Areas where Kohli is better than Tendulkar as a player.

narenpande1

16 minutes ago, _ramkumar said:

For me this is the greatest inning ever played chasing..... Tendulkar almost single-handedly won the match chasing 350.

Don't tell me that a 36 and a half year old Sachin couldn't raise his game under pressure and isn't FIT enough to play 50 overs after fielding.

Down to earth attitude of Sachin is superior to * all attitude.

That inning could have been the greatest innings ever played had we won the match.:Cry:

I loved the TOI headline the next day - "Kitney Aadmi the?  Ek"

And this game wasn't the only time he almost took us all the way.  That Chennai test match where he batted with a back brace, and scored a 4th innings 100 only to fall with the team 20-odd runs short with 4 wickets in hand, and watch his team fold.  

Just now, sandeep said:

And this game wasn't the only time he almost took us all the way.  That Chennai test match where he batted with a back brace, and scored a 4th innings 100 only to fall with the team 20-odd runs short with 4 wickets in hand, and watch his team fold.  

or that rawalpindi odi in 2004. That was a heartbreaker as well

22 minutes ago, sandeep said:

And everyone's allowed their personal favorites.  No need to force a "God" down someone's throat.  I have no qualms accepting that Tendy for all his quality, didn't always get the job done under pressure.   I will however dispute it if its claimed that he was a choker, or "not a matchwinner" or some other crap like that.  

Definitely.....a choker cannot score 15000+ test runs and 18000+ ODI runs.   

Tendulkar won a lot of  matches for us too...but there have been some batters who have won a higher % of matches for their teams despite having much less batting ability than the little master.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

The Chennai 136 is, as you said, another example.

I don't know if any sports person ever had to face the same kind of pressure (out of expectation) Tendulkar had in the 90's.

Technical perfection I don't think kohli is anywhere near Tendulkar. One just have to watch kohli in last England series to understand that.

I don't think the best spinner now is even half as good as warne and murali. how many fast bowlers now playing can be compared to the likes of donald akram macgrath ambrose akthar waqar bret lee gillespie ...

If kohli continues with this form for 8 to 10 more years and perform everywhere against every opposition he can be considered to be comparable to Tendulkar. 

As of now kohli is a good mountaineer and tendulkar is the mountain.

I  wonder why people talking about Tendulkar only speak of how great he was in 1990s as if he never played after it. They keep on bringing his twin chennai hundreds in 1998/1999.He  played 13 years aand over 100 tests after those  tests .He played with one of the strongest batting lineups ever assembled in history of cricket and yet he along with all those batting stalwarts never handled the pressure like say Australian line up did with players with similar stats.

No one in world can deny the greatness of Tendulkar but he never was the  match winner his batting talents demanded.I always believe that he never got to learn to score  big double hundreds or triple hundreds  which is must to be a big match winner. Tendulkar had so much talent  which I don't think we have seen in anyone in since Bradman or Sobers.

He was a consistent performer ,ultimately his longevity is his biggest legacy.Not only him but whole Indian batting lineup with those megastars and Dhoni could have done lot more than they delivered especially overseas.

Kohli does not have technical skills of Sachin but he sure makes it up with his fiesty and never say die attitude.I personally would take Kohli over Sachin every time.

Edited by putrevus
5 hours ago, narenpande1 said:

Kohli has already surpassed Tendy on the " resassurance and reliability " factor in ODI.

But has a long way to go in tests..............

Only in the 2nd Innings. Sachin is by far the better in the first. In the end you are using the same tried, tested (and failed) tactics some trolls used when Sachin was compared to everyone else. You use the points which are weak for Sachin but strong for Kohli. You ignore the 100s of points where both are equal or Sachin was better

I remember the heydays of Sachin. In the 90s. When he broke records after records and looked unbeatable. He started being compared with the previous greats of India and slowly overtook all of them. It was only when he lost form that people started looking at his weaknesses, etc

I see the same happening with Kohli. HE is in the form of his life and earning millions of fans. But when he loses his form people like OP would be the first ones to fall on him too, like a pack of vultures, analyzing why he fails, his every weakness, etc, etc

13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I  wonder why people talking about Tendulkar only speak of how great he was in 1990s as if he never played after it. They keep on bringing his twin chennai hundreds in 1998/1999.He  played 13 years aand over 100 tests after those  tests .He played with one of the strongest batting lineups ever assembled in history of cricket and yet he along with all those batting stalwarts never handled the pressure like say Australian line up did with players with similar stats.

No one in world can deny the greatness of Tendulkar but he never was the  match winner his batting talents demanded.I always believe that he never got to learn to score  big double hundreds or triple hundreds  which is must to be a big match winner. Tendulkar had so much talent  which I don't think we have seen in anyone in since Bradman or Sobers.

He was a consistent performer ,ultimately his longevity is his biggest legacy.Not only him but whole Indian batting lineup with those megastars and Dhoni could have done lot more than they delivered especially overseas.

Kohli does not have technical skills of Sachin but he sure makes it up with his fiesty and never say die attitude.I personally would take Kohli over Sachin every time.

Er, the first and only series win India even had in Australia was in 2008 where Sachin scored a 100 and 90 in both the fnals. The reason no one hypes these is because till then making 100 was a known thing for Sachin and not a big news

Similarly, if any other player had scored an unbeaten 100 in the biggest chase in India (387) (even Dravid or Laxman) he would have been hyped to the moon. But with Sachin it was - so what?

Sachin was a victim of his own hype and had reached that level. Soon Kohli will reach such a level too

Only people with short term memory or ehsaan faramosh people forget the 100s of games Sachin won just because we are winning some more at home now. What exactly HAS Kohli done which Sachin has not? Anyone who has ever watched cricket will not talk as if Longetivity is his only achievement. Only those with short term memory or Pakistanis do this. Sachin used to win us ODIs for fun too and tests at home so you do not even know what you are talking about. You talk about big scores but Kohli doesn't have one in tests ever. India wins till sachin is there was a cliche for a reason. Only once he lost form did we start to lose too

If any other player has scored in our only ODI series win in ODIs in Aus or top scored an unbeaten 100 in the highest chase ever, he would be called the greatest ever. But because its Sachin, its not a big deal. I have to laugh at such people. You talk about fiesty and never say die but both of these were proof of that

Edited by New guy

kohli has long long way to go to be even worth comparing to tendulkar
tendu has done all this against better attacks what kohli is doing now

he will have to play atleast 170 test matches to leave a legacy something like tendulkar
and maintain his form till the age of 38 without major slump in form and injury ... yeah he started test cricket a bit late :(

considering all this just 1 bumper year looks miniscule , let him reach 10000 first 

Er, the first and only series win India even had in Australia was in 2008 where Sachin scored a 100 and 90 in both the fnals. The reason no one hypes these is because till then making 100 was a known thing for Sachin and not a big news

Similarly, if any other player had scored an unbeaten 100 in the biggest chase in India (387) (even Dravid or Laxman) he would have been hyped to the moon. But with Sachin it was - so what?

Sachin was a victim of his own hype and had reached that level. Soon Kohli will reach such a level too

Only people with short term memory or ehsaan faramosh people forget the 100s of games Sachin won just because we are winning some more at home now. What exactly HAS Kohli done which Sachin has not? Anyone who has ever watched cricket will not talk as if Longetivity is his only achievement. Only those with short term memory or Pakistanis do this. Sachin used to win us ODIs for fun too and tests at home so you do not even know what you are talking about. You talk about big scores but Kohli doesn't have one in tests ever. India wins till sachin is there was a cliche for a reason. Only once he lost form did we start to lose too

If any other player has scored in our only ODI series win in ODIs in Aus or top scored an unbeaten 100 in the highest chase ever, he would be called the greatest ever. But because its Sachin, its not a big deal. I have to laugh at such people. You talk about fiesty and never say die but both of these were proof of that

I never said Sachin was not a match winner or he was not great. Sachin was Gavaskar and Viv Richards rolled into one that is reason why people had such high expectations. There was nothing he could not do on the field yet if you ask him also he would say he under achieved.

Kohli does not have any way near the abilities of Sachin but he has better ability to absorb pressure.

You are talking about 2008 CB series but forgetting Sachin toured Australia in 91, 99 and 2004. That hundred was his first one against Australia in Australia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, SUMO said:

he will have to play atleast 170 test matches to leave a legacy something like tendulkar

It is more important to finish one's career with a high average as well as high impact. Number of matches have never been that important if over a certain acceptable number.

Bradman, Sobers and Richards have played 52, 93  and 121 tests respectively.

I would rather have Kohli retire at 36  averaging 55+  than at 40 averaging 50.  IMHO, it is best for the team to use batsmen in their peak 12 to 15 years 

Pressure is the one area. Test in West  Indies, Test in SA, Test in Bangalore against Pakistan , Test in zimbabwe all could have been won but we lost. I respect his 136 in chennai as much as Sunil's 96 in Bangalore against Pakistan. But he was not as good as Laxman or Dravid in some of the crunch matches. My favorite pressure innings of Tendu was when he saved the test for India as a 17 year old. As he gained more and more attention his ability under pressure somewhat took a hit especially in Tests. Kohli is devoid of nerves under pressure. He is like Steve Waugh under pressure.

One innings at chennai could have changed all that. India was under pressure. 4th innings. Up against high quality bowilng, arch rivals. A win there would have made that innings one of the greatest innings. In some ways he did the same in one dayer against Australia. In both matches India was within striking distance to win the match. Over the years Laxman, Dravid, Viru churned out some of the great innings in Tests.  Viru 201 at Gall, Laxman more than few (including 281), Dravid .. Even Ganguly played a decisive innings of 98 in Srilanka .Sachin didn't have such innings . Basically sachin in some ways was eclipsed by his own peers.