Jayant Yadav

tweaker

On the eve of the second Test in Visakhapatnam, Virat Kohli had hinted there might be a surprise in the India XI, but not even he would have thought the rabbit he pulled out of the hat could become such a hit. Jayant Yadav, on Test debut, provided his team with vital lower-order runs and then conjured a wicket out of nowhere in the field, and even made excellent use of the DRS..

26 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Moeen Ali...another finger spinner...was getting more turn than our spinners.

This has been a perennial problem with our spinners ....I think they focus more on drift and loop than on side-spin.

Moeen ali got the ball to turn from the rough out side off. Our bowlers havent pitched the ball in the roughs.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Are you happy with the turn and bounce that our spinners have got over the years, compared to other top spinners from other countries  ?

Why can't we get a couple of spinners who get more turn and bounce than most other spinners  ?

if spinners from other countries had got more turn and bounce, they probably would have won more games here. Thing is Swann and Panesar were quality bowlers for these conditions.

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

if spinners from other countries had got more turn and bounce, they probably would have won more games here. 

Not really....our batsmen, even 5 years ago, were some of the best batsmen against spin.  here is also the question of control, knowing which sequence of deliveries to bowl, actual experience of taking wickets

Warne, Murali, McGill, Mushtaq Ahmed, Abdul Qadir, Paul Adams...were big spinners of the ball.  Even Swann, Panesar, Lyon etc. generally spin more than our spinners. There are many others as well but these names are just off the top of my head.

10 hours ago, express bowling said:

Moeen Ali...another finger spinner...was getting more turn than our spinners.

This has been a perennial problem with our spinners ....I think they focus more on drift and loop than on side-spin.

There are big turners in domestic cricket, but they never come close to selection - Quadri for example turns the ball more than any leggie I've seen, barring McGill.

India first needs to sort out its top 5 batters (ie all of them need to be firing) before it can afford to play a full time bowler.

The problem is Vijay Pujara Kohli are the only top 5 bowlers who are having a decent series. Rahane (so far) and the openers alongside Vijay are having a below average series.

Then you look at Jadeja. I would not rely on him with the bat. In marathi there is a term called "khotta sikka" (false coin passed off as a coin).

Saha once again, I am starting to have doubts about him with the bat. You want to play 5 bowlers then its clear that you need sombody like a Jayant who can atleast chip in with 20-30 runs down the order.

So either our top 5 need to be on fire or the likes of Jadeja Saha etc need to be dependable enough to compensate somebody who may be a full time bowler.

The only solution I see if playing Karun Nair who also bowls spin. This way you get more with the bat and have somebody who can chip in to give the bowlers some rest.

10 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

India first needs to sort out its top 5 batters (ie all of them need to be firing) before it can afford to play a full time bowler.

The problem is Vijay Pujara Kohli are the only top 5 bowlers who are having a decent series. Rahane (so far) and the openers alongside Vijay are having a below average series.

Then you look at Jadeja. I would not rely on him with the bat. In marathi there is a term called "khotta sikka" (false coin passed off as a coin).

Saha once again, I am starting to have doubts about him with the bat. You want to play 5 bowlers then its clear that you need sombody like a Jayant who can atleast chip in with 20-30 runs down the order.

So either our top 5 need to be on fire or the likes of Jadeja Saha etc need to be dependable enough to compensate somebody who may be a full time bowler.

The only solution I see if playing Karun Nair who also bowls spin. This way you get more with the bat and have somebody who can chip in to give the bowlers some rest.

Nair's bowling is nowhere even close to that of Sehwag or SRT, who were themselves only part-timers. Having Nair as the "fifth bowler" is a joke. Perhaps they should look to a spin bowling allrounder in India, like Gopal or Rasool, if Jayant must be discarded.

5 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Yea perhaps Shreyas Gopal who can bat and bit of spin to give rest for main bowlers. India cannot afford "main bowler" as 5th spot given our batsmen are sorta inconsistent. Saha does not inspire confidence as a keeper-batsman.

In this series, yes, Saha has been disappointing on both counts. I had expected more from him, especially with respect to keeping.

Gopal is too raw at the moment in my opinion - leaks far too many runs. Also, he's not really used to batting in the top 6. Rasool, although he plays for a very weak team, is the only spin-allrounder I can think of who bats in the top 5 and also serves as a main bowler.

8 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I have been saying the same about Quadri for a long time,

But, he was neither in our A team nor in any of the Duleep trophy teams.

Yes, it's clear the selectors only think about short-term plans, i.e. let's prepare slow pitches which break up (or raging turners) and have darters like Jaddu playing in the team. And once they go outside, they end up getting pasted and wicketless. Although Ashwin has improved a great deal, these home pitches have certainly helped him to an extent.

What we need is at least one more spinner who can pick up wickets on a wide range of tracks... closest I see is Quadri. Chahal is an intelligent bowler, who is improving, but seems to be more ODI material. Kuldeep, for me, is more flash than substance.