Is BK a viable test option

MCcricket

Can BK be a second seamer in tests  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will or can BK be effective as a second seamer in all conditions

31 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He is the best bowler we have for overseas conditions.

Overseas conditions are not uniform.

There are many flat or flattish decks too and conditions which do not favour swing......with a bit more or lot more  pace /bounce than India.

Edited by express bowling
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

There are many flat or flattish decks too and conditions which do not favour swing......with a bit more or lot more  pace /bounce than India.

Exactly, and similarly Umesh does not or should be the first choice regardless. And hence the statement above that we need to give more games to Bhuvi who is more accurate bowler. Honestly, as soon as we go overseas, there will automatically be more slots open for fast bowlers, so both of them can play, provided Ishant is bowling horribly to be kept out or Shami is not available for some reason.

10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Edited by rkt.india
9 minutes ago, express bowling said:

england, SA, New Zealand. Most of these places will help his bowling. Consistency is most important when you tour. What ails our bowlers overseas is inconsistent line and length and not skills of swing or seam. In fact, in England, I would be playing two bowlers like BK who can swing the ball and make use of new ball. I would look to bring likes of Sandeep Sharma or Deepak Chahar in the fold when we tour England and one quick bowler in the mold of Shami or anyone else similar.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

england, SA, New Zealand. Most of these places will help his bowling. Consistency is most important when you tour. What ails our bowlers overseas is inconsistent line and length and not skills of swing or seam. In fact, in England, I would be playing two bowlers like BK who can swing the ball and make use of new ball. I would look to bring likes of Sandeep Sharma or Deepak Chahar in the fold when we tour England and one quick bowler in the mold of Shami or anyone else similar.

Chahar has fallen off since debut season. Agree about Sandy for Eng.

4 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Exactly, and similarly Umesh does not or should be the first choice regardless. And hence the statement above that we need to give more games to Bhuvi who is more accurate bowler. Honestly, as soon as we go overseas, there will automatically be more slots open for fast bowlers, so both of them can play, provided Ishant is bowling horribly to be kept out or Shami is not available for some reason.

I want to see new bowlers, with potential to become all-condition seamers,  being tried.  We are always limiting ourselves to Umesh vs Bhuvi and neither are all-condition bowlers.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

I want to see new bowlers, with potential to become all-condition seamers,  being tried.  We are always limited ourselves to Umesh vs Bhuvi and neither are all-condition bowlers.

Yes, but Ind selection of even A squads is very conservative.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I want to see new bowlers, with potential to become all-condition seamers,  being tried.  We are always limited ourselves to Umesh vs Bhuvi and neither are all-condition bowlers.

Yes, we are far away from touring Aus, SAF and NZ for test since we toured all of them in 12 months period 15 months ago. It is weird but these tours will all be lined up together now, so we still have plenty of time to pick some new bowlers. We do play some ODI series overseas and can surely try bowlers like Sangwan, Sandeep etc in ODI's and can slowly try to draft them in test, in particular Sandeep who as mentioned above by RKT, can be a good option overseas.

We have to try these guys as there are too many bowlers out there.

7 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It varies based on the time of the year.  Indians may be given flatter pitches deliberately too. The England Pakistan series did not have much help for swing bowlers barring the odd day.

I will carry 5 fast bowlers and a seamer-all rounder when we go out of Asia and keep my options open based on the conditions and pitch.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Yes, we are far away from touring Aus, SAF and NZ for test since we toured all of them in 12 months period 15 months ago. It is weird but these tours will all be lined up together now, so we still have plenty of time to pick some new bowlers. We do play some ODI series overseas and can surely try bowlers like Sangwan, Sandeep etc in ODI's and can slowly try to draft them in test, in particular Sandeep who as mentioned above by RKT, can be a good option overseas.

We have to try these guys as there are too many bowlers out there.

Sandeep is not an all-condition bowler.  Conventional swing at medium pace is his only weapon.  

I want to try out all-condition pacers like Shami.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

It varies based on the time of the year.  Indians may be given flatter pitches deliberately too. The England Pakistan series did not have much help for swing bowlers barring the odd day.

I will carry 5 fast bowlers and a seamer-all rounder when we go out of Asia and keep my options open based on the conditions and pitch. 

yes, horses for courses but in England, swing bowlers are the way to go. We would have done far better if we had one more BK type bowler in our attack. None of Ishant, shami, Pankaj, Aaron were swing bowlers.

Just now, express bowling said:

Sandeep is not an all-condition bowler.  Conventional swing at medium pace is his only weapon.  

I want to try out all-condition pacers like Shami.

Shami will be there anyways, since he is our no.1 bowler currently. It is the matter of picking other bowlers as no one else has really sealed his place.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

yes, horses for courses but in England, swing bowlers are the way to go. We would have done far better if we had one more BK type bowler in our attack. None of Ishant, shami, Pankaj, Aaron were swing bowlers.

I will play Shami, Bhuvi and Umesh in England....if we don't find a new seamer.   Binny can be the swing bowler all-rounder in England.

Bhuvi and Umesh are swing bowlers and Shami gets swing  too....  so does Binny.

Picking 2 medium pacers would tie our hands if the pitch becomes flatter or the swing goes....like it happened in the Lords test last time.