Who is the most exciting non-established young player in Indian cricket?

Vijy

Who is the most exciting non-established young player in Indian cricket?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. The most exciting player in Indian cricket?

• Kuldeep Yadav
    • Hardik Pandya
    • Risabh Pant
    • Deepak Hooda
    • Other

1 minute ago, SUMO said:

yeah vihari and bawne particularly are scoring in bulk season after season but doesnt even get chance in A games suprisingly

It's because they have no backers amongst the selectors, because of their unglamorous game.

4 minutes ago, SUMO said:

ganguly on cricinfo match point today said that he sees rahul as ODI keeper 2 years down the line 

Yeah, said the guy who made Dravid keep in ODIs.  

Its an option, but I wouldn't say its a preferred one.   Better to find a young quality keeper who can bat well a la Panth etc. 

Edited by sandeep
4 minutes ago, SUMO said:

panchal could turn out to be our keaton jennings 
mediocre stats but one jackpot season

Panchal has actually been improving continuously. For many seasons, he averaged around high 20s and late 30s. Last season, he scored 665 runs in 8 matches at an avg of 55. Now, everyone knows how he has done this season. Hence, I think that he's finally beginning to find his bearings in FC

Edited by Vijy
2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Yeah, said the guy who made Dravid keep in ODIs.  

Its an option, but I wouldn't say its a preferred one.  

dada has got the knack of identifying talent
he has always picked players on looks not by stats 

2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Panchal has actually been improving continuously. For many seasons, he averaged around high 20s and late 30s. Last season, he scored 665 runs in 8 matches at an avg of 55. Now, everyone knows this season. Hence, I think that he's finally beginning to find his bearings in FC

yeah , hearing many praises for him and his stroke play etc.

Just now, SUMO said:

dada has got the knack of identifying talent
he has always picked players on looks not by stats 

Just because it worked with one Rahul doesn't mean it will work with another. Dravid was a very effective keeper-bat in ODIs - shelled some chances, but averaged around 45 at a time when most keepers were struggling to average even 30; Gilly had 36 then I think.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

Just because it worked with one Rahul doesn't mean it will work with another. Dravid was a very effective keeper-bat in ODIs - shelled some chances, but averaged around 45 at a time when most keepers were struggling to average even 30; Gilly had 36 then I think.

not just about dravid
the way he backed sehwag when he was nothing player in domestics
yuvraj, kaif, nehra, zak, bhajji all not more than just a rookie in domestics that time

btw I think pant or kishan will be our keeper but who knows dada could be right also

1 minute ago, SUMO said:

not just about dravid
the way he backed sehwag when he was nothing player in domestics
yuvraj, kaif, nehra, zak, bhajji all not more than just a rookie in domestics that time

btw I think pant or kishan will be our keeper but who knows dada could be right also

Sehwag was not nothing - yes, he didn't have 50+ FC avg, but I'm pretty sure he had around 43-45. Also, Sehwag originally entered through ODIs, where he was seen as a batting allrounder. The real masterstroke was getting him to open, not in selecting him (since his initial selection in ODS was as allrounder, and in Tests as middle order bat).

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Parameters I would check regarding any potential  test batsmen are 

-- Off-stump game

-- How they handle the rising short ball

-- How they play quality spin

Imran khan used to bowl to young talented batsman himself in nets .. 
the one who could play straight drive and pull were picked right away

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Parameters I would check regarding any potential  test batsmen are 

-- Off-stump game

-- How they handle the rising short ball

-- How they play quality spin

Haven't see Panchal on either counts. Based on the short Youtube clips, answer to (iii) seems promising. Based on the interview I read recently, (i) seems to have improved greatly (compared to past). Dunno about (ii).

Based on my criteria specified in the first point, Prashant Chopra ought to be excluded (over 24) but he is having an excellent season. His SR and batting position (opener) is reminiscent a bit of the great Sehwag - if only we could unearth a like-for-like replacement for our buccaneering opener.

Edited by Vijy
1 minute ago, Vijy said:

Sehwag was not nothing - yes, he didn't have 50+ FC avg, but I'm pretty sure he had around 43-45. Also, Sehwag originally entered through ODIs, where he was seen as a batting allrounder. The real masterstroke was getting him to open, not in selecting him (since his initial selection in ODS was as allrounder, and in Tests as middle order bat).

he was being sent to hong kong sixes cricket and dada picked him for next test series 
also I  remember viru had about 20-25 failure in odis his initial career averaging around 23 or so

then he made him open with him against NZ and that epic 69 ball hundred happened, he never looked back thereafter

57 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Based on my criteria specified in the first point, Prashant Chopra ought to be excluded (over 24) but he is having an excellent season. His SR and batting position (opener) is reminiscent a bit of the great Sehwag - if only we could unearth a like-for-like replacement for our buccaneering opener.

Hard to find like-for-like for Sehwag - he was truly one of a kind.  Never seen any test opener bat like that - and succeed, like him.  Ever.  

Dude was just wired differently, just filtered out the fear, apprehension, self-doubt etc at the moment of delivery.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Hard to find like-for-like for Sehwag - he was truly one of a kind.  Never seen any test opener bat like that - and succeed, like him.  Ever.  

Dude was just wired differently, just filtered out the fear, apprehension, self-doubt etc at the moment of delivery.  

I'm not saying that we need to someone exacltly like him. But finding an opener who can avg 45+ at an SR of 60+ itself seems very difficult at the moment. Monk is very inconsistent, and I'm not a fan of Rahul' batting yet (maybe he'll improve later). I think that Chopra should be sent on some A tours now, along with Panchal and Mukund.