Why do players like Ashwin or Laxman hardly get any brand endorsements compared to Kohli and earlier Sachin?

1 hour ago, Soorma_Bhopali said:

Although Ashwin has been made ICC player of the year and ICC  Test cricketer of the year , why is his brand appeal still zero compared to a Kohli or even Jadeja..Are the companies biased towards a batsman or someone with skills plus showman qualities

Batsmen bring the most joy to people and increase the TV ratings of sports channels. Fans are crazy about 50s,100s hit by batsmen more than 4fers or 5fers taken by a bowlers. 

Unless you have a extremely special talent in your bowling like how Shoaib Akhtar was by being the fastest and Brett Lee too, it is hard for a bowler to get as much publicity. 

It is rightfully a batsman's game.

38 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

It is rightfully a batsman's game.

Disagree about "rightfully".   This perception is why India has not found too many champion bowlers.  Every kid always wants to bat, bowling is too much physical "work" vs disproportionate low reward.  

IPL is fixing the reward bit though...

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Disagree about "rightfully".   This perception is why India has not found too many champion bowlers.  Every kid always wants to bat, bowling is too much physical "work" vs disproportionate low reward.  

IPL is fixing the reward bit though...

Rightfully as in the mind of the people, media and fans.

I would love for it to be opposite or even but it is not as the game has become about fours and sixes.

You are right about work ethic etc but stil the game is about fours and sixes. It is not like baseball where strikes are cheered.

I have special love for bowlers as I am a bowler myself but I do not see bowlers being the heart beat of the game. Fours and sixes brings the crowd, always used to and always will. Hence the popularity of twenty20 and hence the popularity of the leagues like IPL and BBL. 

2 hours ago, Soorma_Bhopali said:

Although Ashwin has been made ICC player of the year and ICC  Test cricketer of the year , why is his brand appeal still zero compared to a Kohli or even Jadeja..Are the companies biased towards a batsman or someone with skills plus showman qualities

Btw, to answer your question I do feel that major companies in India do tend to offer bigger contracts etc to people from mostly North or Western cities or more Hindi speaking players. This is not because they are racist but just that people from such places are naturally good at speaking fluent Hindi, which along with English is the most popular language in India.

Hindi speaking players naturally appeal the Indian crowd and tv audience in most of India.

Also big TV channels like Star Sports etc are Hindi/English channels so they naturally pick players like Kohli etc for advertisements since he is fluent in Hindi or in the past Tendulkar who is Marathi but pretty fluent in Hindi. 

its the odi performances which decide the mass fanbase of a player in India. Anyday, Yuvraj was a bigger superstar in Andhra Pradesh than VVS Laxman and Sourav Ganguly bigger than Rahul Dravid in Karnataka. Because of ODI heroics. Test heroics are like winning the Palm d'Or for intellectual movies - it gives you ultimate glory in elite circles but its the ODI heroics which are equivalent to Blockbuster movies - which the layman understands.

Sachin's fanatical fanbase is not because of 51 Test centuries, its mainly because of the 49 ODI centuries.

Edited by Temujin Khaghan
13 minutes ago, kosingh said:

I suppose "cool" factor matters. 

Rahul is trying desperately to break out of the typical South Indian cricketer persona, but just can't pull of a Kohli or Yuvraj.

I think Temujin nailed with regarding ODIs vs Tests, take that southie nerd chip off of your shoulder.   That too  with a name like "Kosingh".