Anurag Thakur refusal to let India play Cricket with Pakistan draws sharp reaction from Pakistanis

Pakistan cricket community has ridiculed the statement given by BCCI President Anurag Thakur, saying even when ties between the two countries were better India had avoided playing Pakistan in a bilateral series.

Thakur, also a top ranked leader of the ruling BJP in India, on Friday said in a statement that there was no question of playing cricket with Pakistan.

“I just don’t understand what he wants to say. For the last eight years India has avoided playing us in a proper bilateral series even when relations were better,” former captain, Mohammad Yousuf said on Saturday.

The Pakistan Cricket Board avoided making any official comments but a top official conceded to PTI that Thakur’s statement had caught them by surprise.

“It is an out and out political statement from the President of the BCCI. We are disappointed as we have been trying hard for a long time now to normalize cricket ties with India and we have always believed in keeping sports and politics apart,” the official said.

Yousuf, however, was adamant that the International Cricket Council should take notice of Thakur’s tirade.

“The ICC keeps on saying it will not tolerate politics or government interference in member boards and the BCCI President is making political statements. Either he speak as a BJP leader or BCCI head,” Yousuf said.

He lamented that whenever he played in India the people there enjoyed the matches but unfortunately now there was no Indo-Pak series.

Former captain, Rashid Latif said that Thakur’s statement carried no weight as already India had made it clear it didn’t want to play against Pakistan.

“The last time we went to India in 2012 as a goodwill gesture for a short series of one-day and T20 matches but since 2007 the Indian board has avoided playing us at a bilateral level in a full series,” he noted.

Latif said atleast the PCB knew now where it stood as far as relations with BCCI were concerned.

Former Test leg-spinner, Abdul Qadir said Pakistan had always tried to keep politics out of cricket with India but apparently the BCCI now was a body dominated by politicians.

“They have not played us for so many years so what value is this statement off. I believe that the PCB should seriously think about playing India in the group matches of any ICC event,” he said.

Qadir noted that the ICC earned millions of dollars by always scheduling India and Pakistan match in the group stage of an ICC event and the same had been done for next year’s Champions Trophy.

“It is time we stopped running after India and said thank you to them,” he added.

The PCB recently said that the BCCI had backed out of a women’s bilateral series in the UAE saying it had not got clearance from its government to play the series.

Former Test batsman, Mohsin Khan said cricket and politics should not be mixed.

“I just feel that Anurag Thakur should not give political statements in his capacity as BCCI President,” he said.

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/former-pakistan-cricketers-ridicule-anurag-thakurs-statement-3047810/

Why are Pakistanis whining?

Let them cry.  No 'away' series with Pakistan until Pak-based terrorism in India drops to zero.  Indian tour is tantamount to a $100 million gift for Pakistan cricket.  No need to be generous when these shameless people harbor terrorists instead of catching and prosecuting them.  

As a fan, I would love to watch India Pakistan test series, it would be awesome.  But facts are facts.  Can't live in a utopian fantasy world.  

I hope ind someday show some guts and do not play cricket with Pak anywhere in any format of any tournament... We are same Pakistanis in WC, champions trophy, Asia cup ;)

Sep 2012, No one to one cricket with Pak anywhere Ever!

Dec-Jan 2013: ODIs and T20... vs Pak... INSIDE INDIA

May 2013: No cricket with Pak anywhere

:facepalm:

I hope ind someday show some guts and do not play cricket with Pak anywhere in any format of any tournament... We are same Pakistanis in WC, champions trophy, Asia cup ;)

Sep 2012, No one to one cricket with Pak anywhere Ever!

Dec-Jan 2013: ODIs and T20... vs Pak... INSIDE INDIA

May 2013: No cricket with Pak anywhere

:facepalm:

Lol.Why should we gift you points in the ICC tournaments?This stand is to punish Pakistan cricket not to reward it.

Problem with Thakur is he is kind of a buffoon so hard to take anything he says seriously.

This is what he said few months back

Thakur told The Indian Express on Friday.

"We play Pakistan in the World Cup. We played them in the 2015 World Cup, we'll play them next year in the Asia Cup. Then we'll again play them in the month of March in World T20. So when you play them in a multinational tournament in world events, then what stops you from playing them in a bilateral series. So that's the question we have to answer," he added.

He couldn't even differentiate the difference btw playing Pakistan in a world cup and Bilateral.

Source

What did I say in the chit chat section? The only action India will take after the Uri attacks is to stop playing cricket with Pakistan :cantstop:

Make no mistake I also think India should not play cricket with them but if anyone think its harming Pakistan and will stop terrorism in any way they are delusional. To a certain extent I agree with Asim, ban all ICC matches too.

Why don't we think about our soldiers during a world cup game? In the recent T20 WC, Mamta Banerjee and CAB took brow-nosing to a new level by hosting a felicitation function for ex Pak cricketers and on the process reduced the game to 18 overs. :facepalm:

Don't we remember our soldiers that time? As far as losing point is concerned, BCCI has enough say in ICC. Just make it clear that Ind and Pak must be on separate groups. If we meet in knockouts and have to play that is different story. But what is this tamasha of deliberately putting Ind & Pak on same group in every damn ICC event?

ISIS attacks Paris, within 72 hours french drones were hitting Syria.

9/11 happens and USA wiped out entire Afg and Iraq.

Its been 8 years since Pakistanis have killed 168 innocent civilians in Mumbai (26/11) and only thing we have done is 'Stop playing cricket' :hysterical:

3 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

What did I say in the chit chat section? The only action India will take after the Uri attacks is to stop playing cricket with Pakistan :cantstop:

Make no mistake I also think India should not play cricket with them but if anyone think its harming Pakistan and will stop terrorism in any way they are delusional. To a certain extent I agree with Asim, ban all ICC matches too.

Why don't we think about our soldiers during a world cup game? In the recent T20 WC, Mamta Banerjee and CAB took brow-nosing to a new level by hosting a felicitation function for ex Pak cricketers and on the process reduced the game to 18 overs. :facepalm:

Don't we remember our soldiers that time? As far as losing point is concerned, BCCI has enough say in ICC. Just make it clear that Ind and Pak must be on separate groups. If we meet in knockouts and have to play that is different story. But what is this tamasha of deliberately putting Ind & Pak on same group in every damn ICC event?

Its been 8 years since Pakistanis have killed 168 innocent civilians in Mumbai (26/11) and only thing we have done is 'Stop playing cricket' :hysterical:

US has been fighting terror since 2001 and they literally destroyed two countries Afghanistan and Iraq in the process and the latter never attacked US territory. Yet, after spending billions of dollars and losing thousands of army people in the war, terrorism remains as much a threat as it did in the beginning. By executing Saddam, they allowed ISIS to grow and become a much bigger threat. 

In any case, if any other country did anything remotely similar, it would have completely collapsed on itself with extreme unemployment and poverty and spiraling debt. A developing country like India cant afford such misadventures. We should also consider our neighborhood where enemies like China, Pak are our neighbors and nuclear powers unlike US, France which are situated thousands of miles away from their targets.

What's important is how to get what we want by going through the diplomatic route, rather than strike back at random targets and invite more sympathy for our enemies.

lets stick to the cricket side of things in this thread. 

As things stand, India needs to have a consistent stance. You cant have people in Bollywood from Pak and then boycott their cricketers. Both are classified under entertainment.  Its not just cricket, many times other sports happen in terms of bilateral apart from the cricket. 

To be fair the government needs to lay down the line in a public manner. Unfair to expect the BCCI to ban players and then allow actors to perform in Bollywood. 

2 hours ago, G_B_ said:

lets stick to the cricket side of things in this thread. 

As things stand, India needs to have a consistent stance. You cant have people in Bollywood from Pak and then boycott their cricketers. Both are classified under entertainment.  Its not just cricket, many times other sports happen in terms of bilateral apart from the cricket. 

To be fair the government needs to lay down the line in a public manner. Unfair to expect the BCCI to ban players and then allow actors to perform in Bollywood. 

Cricket happens to be a big ticket item. The PCB gains much more out of cricket with India than the BCCI. Basically, the BCCI can put either SA, Eng or Aus for a series and still make a ton of money. Problem with doling out free money to any Pak agency is that ultimately it will be used for India's destruction. I think the stand taken is right. We should refuse to fund our own doom by funding Pakistani. Playing Pak in global tournaments is okay as refusal to play will result in a forfeit, which could end up impacting our chances.

8 minutes ago, Iconoclast said:

What's next, ICF will ban threads on Pakistan matches :giggle:

To Mr. Thakur, Pak cricket is doing quite alright without you, stick to cleaning up your corrupt BCCI :police:

We (BCCI) are doing very well too. I don't mind the corruption as long as BCCI has a big say in the ICC.

10 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

There is nothing to laugh, india can not respond to low intensity war with a full intensity one we do not have escalation dominance, only thing india can do is make pak poor and isolated,  make their low intensity war costly and prevent recurrence by having effective defence.  Isis has no nukes.  Pak is 600k standing army. Israel wont do shit against a pak that has chinese backing. Any state other than USA can not coerce pak. And pls dont be naive the idea is to hurt pak as best as possible as its every indians duty, play them in icc tourney so u beat them and not let them win, dont play them elsewhere so that they dont make money of us. Total animosity and at the right time destroy exremist elements completely.