England Tour of India November 9 2016 - Feb 1 2017: 5 Tests, 3 ODIs, 3 T20s

Laaloo

17 minutes ago, laaloo said:

What has Pandya showcased in FC to be selected for such an important test series?

I think the team management is looking for a pacer-allrounder and Pandya has been picked as the best one available. It is more of a slot-based selection rather than a long term performance based one.

Pandya  did well with both the bat and the ball in the 2 Unofficial test matches on the A tour to Australia and that has tilted the scales in his favour along with the fact that he has a bit of pace.

It is obviously an adventurous selection and only time will tell if it is right or not.

If played as a 2nd fast bowler, his ability to reverse the ball will be the key in India and I don't know whether he is adept at reversing the ball.  If not,  he would not add any value as a bowler in India.  If played as a batsman at No.6, I doubt whether he would be any worse than Rohit in tests.

Edited by express bowling
5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I think the team management is looking for a pacer-allrounder and Pandya has been picked as the best one available. It is more of a slot-based selection rather than a long term performance based one.

Pandya  did well with both the bat and the ball in the 2 Unofficial test matches on the A tour to Australia and that has tilted the scales in his favour along with the fact that he has a bit of pace.

It is obviously an adventurous selection and only time will tell if it is right or not.

If played as a 2nd fast bowler, his ability to reverse the ball will be the key in India and I don't know whether he is adept at reversing the ball.  If not,  he would not add any value as a bowler in India.  If played as a batsman at No.6, I doubt whether he would be any worse than Rohit in tests.

Let's hope you're right. But with Ishant and yadav fit, I doubt Pandya would get selected as a 2nd pacer. You would have to assume Shami is an automatic selection. If Kohli plays 3 spinners, then Shami will be the pacer. 

Edited by laaloo
11 minutes ago, laaloo said:

Let's hope you're right. But with Ishant and yadav fit, I doubt Pandya would get selected as a 2nd pacer. You would have to assume Shami is an automatic selection. If Kohli plays 3 spinners, then Shami will be the pacer. 

You are probably right. 

I personally think that a pacer-allrounder is required more for test matches outside Asia...unless he can reverse the ball at pace.

They are probably trying to groom him for the future when we tour overseas.

Edited by express bowling
18 minutes ago, express bowling said:

You are probably right. 

I personally think that a pacer-allrounder is required more for test matches outside Asia...unless he can reverse the ball at pace.

In case we decide to go with 3 spinners, pandya comes in handy also

He would definitely play in asia. 

Its something i think we did in 90s to when ganguly at times played as 2nd seamer and bowler a few overs and then spinners took on. 

As far as reverse is concerned, he has the pace for it and he can learn from shami 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
36 minutes ago, laaloo said:

What is the problem? Yeah I'm not going to say oh look at Jadeja he has 3 triple centuries in FC. He has good stats. What has Pandya showcased in FC to be selected for such an important test series?

Could be any of these reasons why he is in the team .

• He seems to have genuine talent for starters
  • Kumble / Kohli might have watched him closely and found him special or the kind of player the team needs now
  • Rohit injured . So could fill in as the second pacer and decent lower order batsman [allows to play the 3rd spinner]
  • Good player of spin 
  • Or may be Kohli and Kumble wants to keep him part of the team considering the foreign tours next season

1 hour ago, laaloo said:

Should have selected Dhawal Kulkarni instead of Pandya. Dhawal has toiled his ass off in the domestics. He has better numbers with the bat and ball for a longer duration than Pandya. Pandya is a better version of Binny at this point in career. Dhawal had a 10-fer in his last FC match.

Are you serious?  And didn't Dhawal's 10-fer come at Lahli? where all teams are getting out cheaply?  Did you not see him get spanked in the ODIs?   Nothing against Dhawal, he's a hard trier, and deserves to be in the conversation.  But comparing Pandya to Dhawal as an allround package is just asinine.

Despite performing good,Rohit sharma's absence doesnt affect anyone..That shows his worth as a test player..Karun Nair, if given the chance should perform & kick ttf Rohit out of the test team.

Despite performing against NZ,Rohit sharma's absence doesnt affect anyone..That shows his worth as a test player..Karun Nair, if given the chance should perform & kick ttf Rohit out of the test team.

38 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

In case we decide to go with 3 spinners, pandya comes in handy also

He would definitely play in asia. 

Its something i think we did in 90s to when ganguly at times played as 2nd seamer and bowler a few overs and then spinners took on. 

As far as reverse is concerned, he has the pace for it and he can learn from shami 

He might play in Asia but whether he will add value to the team in test matches on spinning tracks....would depend  on his  ability to play spin  or / and reverse the ball.  

On a pitch where 3 spinners are required, even one pacer and one spinner are often used as new ball bowlers.  Ganguly opened the bowling, when only one pacer was playing, because he was anyway in the team as a batsman.

I think Kohli and Kumble has asked for Pandya to accommodate 3 spinners in the line up.So he was picked

all of a sudden. Pandya can swing the red cherry and I'll await to see his skills with the old ball,certainly quick

enough with the old ball to utilize reverse swing.He's decent batsman and a brilliant fielder.His selection gives us

a fair balance in the team.This team has good batting depth and 5 bowlers.After the Bangladesh series it'll be

foolish not to play 3 spinners against the poms.

Thank god Sandeep Patil is gone, just heard his interview.......

• He is surprised by pandya's inclusion . Acc to him binny wasnt given enough chance and was not used properly. In 1st half of interview he was given enough chance. Their Selection committee had different policy and faith in binny.
  • He is also surprised by Jayant yadav inclusion. Acc to  him their selection committee gave team bhajji-ashwin combo yet he didnt get proper backing and enough chances