Outside cricket, what has Tendulkar been for India ?

narenpande1

Does anyone feel that considering his immense influence, reach and the goodwill of the people of India, his contributions to the society have been negligible ?

Apart from photo ops, " tweet supports ", and attending ceremonies, he has hardly done anything of substance for any social cause in India or 

for needy talented sportsmen.

The kind of goodwill that he has had, he could easily raise huge money  for various social causes - that too he has not done - like say Ian Botham or Imran Khan.

Always thought giving him a Bharat Ratna for playing cricket was a terrible choice ( there are many people who deserved it even less ). But he certainly did not deserve it.

Edited by narenpande1

I don't think a lot of the people who got a Bharat Ratna deserved it, so Sachin isn't unique in that regard. I don't think it should be used against him.

However, given his unique popularity, I agree he could possibly do way more.

That's the philanthropy section on Wikipedia:

Tendulkar sponsors 200 underprivileged children every year through Apnalaya, a Mumbai-based NGO associated with his mother-in-law, Annabel Mehta.[403][404] A request from Sachin on Twitter raised 1.02 crore (US$150,000) through Sachin's crusade against cancer for the Crusade against Cancer foundation.[405][406] Sachin Tendulkar spent nine hours on the 12-hour Coca-Cola-NDTV Support My School telethon on 18 September 2011 that helped raise  7 crore –  2 crore more than the target – for from the creation of basic facilities, particularly toilets for girl students, in 140 government schools across the country.

It's unfair to ask him to do more, though. He was popular because of cricket, and he gave his fans everything he could, and they could want in cricketing terms.   

1 hour ago, Tibarn said:

I don't think a lot of the people who got a Bharat Ratna deserved it, so Sachin isn't unique in that regard. I don't think it should be used against him.

However, given his unique popularity, I agree he could possibly do way more.

That's the philanthropy section on Wikipedia:

It's unfair to ask him to do more, though. He was popular because of cricket, and he gave his fans everything he could, and they could want in cricketing terms.   

Sponsoring 200 underprivileged children a year sounds like a lot. But even at high estimates at 70,000 to 1 lakh per year per child, that is 1.4 crores- 2 crores per year. A drop in the ocean for someone like him. 

Counting his presence for just a few hours over several years..is a joke.

Rajinikanth donated 10 crores at the drop of a hat when Chennai floods happened.

Somebody like Tendulkar can influence the culture of philanthropy in India by leading from the front..

Edited by narenpande1

His money and fame are his property....so it's upto him how he uses or not uses it.

But I think he did foolish stuff by gifting BMWs to rio performers. Dipa Karmakar already returned it I think.

He is an aiyyash sort of a person looking at his possessions and the stuff he does with his money...he either doesn't even have charity on his mind or doesn't have the mind to do it properly...

And I always thought he was overrated, didn't deserve the kind of adulation and fan following that he received...but that's because Indian public is foolish I think...

Again it's upto him how he uses or not uses his money and influence.

Edited by randomGuy

15 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

His money and fame are his property....so it's upto him how he uses or not uses it.

But I think he did foolish stuff by gifting BMWs to rio performers. Dipa Karmakar already returned it I think.

He is an aiyyash sort of a person looking at his possessions and the stuff he does with his money...he either doesn't even have charity on his mind or doesn't have the mind to do it properly...

And I always thought he was overrated, didn't deserve the kind of adulation and fan following that he received...but that's because Indian public is foolish I think...

Again it's upto him how he uses or not uses his money and influence.

Exactly our public in general is foolish and his hype is largely a media creation.

Also those BMWs were donated by a businessman. He was just there for photo ops and the ceremony of handing over.

Here is the truth about that..

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/olympics2016/story/sachin-tendulkar-pv-sindhu-sakshi-malik-dipa-karmakar-pullela-gopichand-chamundeshwarnath-bmw-cars/1/751362.html

Most media outlets headlines read " sachin gifts" bmw.. this is exactly the problem..he has had media hype and back him very mysteriously for the most undeserving reasons.

This guy on a NDTV Auto program said that he makes it a point to buy every new BMW model that can be customized every single year, each of which costs several crores with 100 % plus import duty...again it is his money ..his business.

So to keep flaunting the peanuts he gives to apnalaya is a joke.

Edited by narenpande1

1 hour ago, narenpande1 said:

Sponsoring 200 underprivileged children a year sounds like a lot. But even at high estimates at 70,000 to 1 lakh per year per children that is 1.4 crores- 2 crores per year. A drop in the ocean for someone like him. 

Counting his presence for just a few hours over several years..is a joke.

Rajinikanth donated 10 crores at the drop of a hat when Chennai floods happened.

Somebody like Tendulkar can influence the culture of philanthropy in India by leading from the front..

I agree with you, he hasn't done much compared to his stature in India. I just meant that people fell in love with him because of his cricketing ability not him being a great person. 

I mean he has just 6% attendance in Rajya Sabha.:phehe: 

He has helped promote Swachh Bharat, Skill India, and did a good job with adopting a village in Andhra Pradesh, so he helped with some government initiatives. It seems he is willing to help with advertising at least.    

He can be a BIGGER influence in society. But he chooses not to. Ultimately, it is his choice in life, what he chooses to do.

Yes he "could" be a bigger influence in societal causes - if he wants to. He has the position that people adore him.

Even for the game of cricket - he can do a LOT MORE than what he is doing now. But yea - again, its his choice.

Edited by fineleg

Social issue is his personal call.

But I did expect him to play a bigger and better role in improving cricket in India.Give back to a game that gave him so much.The way Dravid ,Kumble and Ganguly are doing in their capacity.

I think there is this perception that he is above all the other greats and needs a role that is above others.

I think he would be comfortable being appointed the Ambassador of India cricket for life.Something in keeping with his 'stature' ...not the coaching ,administrative or commentator roles.Something that requires adulation but not commitment.

I do hope we are wrong ....and he does end up giving much more that what he is doing.

And I do hope he stays away from further controversies that involve tax evasion,helping business partners go around the system.

I am with the OP on the Bharat Ratna issue. An entertainer has no business getting the Bharat Ratna.

Where I disagree with the OP is that he has been in the public eye for the last 25+ years and needs some time for himself/family. Some other entertainers who have won the Bharat Ratna are : Lata Mangeshkar and M Subbulakshmi. They have arguably as much following as Sachin Tendulkar. Do we know of any social initiatives started by them?

He's quit a few years ago. Probably he'd come back in a big way a few years down the line.

He is a human being after all. Keep in mind he started playing competitive cricket at age of 14 and cricket remained integral part of his life till the age of 40 (half his life expectancy). He missed many things we normal Indians enjoyed while growing up. He has been very fortunate to have Anjali as wife. Tendulkar gave more joy than Teressa+Vajpayee+Modi combined. Instead of producing more like Tendulkars, we are asking Tendulkar to produce more. Leave him, he has done everything he could.

Also he retired only '3 years' ago, International cricketers or any employee goes through depression after retirement, they say being fired from a job is akin to death in a family. It has similar psychological impact, my father retired from government job and went though this phase as well. Don't reach to a conclusion so fast.

3 minutes ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

He is a human being after all. Keep in mind he started playing competitive cricket at age of 14 and cricket remained integral part of his life till the age of 40 (half his life expectancy). He missed many things we normal Indians enjoyed while growing up. He has been very fortunate to have Anjali as wife. Tendulkar gave more joy than Teressa+Vajpayee+Modi combined. Instead of producing more like Tendulkars, we are asking Tendulkar to produce more. Leave him, he has done everything he could.

Thats the most retarded post ever.

Has he done anybody a favor by playing till 40 ? Did anybody force him to play cricket.

He played because he wanted to, he made hundreds of millions of dollars in the bargain. ( nothing wrong, he earned it ).

But you are making it sound as if he sacrificed anything for the nation. Thats utter BULL$HIT.

9 minutes ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

1 minute ago, narenpande1 said:

Thats the most retarded post ever.

Has he done anybody a favor by playing till 40 ? Did anybody force him to play cricket.

He played because he wanted to, he made hundreds of millions of dollars in the bargain. ( nothing wrong, he earned it ).

But you are making it sound as if he sacrificed anything for the nation. Thats utter BULL$HIT.

Same can be said for anyone, even soldier dying on border joins army for money. These political leaders also joined politics for gains.

I don't like Indian's tendency to cling on to one individual person. It was Indira in India, Zia in Pakistan. Timid desi people crave strong leaders, Now Modi. Why we expect and over-rely on others? Why not be individualistic like Americans? Indians can be easily mislead by pseudo patriots like Amir Khan and Amitabh.

1 minute ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

Same can be said for anyone, even soldier dying on border joins army for money. These political leaders also joined politics for gains.

Dude..you must be the biggest idiot around...comparing a soldier who risks his life everyday, whose family does not know whether they will ever see him alive - you say he has joined army " for money ".

People like you are the reason undeserving jackasses like Tendulkar are raised to the sky in our country.

1 minute ago, Rohit S. Ambani said:

I don't like Indian's tendency to cling on to one individual person. It was Indira in India, Zia in Pakistan. Timid desi people crave strong leaders, Now Modi. Why we expect and over-rely on others? Why not be individualistic like Americans? Indians can be easily mislead by pseudo patriots like Amir Khan and Amitabh.

You are too ignorant and dumb to comment on Americans being individualistic.

America despite being 50 times richer than India on a per capita basis has a much greater culture of philanthropy than India.

Bill Gates has donated A HECK LOT MORE for causes in India than people like Mukesh Ambani.

2 minutes ago, narenpande1 said:

Dude..you must be the biggest idiot around...comparing a soldier who risks his life everyday, whose family does not know whether they will ever see him alive - you say he has joined army " for money ".

People like you are the reason undeserving jackasses like Tendulkar are raised to the sky in our country.

Millions of youth want to join armed forces, unemployment is biggest reason not desh-bhakti.