2nd Test report Card

maniac

S.Dhawan-2/10-Failed in both innings but at least stuck around for a while in the 2nd innings which gives him 2 points.

M.Vijay-2/10-Failed in both innings but also took 2 catches in the test,so gets 2 points but overall a disappointing game.

C.Pujara 8/10-The glue that held the innings together in 1st innings...brilliant knock....failure in the 2nd innings but that can be accounted to law of averages...overall outstanding

V.Kohli 6/10-Led the team admirably again,continued his string of low scores in the 1st but played a very underrated and important knock in the 2nd...should have gotten a 50 but overall decent knock and hopefully this is his return to run making form.

A.Rahane-7/10-Clutch knock in the 1st innings.....failed in the 2nd innings...also add to it his incredible fielding...one of our MVP's in our recent test success.

R.Sharma 8/10-Soon developing a reputation of being our impact player in the 2nd innings...clutch knock in the 3rd innings yet again....hattrick of impactful 3rd innings scores....His 82 was probably what sealed the deal for this win and closed the door on Nzl hopes.Not to forget what he brings to the table with his livewire fielding and running between the wickets.

W.Saha-10/10-Perfect 10,what else can you ask from a wk-batsman when he is amazing behind the stumps and also plays 2 clutch knocks with the bat and remains not-out in both innings...cannot get more perfect than that...deserving man of the match.

R.Jadeja-7/10-If he needs to be considered a serious allrounder,needs to contribute more with the bat consistently......Cutting a point of for his irresponsible stroke play especially when you are considered a accomplished batsman at domestic level......WIth bowling he is almost unhittable though-4 wickets in this test with consistent line and length getting crucial breakthroughs.

R.Ashwin-7/10-One of the rare times,when he is not the star of the show in a home test.Decent knock in the 1st innings,took backseat with the ball in the 1st innings to the fast bowlers,did well in the important 2nd innings,getting crucial breakthroughs.

B.Kumar-8/10-Fantastic spell in the 1st innings but only problem is he is on a different level when there is something in the pitch or conditions,but does he have that extra pace to knock out tailenders is still to be seen....Usually with swing bowlers,when they are in rythm they run through the top order but run out of gas when it comes to the tail and their pace may make them a little ineffective by then....Bhuvi is not an out and out trundler by any means but need to see him still on flat pitches.

M.Shami-9/10-The guy is our best fast bowler right now,has everything...swing,seam,pace,reverse swing....our bowling MVP of the match for sure.

Edited by maniac

Will give an extra mark to kohli - I SAW a Great Leader in him today

1. His bowling changes were oustanding.

2. the way he ran n made rohit ran btw wkts always gave both the extra run n it never allows a bowler to bowl all 6 ball at same batsman. Sounds very small but makes huge diff

3. His knock was terrific , the way he got out was absolute unfortunate . But such a composed and steady knock calm the nerves of other players in dressing room that their arent many demons in the pitch. 

4. That quick pick up n throw effort which made everyone realise that captain is serious and really intense. IF ur captain is that intense and setting that standard . 

5. The way he was chirping, cheering and encouraging his bowlers. Im a huge Dhoni fan but my biggest critisicm with him was when shoulders were down he was quite . Sometimes u need to pick the morale of the side and thats what a leader does. 

6. Most importantly the way he was bringing crowd in the game. There is nothing that can pick a tired fast bowler than crowd behind him

These things are very small and deals with Psyche but that what international cricket is , its a lot in mind. 

1 hour ago, maniac said:

S.Dhawan-2/10-Failed in both innings but at least stuck around for a while in the 2nd innings which gives him 2 points.

M.Vijay-2/10-Failed in both innings but also took 2 catches in the test,so gets 2 points but overall a disappointing game.

C.Pujara 8/10-The glue that held the innings together in 1st innings...brilliant knock....failure in the 2nd innings but that can be accounted to law of averages...overall outstanding

V.Kohli 6/10-Led the team admirably again,continued his string of low scores in the 1st but played a very underrated and important knock in the 2nd...should have gotten a 50 but overall decent knock and hopefully this is his return to run making form.

A.Rahane-7/10-Clutch knock in the 1st innings.....failed in the 2nd innings...also add to it his incredible fielding...one of our MVP's in our recent test success.

R.Sharma 8/10-Soon developing a reputation of being our impact player in the 2nd innings...clutch knock in the 3rd innings yet again....hattrick of impactful 3rd innings scores....His 82 was probably what sealed the deal for this win and closed the door on Nzl hopes.Not to forget what he brings to the table with his livewire fielding and running between the wickets.

W.Saha-10/10-Perfect 10,what else can you ask from a wk-batsman when he is amazing behind the stumps and also plays 2 clutch knocks with the bat and remains not-out in both innings...cannot get more perfect than that...deserving man of the match.

R.Jadeja-7/10-If he needs to be considered a serious allrounder,needs to contribute more with the bat consistently......Cutting a point of for his irresponsible stroke play especially when you are considered a accomplished batsman at domestic level......WIth bowling he is almost unhittable though-4 wickets in this test with consistent line and length getting crucial breakthroughs.

R.Ashwin-7/10-One of the rare times,when he is not the star of the show in a home test.Decent knock in the 1st innings,took backseat with the ball in the 1st innings to the fast bowlers,did well in the important 2nd innings,getting crucial breakthroughs.

B.Kumar-8/10-Fantastic spell in the 1st innings but only problem is he is on a different level when there is something in the pitch or conditions,but does he have that extra pace to knock out tailenders is still to be seen....Usually with swing bowlers,when they are in rythm they run through the top order but run out of gas when it comes to the tail and their pace may make them a little ineffective by then....Bhuvi is not an out and out trundler by any means but need to see him still on flat pitches.

M.Shami-9/10-The guy is our best fast bowler right now,has everything...swing,seam,pace,reverse swing....our bowling MVP of the match for sure.

Upvoted but we did see Bhuvi knocking over and running loops around tailenders with reverse swing today

11 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Will give an extra mark to kohli - I SAW a Great Leader in him today

1. His bowling changes were oustanding.

2. the way he ran n made rohit ran btw wkts always gave both the extra run n it never allows a bowler to bowl all 6 ball at same batsman. Sounds very small but makes huge diff

3. His knock was terrific , the way he got out was absolute unfortunate . But such a composed and steady knock calm the nerves of other players in dressing room that their arent many demons in the pitch. 

4. That quick pick up n throw effort which made everyone realise that captain is serious and really intense. IF ur captain is that intense and setting that standard . 

5. The way he was chirping, cheering and encouraging his bowlers. Im a huge Dhoni fan but my biggest critisicm with him was when shoulders were down he was quite . Sometimes u need to pick the morale of the side and thats what a leader does. 

6. Most importantly the way he was bringing crowd in the game. There is nothing that can pick a tired fast bowler than crowd behind him

These things are very small and deals with Psyche but that what international cricket is , its a lot in mind. 

What we saw today was the difference between a proactive and a reactive captain. 

This test match is a very good example for Bhuvi to study what worked for him and what did not.

He looked superb in 3 spells when he was bowling with effort, hit the deck at times and  bowling a high % of deliveries between 133 k and 139 k.

There were 2 other spells when he bowled 125 k to 130 k and generally floated the ball in.  He looked very innocuous then.

Bhuvi is a fast learner and I am sure he has observed this.

It was good to see him reverse the ball today.

Edited by express bowling
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

This test match is a very good example for Bhuvi to study what worked for him and what did not.

He looked superb in 3 spells when he was bowling with effort, hit the deck at times and  bowling a high % of deliveries between 133 k and 139 k.

There were 2 other spells when he bowled 125 k to 130 k and generally floated the ball in.  He looked very innocuous then.

Give him a break man. The guy got 5 wicket hauls in 2 Tests in a row and setup both matches for us. And despite that, there is no guarantee that Kohli will pick him for the next Test or not. 

18 minutes ago, radhika said:

Bhuvi was 9/10

Agree. Setup the match for us when the spinners were not being very effective.

14 minutes ago, Texan said:

Give him a break man. The guy got 5 wicket hauls in 2 Tests in a row and setup both matches for us. And despite that, there is no guarantee that Kohli will pick him for the next Test or not. 

I  don't understand your post.

I was talking about different bowling techniques used by him and which one worked better......in fact significantly better.

I was also talking about him using reverse swing effectively.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

I  don't understand your post.

I was talking about different bowling techniques used by him and which one worked better......in fact significantly better.

I was also talking about him using reverse swing effectively.

True.....likes of Akram,Zaheer,Steyn,Anderson etc. used to Up their pace when the ball is reversing...when conditions are in favor and ball is swinging 130 odd is good enough to trouble top line batsmen especially when you have the skills of bowlers I mentioned but when there is reverse you need the ability to hit 140K's to be effective.

India's best reverse swing bowlers I have seen are Zak,Sreeshanth,Shami and Ishant and all had or have the ability to hit 140K's......Kapil,Pathan,RP and even Bhuvi etc were all successful with conventional swing.

Srinath and Zak would have gotten a lot more wickets had they mastered reverse swing much earlier.

Bhuvi can hit 140K's as we saw in IPL in shorter bursts,need to work on stamina to maintain momentum with the old ball....have to say he is much improved with the older ball now than when he started his career...Let us wait and watch

19 minutes ago, maniac said:

True.....likes of Akram,Zaheer,Steyn,Anderson etc. used to Up their pace when the ball is reversing...when conditions are in favor and ball is swinging 130 odd is good enough to trouble top line batsmen especially when you have the skills of bowlers I mentioned but when there is reverse you need the ability to hit 140K's to be effective.

India's best reverse swing bowlers I have seen are Zak,Sreeshanth,Shami and Ishant and all had or have the ability to hit 140K's......Kapil,Pathan,RP and even Bhuvi etc were all successful with conventional swing.

Srinath and Zak would have gotten a lot more wickets had they mastered reverse swing much earlier.

Bhuvi can hit 140K's as we saw in IPL in shorter bursts,need to work on stamina to maintain momentum with the old ball....have to say he is much improved with the older ball now than when he started his career...Let us wait and watch

It is an interesting discussion.

I feel the reasons why higher release speeds are needed for being effective with reverse swing compared to conventional  swing include  --

a)   As  the ball reverses when it is older, the seam is usually softer and  the ball does not zip through to the batsman as effectively. Also,  the air drag increases for the older ball.  Conventional swing happens with the brand new ball and the ball gets through quicker even if released at a lower speed.

b)    We usually see bowlers bowling inswingers when they reverse the ball and  you need quicker deliveries to make the batsman miss the ball completely as compared to  edging the ball.

11 hours ago, maniac said:

R.Sharma 8/10-Soon developing a reputation of being our impact player in the 2nd innings...clutch knock in the 3rd innings yet again....hattrick of impactful 3rd innings scores....His 82 was probably what sealed the deal for this win and closed the door on Nzl hopes.Not to forget what he brings to the table with his livewire fielding and running between the wickets

u cd av rittn oly dis 

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

comes around to the concept of fitness. lack of muscle mass with a slim torso is not optimally fit, bhuv needs to gain some critical muscle mass ( not saying muscle up and loose function but gain critical muscle mass to produce sufficient strength) 

10 hours ago, Vilander said:

comes around to the concept of fitness. lack of muscle mass with a slim torso is not optimally fit, bhuv needs to gain some critical muscle mass ( not saying muscle up and loose function but gain critical muscle mass to produce sufficient strength) 

Can easily be changed if some whey is added to his diet. I think he is vegetarian so meat might not be on the menu but whey protein can easily compensate

1 hour ago, New guy said:

Can easily be changed if some whey is added to his diet. I think he is vegetarian so meat might not be on the menu but whey protein can easily compensate

easily Whey, casein,pea protein, vegan protein anything all veg..just have some protein shakes. Or maybe he does not believe in it, wonder how its possible for an international athlete to not know about it so obviously its a choice.