish ICC was investigated like FIFA so corupt practices by BCCI or any board could been exploited. 

It has happened for centuries in all field of life so cricket is no exception.Rich boards will always have veto and extra rights.Icc is a weak body and Bcci is using its clout like England and aus board use to do earlier.Cricket in Asia is mess with corruption rampant .All this has nothing to do with Indian cricket inter est in Icc.

But protecting members interest from sc.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Just one example of how corupt BCCI might have been in past:present. Imagine if Srini was ICC chairman, that letter request by Thakur would have been written and disclosed easily. Just goes to show what power BCCI had over ICC. Requesting them to write letter like they work for BCCI hahaa. Only God knows what else has happened in the past. Wish ICC was investigated like FIFA so corupt practices by BCCI or any board could been exploited. 

what a rant. stop rumor mongering, give evidence or shut up. If not for BCCI your tigers wont be playing test.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Tibarn said:

What exactly has the BCCI done at the ICC that is corrupt? Any corruption controversy involving the BCCI has been related to it's handling of Indian cricket itself, ie internal matters of India. 

Our padosis are long known for poking their nose in India's internal functioning, easily forgetting the mess back in their home nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×