Who da daddy!

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

That's quite a distance between #1 and #2 , cant remember the last time we were #1 and the gap was 7 pts. I will be happy for 8 more days until Dec 8th. Enjoy the win, ppl...

_92708193_de490f93-5aef-4638-981b-23a676

These points are before the match I guess. The official ICC Rankings has India at 115 and England at 105 points, so 10 points difference :adore:

http://www.icc-cricket.com/team-rankings/test

Rank Team Matches Points Rating

India
 29 3328 115

England
44 4631 105

Australia
40 4189 105

Pakistan
32 3274 102

South Africa
29 2944 102

New Zealand
38 3666 96

Sri Lanka
35 3370 96

West Indies
30 2077 69

Bangladesh
15 978 65

Zimbabwe
10 48

18 minutes ago, sourab10forever said:

Yes..could well be a 13+ point lead if we win 4-0

Rank Team Matches Points Rating

India
35 4210 120

Australia
44 4598 105

Pakistan
36 3693 103

South Africa
29 2944 102

England
50 5070 101

New Zealand
38 3666 96

Sri Lanka
35 3370 96

West Indies
30 2077 69

Bangladesh
15 978 65

Zimbabwe
10 48 5

Yep, we would have a 15 point lead over Australia and England would drop to 5.

What's funny is Australia will tour us soon so our lead can get even larger. 

17-1 India's win-loss record in Tests at home when they have lost the toss since the start of 2006 - by far the best for any team during this period. The next-best in this list are Australia who have a 16-5 record in 26 Tests at home when they have lost the toss. During the same period, India's record when they win the toss at home is 14-4.

Impressive

3 hours ago, laaloo said:

17-1 India's win-loss record in Tests at home when they have lost the toss since the start of 2006 - by far the best for any team during this period. The next-best in this list are Australia who have a 16-5 record in 26 Tests at home when they have lost the toss. During the same period, India's record when they win the toss at home is 14-4.

Impressive

Very  interesting. 14-4 when we win toss, versus 17-1

Did the opposition elect to bat first on the times we lost toss? I guess 'nearly' all the time, if not all the time?

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Get used to it guys, this team under Kohli will be the greatest test team of India, heck will go on to say, might match even Steve Waugh's team away from him.

I see the new Indian team winning series in South Africa, England and Australia.

Steady. Let's not go overboard. The Aussie team under Waugh was something else with no weak links while the current Ind line-up has several. In addition they had a much deeper squad with quality reserves ready to go - in contrast the Ind bench is rather weak and lacks depth.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Get used to it guys, this team under Kohli will be the greatest test team of India, heck will go on to say, might match even Steve Waugh's team away from him.

I see the new Indian team winning series in South Africa, England and Australia.

That is debatable. Our batting at its peak had Sehwag-Gambhir, and then the Fab Four followed by Dhoni. At some point, apart from Gangs, everyone in top 6 was averaging quite above 45 (and Dhoni averaged nearly 40). Our bowling wasn't great, but Kumble and Zak were good (and Bhajji for some years, albeit earlier).

This team's batting does not impress me to the same degree. Kohli is improving at a wonderful rate, but Chepu is a HTB, Vijay and Rahane play 1-2 good knocks and then snooze forever, and the 2nd opener isn't fixed yet. We also have some issues with the keeper, although Saha had a good time against NZ and WI. I'd agree that the bowling is better though

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

Steady. Let's not go overboard. The Aussie team under Waugh was something else with no weak links while the current Ind line-up has several. In addition they had a much deeper squad with quality reserves ready to go - in contrast the Ind bench is rather weak and lacks depth.

Yes, that is hard to achieve as Waugh had some of the best players in he dressing room along with bench strength. But honestly, I feel this Indian team has good bench strength to look upto when needed. I have lot of trust in the trio of Pujara-Kohli-Rahane that they will perform well away and at home on consistent basis with the support of our lower order. Our bowlers will also bowl better than what they have done in the past. Kohli is backing the seamers and I am liking it.

I feel he will go for victories more often.

My only fear is Kumble, the coach. He was bit defensive as captain when he captained India and I hope down the line when some combination is not working, I hope he does not change Kohli's mind too much and let him continue to attack as he want to. 

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

That is debatable. Our batting at its peak had Sehwag-Gambhir, and then the Fab Four followed by Dhoni. At some point, apart from Gangs, everyone in top 6 was averaging quite above 45 (and Dhoni averaged nearly 40). Our bowling wasn't great, but Kumble and Zak were good (and Bhajji for some years, albeit earlier).

This team's batting does not impress me to the same degree. Kohli is improving at a wonderful rate, but Chepu is a HTB, Vijay and Rahane play 1-2 good knocks and then snooze forever, and the 2nd opener isn't fixed yet. We also have some issues with the keeper, although Saha had a good time against NZ and WI. I'd agree that the bowling is better though

Those are my favorites in there, the players you mentioned and will continue to be my favorite players. I am saying result wise this current team will win more overses and hence the greatest Indian test team. 

16 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Those are my favorites in there, the players you mentioned and will continue to be my favorite players. I am saying result wise this current team will win more overses and hence the greatest Indian test team. 

Although this bowling attack has more potential for taking 20 wkts, I think that the batting can be prone to collapses (and the lower order may not always bail them out).

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Although this bowling attack has more potential for taking 20 wkts, I think that the batting can be prone to collapses (and the lower order may not always bail them out).

True but we collapsed on other tours too with the greats in there and never won more than one test like on the tours of Australia in 2007-08 or 03 or in South Africa. Few heroics in one game and we can win test matches. Not all of them have to click all together some of them can and few can chip in with 30s and it will help greatly. We just need our bowlers to back our decent batting performances. Hence it is important to keep Shami really fit for the tours to these countries. As soon as a big overseas tour is coming, we need to watch out for Shami's fitness. 

5 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

True but we collapsed on other tours too with the greats in there and never won more than one test like on the tours of Australia in 2007-08 or 03 or in South Africa. Few heroics in one game and we can win test matches. Not all of them have to click all together some of them can and few can chip in with 30s and it will help greatly. We just need our bowlers to back our decent batting performances. Hence it is important to keep Shami really fit for the tours to these countries. As soon as a big overseas tour is coming, we need to watch out for Shami's fitness. 

VK's evolution as a batsman and captain will also play a major role. Has already grown considerably and I hope that he will continue to maintain this intensity.

While it's true that we never won more than 1 Test, some of the times it was because of unnecessary negativity or close misses. Aus in '03-'04, SA in '11, Eng in '07. They could and should have pushed on more.