Personal milestones 'out of our system' - Kohli

vvvslaxman

Very happy to see this team culture setting in our country.   Really wanted to see this happen.

Winning at all costs is the biggest priority now and not personal milestones.   Kohli agreeing to the first match being called off while batting at 49 gave indication of this along with other incidents.

Players are feeding off each other's successes.

Kohli is taking us in the right direction.

Edited by express bowling
2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Very happy to see this team culture setting in our country.   Really wanted to see this happen.

Winning at all costs is the biggest priority now and not personal milestones.

Players are feeding off each other's successes.

Kohli is taking us in the right direction.

I am very happy as a fan to see the test team shaping up so well. But the real test would be overseas on tours to England/SA/Aus. I am hopeful of the team doing much better overseas.

These are the standout excerpts from the above interview ---

"One thing that I really wanted the team to do was express themselves in Test matches and not think about personal performances," he said, when asked what uncertainties he had when taking over the captaincy and when he thought he had nailed them. "Because a lot of the times, you have an hour in the Test match where you can take the game away and you are still not willing to go for it because you are close to your milestone or things like that. These are the things that we have gotten out of our system completely.

The other demand Kohli made of his men was to not be satisfied with winning one Test in a series and sitting on the lead. "That's why we have won five [series] in a row," he said

Just now, Mosher said:

I am very happy as a fan to see the test team shaping up so well. But the real test would be overseas on tours to England/SA/Aus. I am hopeful of the team doing much better overseas.

Absolutely....and for that ,  I think we need to find 1 or 2 more all-conditions pacers ( apart from Shami )  if we want to really dominate.

36 minutes ago, velu said:

We should shut sunny and tracer bullet wala..

Whenever batsmen crosses 90 , they ll get excited and for them scoring a 100 is sort of winning half the game

They need to eliminate this Mumbai school of thinking ,sorry but everyone from Gavaskar to Tendulkar were and still are obsessed with records, for them it feels like records come first and team's result is secondary.

Edited by putrevus
13 minutes ago, putrevus said:

They need to eliminate this Mumbai school of thinking ,sorry but everyone from Gavaskar to Tendulkar were and still obsessed with records, for them it feels like records come first and team's result is secondary.

+1... Sunny's obsession with 100s is well known and I always felt that Mumbai's famous "khadoos mentality" is nothing but selfish batting. Historically Mumbai has won more domestic titles than anyone mostly based on the skewed first innings lead rule. Its changed in the last 10 years with more result oriented pitches.

27 minutes ago, diga said:

. Historically Mumbai has won more domestic titles than anyone mostly based on the skewed first innings lead rule. Its changed in the last 10 years with more result oriented pitches.

Could it also be due to the fact that better coaching and facilities have spread throughout India, with more money in the game?  Agree that Gavasakar, and especially Manjrekar are overly landmark obsessed, but bashing Mumbai cricket as a whole is a bit OTT.

That knock at Adelaide was the most special one which came in a losing cause but showed what Kohli wants to do and achieve in the future, not just as captain but as a batsman too. 

He could easily have played 180ish not out kind of innings, India could have drawn the test and he would have been recognized for his amazing 4th innings unbeaten knock. He didn't do all of that. He actually attacked and scared the hell out of Australia. If he had little more support like how Vijay gave him before in the innings, India could have won and it would have been one of the best Test wins in history. It did not happen but I am fine as that innings hurt Kohli's ego of not able to win the game and he has been absolutely clutch player since then who just ensures he takes it to the opposition every time he steps to bat in Test. That innings albeit in losing cause, is what Indian cricket needed. It was selfless and gutsy knock. 

Kohli is the right test captain which India desperately needed. Such performances ignite the fire among other team mates to perform better, something which every team needs.

34 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

That knock at Adelaide was the most special one which came in a losing cause but showed what Kohli wants to do and achieve in the future, not just as captain but as a batsman too. 

He could easily have played 180ish not out kind of innings, India could have drawn the test and he would have been recognized for his amazing 4th innings unbeaten knock. He didn't do all of that. He actually attacked and scared the hell out of Australia. If he had little more support like how Vijay gave him before in the innings, India could have won and it would have been one of the best Test wins in history. It did not happen but I am fine as that innings hurt Kohli's ego of not able to win the game and he has been absolutely clutch player since then who just ensures he takes it to the opposition every time he steps to bat in Test. That innings albeit in losing cause, is what Indian cricket needed. It was selfless and gutsy knock. 

Kohli is the right test captain which India desperately needed. Such performances ignite the fire among other team mates to perform better, something which every team needs.

+++++++++

Regarding the part I quoted in bold text - if you remember how he got out - it was a pull shot in the air caught on the boundary.  You think that had something to do with how he has cut out shots in the air in tests?  :)

We were very close to winning that Adelaide test - don't forget that Rahane was given out on a howler.   And tailunt threw his wicket away.  And if Saha manages to control his adrenalin after hitting those 2 boundaries - who knows.  But regardless, as you pointed out, not winning Adelaide might turn out to be a blessing in disguise in the longterm anyway.  

For all the "wah-wahs" about Kohli being flexible and valuing his  bowlers, lets also not forget his Himalayan blunder of throwing Karn Sharma a debut at the expense of benching Ashwin on a turner.  And for all its foolishness - maybe that lit that extra bit of fire under Ash as well.   Adelaide may well be the turning point in the story of VK's test team.   Its going to be a fun next few overseas tours! I do wish they were a bit sooner though!! 

9 hours ago, Cricketics said:

My favourite Kohli knock is his 103 against England 4 years ago at Nagpur, where he had a big partnership with Dhoni.

From perspective of the series, we were under huge pressure since England were inevitably winning the series and we had no option but either draw or lose the test. But Kohli's positive attitude made sure we drew the game, played a grinding innings (against his natural style) against Swann and Panesar on a tough pitch. 

14 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Sometimes you have to lose to learn how to win, that loss showed the courage of Kohli the captain who wanted to win at all costs, draw was not an option.It is like what Bobby Simpson told Alan Border during the declaration in 1986 Madras tied test. To win you need to take chances and in process you may lose some games but be rest assured you will win lot of games.Aussies have never looked back since that test.They have this insane  will to win at all costs , for them draw is as good as loss.

Indians and their timid approach came to fore front  during Melbourne test the year before  with rain looming and just 100 odd to win Gavasker batted at snail's pace knowing fully well rain would come after tea.Indian have never won a test series before and after that test. Dhoni did the same in NZ in 2009  , we do not want Indian captains to be timid .

Edited by putrevus
16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Sometimes you have to lose to learn how to win, that loss showed the courage of Kohli the captain who wanted to win at all costs, draw was not an option.It is like what Bobby Simpson told Alan Border during the declaration in 1986 Madras tied test. To win you need to take chances and in process you may lose some games but be rest assured you will win lot of games.Aussies have never looked back since that test.They have this insane  will to win at all costs , for them draw is as good as loss.

Indians and their timid approach came to fore front  during Melbourne test the year before  with rain looming and just 100 odd to win Gavasker batted at snail's pace knowing fully well rain would come after tea.Indian have never won a test series before and after that test. Dhoni did the same in NZ in 2009  , we do not want Indian captains to be timid .

It is good you share old instances as many including me never watched those games live and would hardly know what exactly went through between the days during a test match. I saw them in highlights and won't have figured as much as someone sharing those moments through some anecdotes.

+++++++++

Regarding the part I quoted in bold text - if you remember how he got out - it was a pull shot in the air caught on the boundary.  You think that had something to do with how he has cut out shots in the air in tests?  :)

We were very close to winning that Adelaide test - don't forget that Rahane was given out on a howler.   And tailunt threw his wicket away.  And if Saha manages to control his adrenalin after hitting those 2 boundaries - who knows.  But regardless, as you pointed out, not winning Adelaide might turn out to be a blessing in disguise in the longterm anyway.  

For all the "wah-wahs" about Kohli being flexible and valuing his  bowlers, lets also not forget his Himalayan blunder of throwing Karn Sharma a debut at the expense of benching Ashwin on a turner.  And for all its foolishness - maybe that lit that extra bit of fire under Ash as well.   Adelaide may well be the turning point in the story of VK's test team.   Its going to be a fun next few overseas tours! I do wish they were a bit sooner though!! 

Not a pull shot .He slog swept Lyon and caught on the boundary

8 hours ago, MechEng said:

My favourite Kohli knock is his 103 against England 4 years ago at Nagpur, where he had a big partnership with Dhoni.

From perspective of the series, we were under huge pressure since England were inevitably winning the series and we had no option but either draw or lose the test. But Kohli's positive attitude made sure we drew the game, played a grinding innings (against his natural style) against Swann and Panesar on a tough pitch. 

Same here,many would say Adelaide,joburg,Mumbai etc but for me also that nagpur ton was what  made me and probably Kohli realize that he belongs in this arena.the way he batted out time and tired the bowlers was unexpected of him ,it was an innings played to check his own level i believe