‘Kerala has good potential in pace bowling’ Jeff Thomson

Jeff Thomson is impressed by the depth Kerala has in pace bowling.

The former Australian fast bowler had a close look at the present and the future of Kerala’s pace bowling at a two-week long camp, which concluded at the Wayanad Cricket Stadium here on Thursday. It was organised by the Bowling Foundation launched recently by the Kerala Cricket Association and IDBI Federal Life Insurance.

At the camp, Thomson, who is regarded by many as cricket’s fastest ever bowler, worked with the cream of Kerala’s pace-bowling talent. “I found many of them pretty good,” he told The Hindu. “I think there is more depth in Kerala than Mumbai or Karnataka when it comes to pace bowlers; I have seen a larger number of talented players here than those two places, where also I had conducted camps.”

Willing to work

Thomson, who took 200 Test wickets from 51 Tests and formed a lethal new-ball combination with Dennis Lillee, said the Kerala bowlers were strong and willing to work hard.

“Boys like Sandeep Warrier, Basil Thampi, M.K. Asif and Tilbin Joseph look pretty good,” he said. “I see a lot of potential for pace bowling in Kerala.”

For Kerala’s young bowlers, it was indeed an excellent opportunity to work with one of the legends in fast bowling. “We learnt several new things about bowling fast from him,” said Sandeep. “He did not make any major changes technically, since the new season is just a few weeks away, but ironed out some rough edges.”

Thomson said he was looking forward to working with the boys again. “I am also impressed with the ground and the facilities here,” he said. “The weather has been nice too. I have enjoyed my time here. It is so quiet and cool, quite unlike Mumbai or Bengaluru.”

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/kerala-has-good-potential-in-pace-bowling/article9111483.ece

Tinu was the first kerala bowler trained from MRF pace Academy, followed by Prashanth Chandran, Sreeshanth, Nizar Niyas, MD Nitheesh and now Basil Thampi. From 2000 Kerala is regularly able to bring quality fast medium bowlers every season. But KCA always do the same mistake of preparing pitches assisting spinners. They ignored the fact that they are having quality fast bowlers and not the spinners. Otherwise few more would have played for India apart from Sree & Tinu by this time.

Fazil Muhammed from Kerala along with Tinu Yohannan & Prashanth Chandran was initially picked for the first NCA batch as they impressed Kapil & Tendulkar while bowling in the nets. But Tinu & Prashanth preferred MRF to NCA. Apart from these guys Prashanth Parameswaran, Manu Unnikrishnan & Athif Bin Asharaf had good performances in the recent times. MK Asif & Tiblin Joseph even after impressing Jeff Thompson also was unable to play any FC matches for Kerala in the last Ranji season. Hope they both play in the next season in pitches assisting fast bowlers !!!!!

5 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Tinu Youhannan was a disappointment. Although being tall and fit, he was at best medium fast. There was nothing special about him

While at MRF pace academy, Dennis Lillee was highly impressed with Tinu. I remember in an interview in Hindu sports page, Lillee was speaking very highly of Tinu and he was sure that the guy will play for India. In that year Irani trophy he impressed the selectors, and according to them he was able to extract good bounce from that slow & low pitch. Apart from that he was bowling long spells at the fag end of the day with great stamina.

But I agree that with this much hype, I was also expecting him to bowl well for India. But I was disappointed when I saw him bowl in New Zealand series with speeds below 135 kph.