Hardik Pandya : The test allrounder

tweaker

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

No, it does not work like that. It is like expecting spinners from Aus, England, SA to pick a lot of wickets just  because pitches in India help them. Bowling overseas is completely game altogether than in India. You are not going to develop a habit of bowling a lot of overs with consistency if you are sitting half the time on the bench. How much you bowling in ODIs and T20s are not related to test cricket performance because nature of cricket is different in all 3 formats.

Recently, Indian wickets have been more spin oriented. I really don't see what he'll gain from bowling on such kind of pitch. Take Batty as an example, when was the last time he played for his team, yet here he is getting picked up ahead of someone like Anderson or even Broad. Bowling lot of overs on dead wickets doesn't always equate to performing well overseas. 

3 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Recently, Indian wickets have been more spin oriented. I really don't see what he'll gain from bowling on such kind of pitch. Take Batty as an example, when was the last time he played for his team, yet here he is getting picked up ahead of someone like Anderson or even Broad. Bowling lot of overs on dead wickets doesn't always equate to performing well overseas. 

One issue that arises, especially  for a newly laid down track, is that nobody is sure how it will behave. Can happen regarding some other pitches too, whose nature is not certain before the match starts.

In such a case, the team management wants to keep all bases covered. If the ball is spinning  then there are enough spinners and batsmen. If there is some help for seamers then there are atleast 2 to take advantage of that.  Pandya may come in handy if there is such uncertainty over this Rajkot pitch.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

One issue that arises, especially  for a newly laid down track, is that nobody is sure how it will behave. Can happen regarding some other pitches too, whose nature is not certain before the match starts.

In such a case, the team management wants to keep all bases covered. If the ball is spinning  then there are enough spinners and batsmen. If there is some help for seamers then there are atleast 2 to take advantage of that.  Pandya may come in handy if there is such uncertainty over this Rajkot pitch.

Pandya may come in handy only if there is a need for 3 or more seamers and going by the recent trend, its unlikely to happen in India. Let him develop his game around LOIs, that is where we need his skills more as a seaming all-rounder. But for overseas tours, he should be picked ahead of Jadeja.    

Edited by Lannister
2 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Pandya may come in handy only if there is a need for 3 or more seamers and going by the recent trend, its unlikely to happen. Let him develop his game around LOIs, that is where we need his skills more as a seaming all-rounder. But for overseas tours, he should be picked ahead of Jadeja.    

If we had a settled and good 6th batsman for test matches then it would have been different.

Here, we have a situation where Pandya batted better than Karun Nair in the recently concluded A tour.  I don't think the management will select Nair over Pandya.

5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

If we had a settled and good 6th batsman for test matches then it would have been different.

Here, we have a situation where Pandya batted better than Karun Nair in the recently concluded A tour.  I don't think the management will select Nair over Pandya.

I am sorry, but that is where you are wrong. Nair has an exceptional stat, even better than KL Rahul's, when batting in Indian conditions. The performance of players in Australia doesn't really matter when you are playing in subcontinent. 

1 hour ago, Lannister said:

I am sorry, but that is where you are wrong. Nair has an exceptional stat, even better than KL Rahul's, when batting in Indian conditions. The performance of players in Australia doesn't really matter when you are playing in subcontinent. 

I am not talking about my personal opinion but what the our Team management is likely to do.

Karun averages 52 in FC which is good but not great.  ( Rahul averages 53 )

Besides, I don't think  the Indian team management takes FC stats that seriously unless exceptional....otherwise, Pandya would not be in the team in the first place.

You do have a point about performing in Australia but not sure that will be actually considered.

Edited by express bowling

Pandya needs stronger legs.  He won't last long as a test allrounder otherwise.  Fitness is a catch-all term, I hope he's getting the correct targeted guidance that a pace bowler needs.  Strong legs, strong core, lean wiry physique a la Mitch Johnson - no chesticles like Chuckthar needed.  

On 11/8/2016 at 5:08 AM, express bowling said:

I am not talking about my personal opinion but what the our Team management is likely to do.

Karun averages 52 in FC which is good but not great.  ( Rahul averages 53 )

Besides, I don't think  the Indian team management takes FC stats that seriously unless exceptional....otherwise, Pandya would not be in the team in the first place.

You do have a point about performing in Australia but not sure that will be actually considered.

Presently, not many players in FC who average above 55 after playing 3-4+ seasons. Can only think of Bawne and Hanuman.

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Presently, not many players in FC who average above 55 after playing 3-4+ seasons. Can only think of Bawne and Hanuman.

yes, all the greats who played for india had averaged 55-60 in domestics - sachin dravid pujara rahane kohli even rohit

bawne needs to be tried because he plays in group A...hanuma played in weak group

8 minutes ago, SUMO said:

yes, all the greats who played for india had averaged 55-60 in domestics - sachin dravid pujara rahane kohli even rohit

bawne needs to be tried because he plays in group A...hanuma played in weak group

Sorry, but Rohit is not a Test great at the moment, and neither for that matter is Chepu. Rahane and Kohli are getting there (hopefully).

As for Vihari, he can only play against the teams he is given the opportunity and his record is very very good. Bawne too.

And not all greats averaged over 55 in FC, Sehwag averaged a bit below 50 in fact.

Edited by Vijy
2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Sorry, but Rohit is not a Test great at the moment, and neither for that matter is Chepu. Rahane and Kohli are getting there (hopefully).

As for Vihari, he can only play against the teams he is given the opportunity and his record is very very good. Bawne too.

And not all greats averaged over 55 in FC, Sehwag averaged a bit below 50 in fact.

agree but I am looking for skills.  mental toughness can only be tested in the internationals...
yes chepu rahane kohli are nowhere greats yet but you can say all goog batman to play for india have averaged 55-60 in domestics 
although there are exceptions like sehwag,mohinder etc

2 minutes ago, SUMO said:

agree but I am looking for skills.  mental toughness can only be tested in the internationals...
yes chepu rahane kohli are nowhere greats yet but you can say all goog batman to play for india have averaged 55-60 in domestics 
although there are exceptions like sehwag,mohinder etc

Most of them yes. Laxman also had a great FC record.

The playing style of a batsman needs to be gauged before introducing him in test matches.

Batters with a good idea about where his off-stump is and is comfortable against the short rising deliveries, will be better picks.

Batsmen doing well under pressure is another criterion.

The ones who are not need to work on these weaknesses.

I would look for batters who are doing well on green tracks, against decent bowling sides and also doing well on rank turners.

Abhinav Mukund is one batsman who looks better than others in domestics on these counts.

Even Saurav Tiwary has looked like a fighter in Duleep Trophy and handled short balls well.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

The playing style of a batsman needs to be gauged before introducing him in test matches.

Batters with a good idea about where his off-stump is and is comfortable against the short rising deliveries, will be better picks.

Batsmen doing well under pressure is another criterion.

The ones who are not need to work on these weaknesses.

I would look for batters who are doing well on green tracks, against decent bowling sides and also doing well on rank turners.

Abhinav Mukund is one batsman who looks better than others in domestics on these counts.

Even Saurav Tiwary has looked like a fighter in Duleep Trophy and handled short balls well.

S. Tiwary has far too many weaknesses. As for Mukund, he's a bit like KLR - scores many 100s but also falls cheaply often.

On 11/8/2016 at 7:32 AM, sandeep said:

Pandya needs stronger legs.  He won't last long as a test allrounder otherwise.  Fitness is a catch-all term, I hope he's getting the correct targeted guidance that a pace bowler needs.  Strong legs, strong core, lean wiry physique a la Mitch Johnson - no chesticles like Chuckthar needed.  

Phew, Pandya is one of the fittest players around, yes he is wiry but super fit , per physio after Virat he comes , for ref Google his training pics, he is not a BK who needs to get stronger, Yadav n Shami n Ishant too are fit, Mishra is unfit

Edited by MCcricket