Jayant Yadav

tweaker

Jayant Yadav has looked really good with the bat and  quite innocuous with the ball.

Excellent fielder though.

He played with a straight bat, went to the pitch of the ball and never played away from the body. Watched the ball carefully too and looked at ease with the bat in test matches.

While bowling, he rarely got any side spin and did not put enough revs on the ball.  He used his whole  body while bowling and that is a plus but looked innocuous as a bowler overall.  Was economical today though.

Edited by express bowling
Just now, sandeep said:

Can't deny that Kuldeep would have been more exciting to watch, but the selection has merit - Jayant is Ashwin's backup in case of injury, and definitely a decent bat down the order too.  Kuldeep's time will come I'm sure, as long as he keeps getting it done.  

How do you measure that? Do you have a scale for this because you seem to be pretty against fast-tracking.

Jayant is not a long term prospect...A test version of Axar Patel,pretty much......rewarded for his service in domestics good enough but not the one for the future.

Too early to say, let him play a few games so he gets his confidence and get into his own. A good thing he contributes with bat and with fielding so he isnt a liability like Mishra. With this eng lineup and bang coming up, he can come in use as second off spinner. Dravid rates him highly so wud like to see few more games what he is all about. Its important to find good bits and pieces cricketers for test cricket for diff conditions to lend balance to the team. 

4 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Any quotes of Rahul Dravid on Jayant Yadav? @Ankit_sharma03

heard in some interview of dravid and a lot of times its been mentioned by sports journalist that dravid really likes him. 

This is all i found on net- "I have been quite happy to see some spin talent. Ojha (Pragyan) came back and bowled well. Shreyas Gopal has potential. Jayant Yadav is an exciting talent. 

Link- http://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/india-a-coach-rahul-dravid-defends-virat-kohli

But i have heard time n again that he has mentioned that he is impressed by jayant

After not having to do anything on day one as India lost just four wickets after winning the toss and batting first, Jayant was called into action on day two with both bat and ball. The 26-year-old scored a handy 32, before picking up his maiden Test wicket later in the day.

Speaking at the end of day’s play, Jayant said it was a dream come true.

“I thoroughly enjoyed it and I’m looking forward to tomorrow. When we start playing proper cricket, when you get into an academy, all you dream of playing is Test cricket. Coincidentally, I had my ODI and Test debut at the same ground,” said Jayant.

“The first day, it (Test cap) did hover in my head for a long time. In the dressing room, people share a lot of things. So a lot of (recent) debutants, like KL (Rahul) told me what to expect.”

The debutant was involved in a 64-run partnership for the ninth wicket with fellow off-spinning all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin.

“Ash (Ashwin) was doing much of the talking in our partnership and he was just saying to express yourself, nothing special,” said Jayant.

Speaking about the successful leg-before-wicket review against Moeen Ali that saw him get his first Test wicket, he said: “Wriddhi (Wriddhiman) did the job of convincing the captain. We had the same view on whether the ball was hitting the stumps.”

The Haryana cricketer also spoke about his experiences with the India A team and mentioned that Rahul Dravid, who coached him at the Delhi Daredevils and India A, has helped him a lot.

“India A is a very good stepping stone. There’s a vast difference in under-19, first-class and international cricket. Rahul (Dravid) being my mentor and coach helped. More than skills, it’s about handling the crunch situations,” he added.

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-article/jayant-yadavs-first-small-step-turns-into-a-giant-leap/229863

From a distance, given his build, he can be mistaken for R Ashwin. He doesn’t bat like him, and he obviously doesn’t bowl like him, but Jayant Yadav has already established himself as the perfect understudy to the No. 1 allrounder on the ICC Test rankings.

The legend of Ashwin has been in the making for the last few years. With runs all around the world, and burgeoning wickets in most parts, he has established himself as the premier match-winner in the team, Virat Kohli’s go-to man with the ball in a crisis and lending the balance at No. 6 that allows the skipper to use the extra bowling option should he so feel the need.

Ashwin has been man of the series an India-high six times in seven series wins for the country since his Test debut. That’s a phenomenal achievement by any standards; even those that questioned his lack of incisiveness with the ball overseas must now acknowledge that, following his exploits in Sri Lanka last year and the Caribbean earlier this year, he is no dust-track bully, but particularly in India, there is a tendency to run our heroes down within seconds of putting them on a pedestal.

Ashwin is quick with a repartee, unafraid to tread on the wrong side of political correctness and more than willing to take up cudgels if he feels the occasion so demands. These are traits that might be used against him when it comes to bad times, but he doesn’t plan to have bad times. And if he does have bad times and if those traits are held against him, he will man up to them too, one suspects.

On Friday (November 18) at the ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium, he manned up to the challenge of taking on England, first with bat and then with ball, to put India in a dominant position in the second Test. After a silken-smooth 58 swelled India’s total to 455, he then came back to harry the old foes with the ball, tormenting and eventually accounting for Ben Duckett before putting it across Joe Root, England’s best batsman of the game thus far.

But it wasn’t just an Ashwin show on Friday. Jayant, 26, may not have matched him stroke for stroke with the bat or blow for blow with the ball, but he more than held his own on his Test debut which, eerily coincidentally, came at the same venue where he made his One-Day International debut, against New Zealand, a little under three weeks back.

Jayant strode out to the middle a little past the hour mark, India having lost 3 for 12 to Moeen Ali and seemingly frittering away the massive advantage procured through the giant 226-run stand between Cheteshwar Pujara and Kohli the previous day. If he was nervous, it would have been understandable. As it turned out, if he was indeed nervous, it was beautifully couched as he went about the business of accumulating runs with nary an iota of self-doubt or hesitancy.

Off the mark with a brace, he was industrious at the crease, and lapped up the plentiful of advice that came from Ashwin, who was repeatedly in the younger man’s ear. With more time in the middle, he seemed to be convinced that he belonged at this grade, and his disappointment at top-edging a slog-sweep off Adil Rashid was all too palpable as he left the field in a blaze of self-recrimination despite making a polished 35.

Never mind. By the time India came back on to the park with the luxury of 455 runs under their belt, his composure had returned. He made the odd stop, but really shone through in the 21st over when a smart piece of captaincy, a smart piece fielding and excellent work from Wriddhiman Saha contributed to the run-out of Haseeb Hameed.

Kohli moved the occasionally lumbering Ashwin from midwicket to mid-on and Jayant in the opposite direction to counter Root’s punches through the back foot on the on-side off Ravindra Jadeja, and the call paid immediate dividend when Jayant hared towards deepish square-leg and looped in an off-balance throw. Saha, alive to the possibilities, advanced in the direction of the fielder, caught the throw and back-handed it on to the stumps to catch Hameed, sent back attempting a second run, short. All this meant that by the time he was summoned to the bowling crease in the 33rd over, he was under no pressure whatsoever.

R Ashwin and Jayant Yadav shared a eighth-wicket partnership of 64 runs to take India to 455. © BCCI

R Ashwin and Jayant Yadav shared a eighth-wicket partnership of 64 runs to take India to 455. © BCCI

His first over was largely uneventful, but with the second ball of his second over, he defeated Moeen Ali’s dance down the track and struck him on his pad. Jayant was convinced the ball would have gone to hit the stumps had the pad not come in the way, though it was ultimately Saha who had been standing behind the stumps who convinced Kohli to go for the review. The review proved Jayant and Saha right, and Kumar Dharmasena, who had originally negated the leg-before shout, wrong. First Test wicket in the bag. Whoever said Test cricket was difficult?

It is clear that Ashwin and Jayant share a strong bond, and the former threw further light on their relationship when he said, “Me and Jayant go a long way back actually. Two-three years ago, he came down to Chennai, he was staying near my house for about two weeks. He practiced with me and I know the boy really well. He is someone who can really understand what I say and we have a very, very good rapport. I felt really happy for him, the way he came out and batted positively. His body language was great. Every bit of communication between us was auguring into the partnership getting deeper, so I kind of enjoyed it. Very happy for him to have got his first wicket as well.”

Jayant’s hasn’t been a regulation story in Indian cricket, though he has come through the ranks and put in the hard yards. When not yet 10, he lost his mother Lakshmi, an air hostess, to a plane crash near Aurangabad some 17 years ago. But he continued to find strong support and backing and encouragement, and is as close to his stepmother Jyoti as he was to his biological mother.

During his ODI debut, the India players sported the names of their mother on the back of their jersey. The name on Jayant’s back read Lakshmi. Immediately after the match, he came on live television with a message: “My mom Lakshmi is no more. But I want to give a message to my mother Jyoti who is sitting at home. She must be really anxious right now. Mom, I’m really sorry. The name… I don’t know what happened. Some mix-up. But don’t worry, you are always here (pointing to his heart).”

After all, it is the heart that makes the man, isn’t it?

1 hour ago, gakgupta said:

biggest plus for jayant is ...."he uses his body a lot more".......it is very rare.......n i m very sure, he can be very successful anywhere in the world.....but i m surprised, he is not getting enough side ways spin/......not sure why...any comments?

I think he is not holding the ball tightly and ripping it to impart enough revs thats why no drift and side spin.
there was an ashes series in which they were showing rpm imparted by spinners on the ball: swann 2200, other spinners 1900 
part timers 1800 
it will interesting to see how much ash and jayant are able to put revs on the ball

The other spin contender for the test squad was Shahbaz Nadeem - Shabaz has been more consistent over longer, and particulary good last season, has a better FC record - JY's FC record is not spectacular

But Yadav was decent on the A tour whereas Shahbaz got hammered, that would have seriously tilted in his favour, And of course JY can bat.

Kuldeep and Yuzvendra Chahal are now bowling well in FC cricket, let them have one good season at least and then a good A series. They should potentailly be the spin duo in the next A team XI

3 hours ago, gakgupta said:

biggest plus for jayant is ...."he uses his body a lot more".......it is very rare.......n i m very sure, he can be very successful anywhere in the world.....but i m surprised, he is not getting enough side ways spin/......not sure why...any comments?

Must be nerveousness of 1st test and lack of confidence which comes with success.......the more wkts he gets the more confidence he ll gain. Rhythm wud become better, the action will go smooth and things will fall in place. 

6 hours ago, Sooda said:

The other spin contender for the test squad was Shahbaz Nadeem - Shabaz has been more consistent over longer, and particulary good last season, has a better FC record - JY's FC record is not spectacular

But Yadav was decent on the A tour whereas Shahbaz got hammered, that would have seriously tilted in his favour, And of course JY can bat.

Kuldeep and Yuzvendra Chahal are now bowling well in FC cricket, let them have one good season at least and then a good A series. They should potentailly be the spin duo in the next A team XI

Nadeen plays a lot on spinning track, yadav at Lahli.