Areas where Kohli is better than Tendulkar as a player.

narenpande1

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

It is more important to finish one's career with a high average as well as high impact. Number of matches have never been that important if over a certain acceptable number.

Bradman, Sobers and Richards have played 52, 93  and 121 tests respectively.

I would rather have Kohli retire at 36  averaging 55+  than at 40 averaging 50.  IMHO, it is best for the team to use batsmen in their peak 12 to 15 years 

yeah I was also trying to make the same point 
high impact over long period of time
people who havent watched sachin in 1993-2002 era think that he was no impact just stats player 
he is rated with don viv and lara as best ever
wisdon named him 2nd best batsman after don in 2002 before he reached even 10K runs was that just because of stats no impact ?

as far as stats are concerned 177 test ,14692 runs, 57 avg, 51 hundreds 
so kohli will have to do the same to be compared and would require at least 170 test if not 200

even sir viv overstayed and messed his stats ( avg dropping to 50 from 53+ in the span of last 23 tests) 

9 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He had likes Siddhu, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman, Azhar, Kumble, Srinath in this team. Was that a weak team?

That's just one decent fast bowler  and he was injured a lot of the time during his captaincy i think
Well you know about Azhar :) God knows how many matches he had fixed
Sidhu was mediocre outside India. Lax was just starting to find his feet

Yes it was a weak team compared to the team Dhoni / Virat have

30 minutes ago, SUMO said:

yeah I was also trying to make the same point 
high impact over long period of time
people who havent watched sachin in 1993-2002 era think that he was no impact just stats player 
he is rated with don viv and lara as best ever
wisdon named him 2nd best batsman after don in 2002 before he reached even 10K runs was that just because of stats no impact ?

as far as stats are concerned 177 test ,14692 runs, 57 avg, 51 hundreds 
so kohli will have to do the same to be compared and would require at least 170 test if not 200

even sir viv overstayed and messed his stats ( avg dropping to 50 from 53+ in the span of last 23 tests) 

Tendulkar was a high impact and high average test batsman....don't think there is much doubt about that.  He was equally good against high quality pace, bounce, swing, seam and spin.

Another aspect was the entertainment factor from a good batsman.  Till the '80s, Indian batters, who were proper batsmen with good techniques, were not proficient stroke-players (  barring Azhar  who could not play pace ). Tendulkar was special to us as youngsters because of the entertainment he provided throughout the '90s while maintaining a high average against all kinds of top bowlers. His tennis elbow and bad back robbed the younger generations  of the opportunity to be entertained by his batting in the '00s.

My point was different....even if Kohli finishes his career with 120 or 130 test matches....but averages 55+  or even 53+  and maintains the impact that he has now for a large part of his career....his batting career can still be compared with the batters who have played  160+ tests.

Edited by express bowling
43 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Tendulkar was a high impact and high average test batsman....don't think there is much doubt about that.  He was equally good against high quality pace, bounce, swing, seam and spin.

Another aspect was the entertainment factor from a good batsman.  Till the '80s, Indian batters, who were proper batsmen with good techniques, were not proficient stroke-players (  barring Azhar  who could not play pace ). Tendulkar was special to us as youngsters because of the entertainment he provided throughout the '90s while maintaining a high average against all kinds of top bowlers. His tennis elbow and bad back robbed the younger generations  of the opportunity to be entertained by his batting in the '00s.

My point was different....even if Kohli finishes his career with 120 or 130 test matches....but averages 55+  or even 53+  and maintains the impact that he has now for a large part of his career....his batting career can still be compared with the batters who have played  160+ tests.

I wonder if he can maintain 53+ (55+ seems out of reach).

11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I wonder if he can maintain 53+ (55+ seems out of reach).

Kohli  has started scoring big test 100 s now...last eight 100s have seven scores of  140+ including two 200+.  He will perhaps move on to even bigger knocks with time.

Batters with this tendency end up with high career averages like Sanga.    Flip side includes players like Vijay and Mark Waugh....who have lower averages compared to their abilities because they usually get out or got out after getting their 100s

Edited by express bowling
11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Kohli  has started scoring big test 100 s now...last eight 100s have seven scores of  140+ including two 200+.  He will perhaps move on to even bigger knocks with time.

Batters with this tendency end up with high career averages like Sanga.    Flip side includes players like Vijay and Mark Waugh....who have lower averages compared to their abilities because they usually get out or got out after getting their 100s

Yes, I hope he will move on to even bigger 100s.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

agree like sanga to ponting/dravid

Just now, SUMO said:

I see him only one to score 300 after sehwag
and many more 200s

Scoring 300 is not easy with only 5 pure batsmen, of which some are out of form. Sehwag had one of the all-time great lineups, and could be secure knowing that someone like Dhoni came it at 7 in Indian conditions. His rate of scoring was also much higher than Kohli.

Not saying that it's impossible, but it will be hard - first Kohli needs to score >250.

6 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Scoring 300 is not easy with only 5 pure batsmen, of which some are out of form. Sehwag had one of the all-time great lineups, and could be secure knowing that someone like Dhoni came it at 7 in Indian conditions. His rate of scoring was also much higher than Kohli.

Not saying that it's impossible, but it will be hard - first Kohli needs to score >250.

may be on some fine day, flat pitch against SL Zim bang WI bowling  
he starts playing like odi , 300 in 4 sessions

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Well, he has already played against SL and WI. Zim would be a good option, but I don't know if we'll ever play them.

kind of pitches SL and NZ played in zim its quite possible 
even lower orders were getting 100s