Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa

DesiChap

- Television channel claims to quote from manager Chetan Desai?s report New Delhi: A fresh controversy rocked Indian cricket with a television channel disclosing on Tuesday that coach Greg Chappell and Virender Sehwag were involved in a feud during India?s tour of South Africa. Apart from the heated argument between Chappell and Sehwag, there were also serious differences while selecting the team for the Test matches, according to the channel. The sensational disclosure comes just two days before the one-day series against Sri Lanka gets underway in Calcutta where Sehwag is expected to make a comeback. The channel, quoting team manager Chetan Desai?s confidential report to the BCCI, said the argument between Chappell and Sehwag occurred when the out-of-form opener refused to attend a special practice session on the eve of the Durban Test. When contacted, BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah said the manager?s report was with president Sharad Pawar and he that had no comments to make at this stage. ?I don?t want to say anything on it. The manager?s report is with the president?, he said. ?All I can say is that Sehwag was not dropped because of any disciplinary issue. He was dropped purely on form.? The report said Chappell and expert bio-mechanist Ian Fraser came to the nets but did not find Sehwag there. Later, Sehwag told Chappell that he did want to practice which angered the former Australian captain. Desai?s report also claimed that paceman Munaf Patel was not fully fit to the play in the third Test and held captain Rahul Dravid largely responsible for the defeat in that crucial match in Cape Town. Desai claimed that physio John Gloster hid Munaf?s injury till the last, which allowed him to play in Cape Town. Giving instances of differences during selection meetings, the team manager said in his report that Dravid insisted on having Sehwag in the team despite his poor form. ?In that meeting, after a lot of deliberation, it was finally decided to drop Sehwag. The next day Dravid, during the practice session, suggested that after seeing the wicket he was of the opinion that it would be a spinners? track and he would want to have Sehwag as the next option as a spinner,? he said in his report. ?I objected and told Greg, Dravid and Dilip (Vengsarkar) that if it was a spinners? track, they could have Harbhajan in the team. Greg mentioned that Harbhajan was not bowling well. At this point I said if Harbhajan is not in the team, then why is Sehwag, who is not batting well, in the team. ?Vengsarkar mentioned to Dravid that if Sehwag failed and India lost the match there would be a backlash back home to which Dravid replied that he was prepared for it,? he said. Desai, when contacted, declined to comment, saying he had submitted his report to the BCCI president and the matter was closed as far as he was concerned. In his observations, Desai said the senior Indian players were not as fit as their South African counterparts. ?The support staff, specially the trainer and the physio, need to give a report as far as the fitness and the injury of an individual player was concerned from time to time to the Board?, he said in his report. Desai praised Chappell and said he was doing a ?wonderful job?. ?Chappell is a gentleman to the core but needs extra encouragement from the Board so that he can make independent decisions. Chappell needs to be given a lot of confidence by the Board,? he said. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070207/asp/sports/story_7360734.asp

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa Dravid should have gone with Vengsarkar and sat Sehwag down. Picking Sehwag for his bowling sounds like the sorry reasoning given by Kiran More when he said that Ganguly was selected as an allrounder. Even worse was promoting him as an opener in the 2nd innings.

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa Get over it guys, the arguments happen in every team meeting and it is not wrong at all. Although these players spend a lot of time together there will still be differences at times but as long as the difference is not carried out to the playing ground it is just fine. Everyone has an opinion and the players, the support staff will have their too. As long as it is not like Inzi beating up Younis during WC, Shoaib slapping Woolmer or pushing Woolmer, Warnie calling his coach useless it's ok to have arguments. The maturity of the player and the coach in question shows in the way they have handled the situation while not going public with it. If you reckon 14 players, coach, manager and the support staff sit together and have absolutely no difference then there surely must be something wrong with the team.

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa Very common issue among players. Coaches have to deal with this daily on and off the field. Sehwag maybe a talented player but sadly he struggles with his poor attitude and gets into trouble like this. It is hard to find good old qualities such as honesty, work ethic, forthrightness, integrity, fortitude, and persistence among players. These are qualities which people develop as they grow up. For some extend players develop this from coaching staff. Hopefully Sehwag has learnt his lessons and is raring to go in this series and in WC.

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa More on sehwags stinky attitude ---------------------------------------------------------- The manager, Chetan Desai of the Goa Cricket Association, has cited an example to underline Sehwag's unacceptable behaviour. During the second innings of the Durban Test, when he was scheduled to bat later in the day, he suddenly made a request to coach Greg Chappell and his assistant Ian Frazer: 'I want some batting practice at 6.30 in the morning." Accordingly, he asked Chappell and Frazer to come to the stadium at that time. Chappell and Frazer dutifully reached the venue but there was no sign of Sehwag. Eventually, when Chappell asked him to explain, Sehwag replied, according to the report, 'I didn't feel like coming for practice." Chetan Desai wrote: 'I personally feel this is a very bad attitude towards himself as well as towards the coach." Sources on the tour confirmed the incident. Chappell had complained about Sehwag to senior Board officials on the team's return from South Africa but it is not yet clear if he was referring to this incident alone, or if there was more.

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa oh well chappell is gone after world cup and with this attitude dont see sehwag lasting to long. The problem is even if sehwag flops in the first 2 games he is still going to world cup. After reading this report i have reached one conclusion either Chappell is a very misunderstood person or he is the worst thing to happen to Indian cricket.

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa

oh well chappell is gone after world cup and with this attitude dont see sehwag lasting to long. The problem is even if sehwag flops in the first 2 games he is still going to world cup. After reading this report i have reached one conclusion either Chappell is a very misunderstood person or he is the worst thing to happen to Indian cricket.
So Jf1gp are you saying Chappell is the reason for Sehwag's attitude problems?

Re: Chappell, Sehwag had a row in South Africa All i am saying is, Chappell is made the villain everytime some negative report comes from teams locker room. First the whole ganguly episode, if you think about it all chappell did was say what everyone was thinking but he was made the villain. Then incident involving yuvraj and now sehwag. He was never given any credit for our ODI success, win at WI or even the first test win at SA but first to be blamed for all loses. This whole argument that he is only after money, i say whats wrong. Look at Sachin and saurav both are already super rich yet you keep hearing about the deals they are signing. India players get complacent noone can deny that. Chappell is trying to get players out of that mentality so whats wrong. On the other hand maybe he has some hidden agenda like destroying Indian team so that they cannot replace aussies as no1 or he was hired on the condition that he will remove ganguly so that powar could become president and dalmiya is out. Maybe he wants to make enough money to buy his own country.

All i am saying is, Chappell is made the villain everytime some negative report comes from teams locker room. First the whole ganguly episode, if you think about it all chappell did was say what everyone was thinking but he was made the villain. Then incident involving yuvraj and now sehwag. He was never given any credit for our ODI success, win at WI or even the first test win at SA but first to be blamed for all loses. This whole argument that he is only after money, i say whats wrong. Look at Sachin and saurav both are already super rich yet you keep hearing about the deals they are signing. India players get complacent noone can deny that. Chappell is trying to get players out of that mentality so whats wrong. On the other hand maybe he has some hidden agenda like destroying Indian team so that they cannot replace aussies as no1 or he was hired on the condition that he will remove ganguly so that powar could become president and dalmiya is out. Maybe he wants to make enough money to buy his own country.
jf1gp, Greg Chappell is an excellent coach, very knowledgble and one of the best Indian team can get. Any player who has interacted with him will agree on his knowledge of cricket especially batting even Gangully agrees to it. Only thing about Chappel is he is little outspoken sometimes and run into problems. Also the way he put things are sometimes read in wrong angles and takes a turn for worse. As a coach he sets high standards and always raises the bar. Players sometimes get frustrated when they cannot reach it but he wants them to atleast try. Whoever succeeds are going to make it big internationally. I think the whole episode of Gangully-Chappell was blown out of proportion by some people in the board and press. With a capable administration in place, the whole thing would have been portrayed in a different way. Rahul Dravid is a born leader with good qualitites and it is obvious that Chappell supports him as captian than anyone else. Bottomline is India can take a ride if players are ready to accept the changes and progressive measure that Chappell introduces if they resist and look through conspiracy tones and doubtful eyes then its gonna fail!

During the second innings of the Durban Test, when he was scheduled to bat later in the day, he suddenly made a request to coach Greg Chappell and his assistant Ian Frazer: 'I want some batting practice at 6.30 in the morning." Accordingly, he asked Chappell and Frazer to come to the stadium at that time. Chappell and Frazer dutifully reached the venue but there was no sign of Sehwag. Eventually, when Chappell asked him to explain, Sehwag replied, according to the report, 'I didn't feel like coming for practice."
Can someone explain to me what exactly is wrong with this ? He didn't feel like going to a practice session which he HIMSELF scheduled. How the hell does that equate to a bad attitude ? For all we armchair mongs know, he might not have been feeling well. All this fuss over practically nothing.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is wrong with this ? He didn't feel like going to a practice session which he HIMSELF scheduled. How the hell does that equate to a bad attitude ? For all we armchair mongs know, he might not have been feeling well. All this fuss over practically nothing.
Predator, Apparently this was reported in cricinfo blog in Dec 2006 but looks like the media failed to notice it: Sehwag at the crossroads : http://blogs.cricinfo.com/cricinfoselect/archives/2006/12/sehwag_at_the_crossroads.php "The case against Sehwag is of indiscipline, his defence is a deep-rooted sense of hurt and a bruised ego. Falling between the two are missed runs for the player and missed opportunities for his team. On the face of it this is a slap on the wrist for Sehwag. Rumours about an attitude problem - specifically that he did not stick to dietary and training prescriptions when away from the side - have been doing the rounds for a while. Indeed, his falling out with his coach Greg Chappell dates back to the latter's early days, and the sacking of Ganguly - whom Sehwag was relatively close to - as India captain. The problems simmered and, in the months since, Sehwag has developed a reputation, among certain sections of the team at least, as being way too detached from the rest. He was perceived as lacking ambition - being satisfied with one big knock - and perhaps content with what he'd achieved so far. Given his prodigious talent, it was felt he wasn't pulling his weight . That, too, became an issue, along with his fitness."

During the second innings of the Durban Test, when he was scheduled to bat later in the day, he suddenly made a request to coach Greg Chappell and his assistant Ian Frazer: 'I want some batting practice at 6.30 in the morning." Accordingly, he asked Chappell and Frazer to come to the stadium at that time. Chappell and Frazer dutifully reached the venue but there was no sign of Sehwag. Eventually, when Chappell asked him to explain, Sehwag replied, according to the report, 'I didn't feel like coming for practice."
Well if you turned up at 6.30 am to meet someone and then that person could not be bothered to turn up. We will see how you feel. Me i would be furious and would feel that persons attitude stinks. His fatness and cr#p scores for over a year are also testimony to his attitude. DROP HIM

Well if you turned up at 6.30 am to meet someone and then that person could not be bothered to turn up. We will see how you feel. Me i would be furious and would feel that persons attitude stinks. His fatness and cr#p scores for over a year are also testimony to his attitude. DROP HIM
but what about dada ? all sehwag was trying to do is avenge what chappell did to saurav nothing wrong with that.