Calling it now - Ashwin will win us a series in South Africa and Australia

Laaloo

18 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

More than Ashwin, I have high hopes from Jadeja. I think he will do and become better away test bowler than Kumble.

Kumble was a horrible bowler away from home, mainky because he lacked patience. He wanted quick results like Indian pitches used to give him.

Jadeja is similar bowler to Kumble who seems to have more patience. He does not turn as big as Ashwin and his accuracy can get us lot of wickets and can put plenty of pressure on the oppositions. The only problem is that we might play just one spinner a lot of times and that would be Ashwin right now. I hope at times we play 3-2 bowling combo and Jadeja can get more games so he can do some damage overseas. 

For us to play Ash and Jaddu, either Pandya has to evolve into a decent enough option as 3rd seamer - a la Stokes or better - or we find a wicketkeeper good enough to bat at #5 - or a combination of Jaddu getting more reliable  with the bat (very possible) and our 3 seamers being fit and quality enough not to need a 4th seam bowling option.  

Pandya as 3rd seamer is really far fetched IMO.  Our best chances as of now to play Ash and Jaddu overseas is Shami, Bhuvi and Ishant/Umesh being superfit and in excellent form.  

4 minutes ago, maniac said:

I honestly don't see Ashwin running through batting line ups in SA and Australia....I think he is one of the best batsmen against swing and pace(yes honestly) in the lineup.... but if he takes 2-3 wickets per innings and plays up to his batting potential,he might win a series with his all round performances.

Yes he might have that odd game where he will perform exceptionally with the ball,but when I see Ash winning series for us on tough tours,I expect him to do that on his all-round capabilities and not on bowling alone(which is an unfair expectation)

Looks like the frog hasn't taught you much yet.  Still quick to write off players, or anoint them pre-maturely.

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

For us to play Ash and Jaddu, either Pandya has to evolve into a decent enough option as 3rd seamer - a la Stokes or better - or we find a wicketkeeper good enough to bat at #5 - or a combination of Jaddu getting more reliable  with the bat (very possible) and our 3 seamers being fit and quality enough not to need a 4th seam bowling option.  

Pandya as 3rd seamer is really far fetched IMO.  Our best chances as of now to play Ash and Jaddu overseas is Shami, Bhuvi and Ishant/Umesh being superfit and in excellent form.  

:hysterical: You gave me all that gyaan and then went ahead and typed that

Edited by maniac
5 minutes ago, laaloo said:

Bhajji won us a test in Druban. Herath won a test for SL in SA.Ajmal also won Pakistani a test but he's a chucker so...

Durban is a spin friendly track.Jaddu did well there too lol

Whole series cant be played in Durban

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Durban is a spin friendly track.Jaddu did well there too lol

Whole series cant be played in Durban

Yeah I know but we have tradionally done well in Cape Town so there's always a chance. I'm not afraid of Dean Elgar or Bavuma. But that Cock blocker might get in the way

6 minutes ago, maniac said:

:hysterical: You gave me all that gyaan and then went ahead and typed that

Did you read the entire post, or just cream your pants half-way?  As you get older, maybe you will develop those control muscles and not blow your load too quick.

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

11 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Very true. The three seamers and 2 spinners can easily work in places like Adelaide. Jadeja-Ashwin will play then and we can play a similar team like we played in this series. May be replacing Jayant with another all rounder or even a bowler like Aaron :)

Just now, Cricketics said:

Very true. The three seamers and 2 spinners can easily work in places like Adelaide. Jadeja-Ashwin will play then and we can play a similar team like we played in this series. May be replacing Jayant with another all rounder or even a Bowler like Aaron :)

Or a quality batting allrounder

6 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Very true. The three seamers and 2 spinners can easily work in places like Adelaide. Jadeja-Ashwin will play then and we can play a similar team like we played in this series. May be replacing Jayant with another all rounder or even a bowler like Aaron :)

Regardless of how this selection question plays out.  Our team will definitely give headaches to our opponents in terms of home-track preparation.  If the track has lot of help for seamers, then we have enough quality to utilize it so that could back-fire.  A track that will turn, is just not an option with the likes of Ash and Jaddu.  Only option is to go with flat roads and out-bat India, and hope that your seamers can still bowl well enough to get the job done.  With the way our batting lineup is coming together, and the 3rd seamer choices improving, even this window of advantage is getting smaller.    

As our team grows in stature, I wouldn't be surprised to see others looking to play and prepare tracks for draws.  

The problem is we might see a very settled South African side , when England played them their team was in turmoil.

When we played SA last two times, we came across the rock of Gibraltar named Kallis who was sole reason why Indians returned empty handed in two consecutive series both in 2011 and 2013.In 2011 he batted with one hand and bad back made two hundreds in cape town to stop Bhajji's rampage. 2013 he filled in for injured Morne Morkel and controlled Indians from running away and second test scored a hundred to snuff any hopes of Indian win.

Hope we find easy going this time around.

When was the last time an off spinner or finger spinner succeed in Australia? Even Murali struggled .

What we can expect from Ashwin in Australia is to hold up one end and pick up odd wickets .Even in 2nd second innings apart from Sydney and Adelaide , can't expect him to play a major role .

Same in South Africa , only Durban .It's up to our seamers to take 20 wickets if we are to seriously win in these conditions .

17 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Yup everything else is done.. 

I have a dream to see India win a test series 3-0 against Pakistan. I have too many Padosi friends and I would love to have this result. I think most Indians would, especially if you live overseas, you want to give some of it to your padosi mates you have made over the years who talk a lot of crap.  

1 hour ago, BeautifulGame said:

When was the last time an off spinner or finger spinner succeed in Australia? Even Murali struggled .

What we can expect from Ashwin in Australia is to hold up one end and pick up odd wickets .Even in 2nd second innings apart from Sydney and Adelaide , can't expect him to play a major role .

Same in South Africa , only Durban .It's up to our seamers to take 20 wickets if we are to seriously win in these conditions .

Yes, it is upto our seamers but spinners can play a major role like how Lyon played against us. We struggled to him. He got 23 wickets in the series.  He is annoff spinner too. Ashwin has already toured Australia now a few times. With all his experience now, he better perform and average under 32 at least.