ICF AMA(Ask me anything) thread- AMA with Laaloo

maniac

Just like on reddit....why not have one for ICF members.

Who want's to go first...let us start with one of the Admins/Mods.

Volunteers can refuse to answer anything that might get too personal or vulgar-obviously the mods are there to delete such posts. Let us try to keep it cricket related as much as possible

anyway who wants to be in the AMA-Starting with the mods @Cricketics @laaloo @radhika @Malcolm Merlyn @Gambit @Trichromatic @rkt.india

@G_B_

Please set up a date with the fans

Edited by maniac

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Ok Guys first ICF AMA with Trichromatic.....Ask him anything......here you go.

@Trichromatic what made you a cricket fan? Did you play the game at any level?

I started watching cricket in 1998. Before that I had read few pieces about cricket in newspaper. First name I came across was Darren Gough in some article in a newspaper after his 5-fer in an ODI in 1997. We had access to DD1 only and at that time we could watch only full ODI matches. Tests were shown only for two hours, 1 hr at start and 1 hr at end.

Since I was young at that time, I didn't have any inclination towards any team. What drawn me towards the game was the battle between bowlers and Indian batsmen especially in ODIs. I didn't understand the details, but it was thrilling to watch the tussle between them. I remember watching a game against West Indies and my first thought was which country is West Indies. Then I remember Sachin getting run out after scoring 140 against Australia in an ODI or Srinath bowling aggressively against SL after India were bowled out for 179 and India still won by 81 runs. Agarkar was MoM in that match.

99 world cup was the time when I was glued to the tv screens. Last over of SF between Aus and SA was most memorable moment back then. Till that time there was just excitement and nothing else. But when I watched Allan Donald bowling against Indian batting line up, I was scared for the first time wondering how you dominate that kind of bowler. He was probably first pacer against whom I saw Indian batsmen to be totally clueless.

Donald v Indian batsmen and then McGrath v Sachin, Shoaib v Indian team. Warne v Indian batsmen these or even Agarkar v other teams at start and death overs - these were the battles which kept drawing me closer to the game. I think one of the reason why interest in game is losing is that we don't have such battles anymore.

Curiosity was the other factor in the love for this game. More I didn't understand, more was the desire to know and follow.

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

who is the guy in your avatar. why did you choose him

Guy is Indian left arm pacer in 70s and 80s Karsan Ghavri. He was first left arm pacer from India to take 100 wickets.

I keep reading about old matches and watch the videos about them whenever I get chance. I don't remember exactly, but probably I was going through some article about him where he contributed in winning a test against Pakistan at home when India were bowled out cheaply in 2nd inning. India won the series and that was our first series win in long time (6-7 years).

11 minutes ago, Trichromatic said:

I started watching cricket in 1998. Before that I had read few pieces about cricket in newspaper. First name I came across was Darren Gough in some article in a newspaper after his 5-fer in an ODI in 1997. We had access to DD1 only and at that time we could watch only full ODI matches. Tests were shown only for two hours, 1 hr at start and 1 hr at end.

Since I was young at that time, I didn't have any inclination towards any team. What drawn me towards the game was the battle between bowlers and Indian batsmen especially in ODIs. I didn't understand the details, but it was thrilling to watch the tussle between them. I remember watching a game against West Indies and my first thought was which country is West Indies. Then I remember Sachin getting run out after scoring 140 against Australia in an ODI or Srinath bowling aggressively against SL after India were bowled out for 179 and India still won by 81 runs. Agarkar was MoM in that match.

99 world cup was the time when I was glued to the tv screens. Last over of SF between Aus and SA was most memorable moment back then. Till that time there was just excitement and nothing else. But when I watched Allan Donald bowling against Indian batting line up, I was scared for the first time wondering how you dominate that kind of bowler. He was probably first pacer against whom I saw Indian batsmen to be totally clueless.

Donald v Indian batsmen and then McGrath v Sachin, Shoaib v Indian team. Warne v Indian batsmen these or even Agarkar v other teams at start and death overs - these were the battles which kept drawing me closer to the game. I think one of the reason why interest in game is losing is that we don't have such battles anymore.

Curiosity was the other factor in the love for this game. More I didn't understand, more was the desire to know and follow.

If you started watching in 1998 then you missed a lot of Donald's peak when he was terrorizing Indian batsman...The Donald on the 1996 tour to South Africa or even the one in the titan cup was scary...even more than the one in 1992-93 tour or the guy who ripped through our line up in his debut. Didn't think he was the same after that semifinal 

anyways great insight and a very good post :nice: 

so next question is was anyone in your family a keen fan based on how much knowledge you have on the game on some of your posts even about games in the past? Also did you play cricket at any level?

32 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

@laaloo 1) Why is your name "laaloo" and not "laloo" ?

2) Can you read/write Gujarati?

1. Because laloo sounds like lallu. In Laaloo, you can stretch the aa as in aaloo :P

2. Yes I can. I learned to read Gujarati again after 'forgetting' it for a while. Now I can read ok. There are some words which gives me trouble and especially when they write the English word in Gujarati. Those are hard to read. I have always had trouble with writing in Gujarati. I can still write but it's not clean and only I can read it lol.