Who is the most exciting non-established young player in Indian cricket?

Vijy

Who is the most exciting non-established young player in Indian cricket?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. The most exciting player in Indian cricket?

• Kuldeep Yadav
    • Hardik Pandya
    • Risabh Pant
    • Deepak Hooda
    • Other

The criterion here is that: (i) the player should not be a regular in the international teams, (ii) should be less than, or equal to, the age of 23. I have chosen 23 as the age since this is still regarded as quite young for making a debut.

Hardik Pandya has already played for Ind, but yet cannot be said to be established fully, especially in Tests.

When replying, please feel free to indicate who you think is the most promising player by format, and also name your choice of most promising all-format player as well.

5 hours ago, WeStMiDz said:

Exciting young players can quickly fade into the background just as quickly as they rise so it's important no to get too hopeful of them. If this poll was carried out a year earlier a Shreyas Iyer would have topped it or a few years back maybe an Unmukt Chand.   

Shreyas Iyer is still one of them and should have been in the poll too.

6 hours ago, fineleg said:

Pants down, pant will win this vote coz of the mystery factor (not yet seen by many of us esp at intl).

But FIRST let them play A-tours and a season or two of domestics.

how people have not seen him? Everyone saw him U19 wc. He also played IPL for Delhi, so, most of the people have seen him.

On 12/4/2016 at 11:50 PM, rkt.india said:

Shreyas Iyer is still one of them and should have been in the poll too.

There's "Other" for this purpose. Iyer's present season hasn't been "bad", but not great either. Scored a duck today.

But, you are right that he could still be included. I wanted to keep it short.

Edited by Vijy
On 12/5/2016 at 0:38 AM, express bowling said:

It is difficult to compare different types of players.

My picks would be 

Batsman - Rishabh Pant

Fast Bowler - Nathu Singh

Allrounder - Hardik Pandya

Spinner - Kuldeep Yadav

What about in the "keeper" category? I thought maybe Panth would have featured there, and some other batsman in the "batsman" category.

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

What about in the "keeper" category? I thought maybe Panth would have featured there, and some other batsman in the "batsman" category.

I don't have much recollection of Pant's  keeping.  I have seen him bat quite a few times.

All the options i have given....I have watched for quite a few games.

Just now, SUMO said:

Good to see the names on the list. Been a big fan of Bawne (although his form has fallen off completely in the 2nd half) - a veteran of domestic cricket at 23 (nearly 10 yrs of FC experience). Panth and Mukund were along expected lines.

When following the Ranji blog, commentators were quite enthusiastic about Panchal's cover driving.

To me, Hardik Pandya is the guy who's most exciting.  We haven't had a player of his type in decades - if he can even avg 30+ with the bat and about 35 or better with the ball, he will give our team so much balance on away tours and increase our odds of test success.  I'm not saying that he will do that - quite a ways to go for him.  But an effective seam bowling allrounder is a big deal for Test Team India.  

Panth appears promising, and sure we need to replace Dhoni with a young upgrade to perk up our LOI team, but he's not the only promising 'keeper bat coming through the ranks - a season or so ago, everybody was equally pantgasmic about Sanju Samson, and he's still in the mix.  And so is Ishan Kishan.  

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

I don't have much recollection of Pant's  keeping.  I have seen him bat quite a few times.

All the options i have given....I have watched for quite a few games.

I can't think of any excellent keepers who are young either. I wish India could find a "purist" keeper who can average around 40 in FC, and around 35 in Tests. That would be ideal - in Eng, Ben Foakes could potentially play that role.

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

To me, Hardik Pandya is the guy who's most exciting.  We haven't had a player of his type in decades - if he can even avg 30+ with the bat and about 35 or better with the ball, he will give our team so much balance on away tours and increase our odds of test success.  I'm not saying that he will do that - quite a ways to go for him.  But an effective seam bowling allrounder is a big deal for Test Team India.  

Panth appears promising, and sure we need to replace Dhoni with a young upgrade to perk up our LOI team, but he's not the only promising 'keeper bat coming through the ranks - a season or so ago, everybody was equally pantgasmic about Sanju Samson, and he's still in the mix.  And so is Ishan Kishan.  

Samson is quickly fading from the scene, at least for now... a very erratic Ranji season, and disciplinary issues to boot. Also, with Samson, he never really had a true bumper FC season like Pant or Kishan (this season).

Regarding Pandya, what you ask for are high standards - I think only Kapil and Pathan had such records amongst pace bowling allrounders, and the latter because of Zim and Bang. Prabhakar averaged around 37-38 with the ball, and around 32 with the bat.

Edited by Vijy
4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Good to see the names on the list. Been a big fan of Bawne (although his form has fallen off completely in the 2nd half) - a veteran of domestic cricket at 23 (nearly 10 yrs of FC experience). Panth and Mukund were along expected lines.

When following the Ranji blog, commentators were quite enthusiastic about Panchal's cover driving.

yeah vihari and bawne particularly are scoring in bulk season after season but doesnt even get chance in A games suprisingly