Why do players like Ashwin or Laxman hardly get any brand endorsements compared to Kohli and earlier Sachin?

11 minutes ago, Sajid_Rana said:

Because they are home bullies. Hardly performs away from home.

But they still get more from BCCI to compensate for lack of ads....not like Afridi who might get paid in goats and maybe a premium camel milk(not the cigarette brand) for his boom boom bubble gum ads

Edited by maniac
12 hours ago, sandeep said:

Disagree about "rightfully".   This perception is why India has not found too many champion bowlers.  Every kid always wants to bat, bowling is too much physical "work" vs disproportionate low reward.  

IPL is fixing the reward bit though...

Freudian slip or intended pun?

Brand marketing and popularity comes with performances and marketability, looks count a bit also the profile, Virat is not pretty but he is OK, has a actress for a gf, Hobnobs with the who's who so has a film star like marketability n in India that counts.

See Yuvi he was a decent ODi player but not a great test player but he was popular n presentable, now if Ashwin advertises a high end brand it won't have the same effect as Virat or Yuvi, perception, advertisers want most bang for bucks.

if sanath jayasurya was an Indian player and played for India, he would have been 2nd only to sachin tendulkar as far as earnings are concerned. Infact i dare say, an Indian Sanath jayasurya would have probably earned more than sachin for a few years when he enjoyed unparalleled awe and fear from the bowlers and fans worldwide. An Indian Sanath would have earned far more money than the "very presentable" but less dangerous Yuvraj Singh.

Looks dont matter in sports... Looks are only a bonus not a necessity... the biggest chunk of cricket fans are teenage boys and wtf would they care for their heroes' looks?

according to the logic of some ICF'ers here an Indian Ahmed Shehzad would have earned more money than an Indian Hashim Amla... tsk tsk tsk..

please dont say that ashwin cannot earn much because he doesnt look good.

is sehwag a handsome hunk? he has a bald patch the size of eden gardens behind his head even before he reached 30. Infact his massive income increased after the bald patch kept getting bigger and bigger. Because during the same time he spanked bowlers worldwide to all parts of the ground in all grounds. He went on to build an international school with his earnings..

or is sachin a more stylish looking/ desirable man with huge female fan following than rahul dravid...? its all about their performances in ODIs

dont keep pushing your southies vs northies agenda here... look some place else.

2 minutes ago, Temujin Khaghan said:

if sanath jayasurya was an Indian player and played for India, he would have been 2nd only to sachin tendulkar as far as earnings are concerned. Infact i dare say, an Indian Sanath jayasurya would have probably earned more than sachin for a few years when he enjoyed unparalleled awe and fear from the bowlers and fans worldwide. An Indian Sanath would have earned far more money than the "very presentable" but less dangerous Yuvraj Singh.

Looks dont matter in sports... Looks are only a bonus not a necessity... the biggest chunk of cricket fans are teenage boys and wtf would they care for their heroes' looks?

according to the logic of some ICF'ers here an Indian Ahmed Shehzad would have earned more money than an Indian Hashim Amla... tsk tsk tsk..

please dont say that ashwin cannot earn much because he doesnt look good.

is sehwag a handsome hunk? he has a bald patch the size of eden gardens behind his head even before he reached 30. Infact his massive income increased after the bald patch kept getting bigger and bigger. Because during the same time he spanked bowlers worldwide to all parts of the ground in all grounds. He went on to build an international school with his earnings..

or is sachin a more stylish looking/ desirable man with huge female fan following than rahul dravid...? its all about their performances in ODIs

dont keep pushing your southies vs northies agenda here... look some place else.

Read your post full, and as much as I agree, I still can't figure out why you feel they don't get paid enough.

You sort of favored both sides.

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Read your post full, and as much as I agree, I still can't figure out why you feel they don't get paid enough.

You sort of favored both sides.

common public dont watch Test cricket, they dont have a zilch of an idea what a cricketing monarch ashwin is...

I dont know how many bottom 80% Indians you interact with on a daily basis but, Rohit Sharma is the far bigger superstar than Ashwin according to the 80% cricket watching Indian public. thats a fact!!! Ask any 8 year old cricket fan in India, they will tell you that Rohit Sharma is ony second to Kohli in talent and popularity.

for the simple reason that they see Rohit slaying a quickfire half century in some mickey mouse ODI tournament more often than they watch Ashwin ace yet another 5 wicket haul in a test match. Infact they watch Ashwin take a 3/55 and score a 10 (20) in ODI cricket.

---

I dont like to mix cricket with movies but...

how many Indian people know Vishal Bharadwaj? How many people in India know why Sanjay Leela Bhansali is not fit enough to even clean Bharadwaj's shoes? Its just a factor of visibility and awareness among the common public (not elite).

Just now, Temujin Khaghan said:

common public dont watch Test cricket, they dont have a zilch of an idea what a cricketing monarch ashwin is...

I dont know how many bottom 80% Indians you interact with on a daily basis but, Rohit Sharma is the far bigger superstar than Ashwin according to the 80% cricket watching Indian public. thats a fact!!! Ask any 8 year old cricket fan in India, they will tell you that Rohit Sharma is ony second to Kohli in talent and popularity.

for the simple reason that they see Rohit slaying a quickfire half century in some mickey mouse ODI tournament more often than they watch Ashwin ace yet another 5 wicket haul in a test match. Infact they watch Ashwin take a 3/55 and score a 10 (20) in ODI cricket.

---

I dont like to mix cricket with movies but...

how many Indian people know Vishal Bharadwaj? How many people in India know why Sanjay Leela Bhansali is not fit enough to even clean Bharadwaj's shoes? Its just a factor of visibility and awareness among the common public (not elite).

Agree and that is a given. Just the stadium turn out in twenty20, odi's gives a clear indication that limited over cricket is the one which brings people to Cricket and brings the country together.

Even a top brand like Kohli can score 300 in Australia and lead us to a test series victory over there, but he will be still remembered more for his ODI' exploits by Indian Janta. It is just that LOI game is more suited for the modern world.

Many remember our Natwest Trophy final. I wonder how many remember one of the best test victories from Perth 2007.

LOI is the KING and you perfrom in that, you will be hailed.

and Rohit Sharma isnt exactly a looker like kohli either... He is fat and he is already bald (both male pattern and eden gardens behind his head). I dont think he is 30 yet.

If the same Rohit Sharma is a Pujara kind of a test cricket thoroughbred and Pujara is a Rohit Sharma kind of a ODI success, then trust me their incomes would have been in the reverse order...

Isnt Pujara a good looking guy? He is like the poorest among Indian cricket players now. I will be surprised if his net worth is more than 20C now. I will also be surprised if Rohit's networth is anything below 100C at this point of time.

its all about their performances in limited overs cricket. nothing to do about looks.

If Sanju Samson clicks and scores massively in IPL and ODI, he will be driving a imported sports car within 1 year.

1 minute ago, sarchasm said:

Dravid was second only to Sachin during his playing years when it came to brand endorsement.

Dravid did brand endorsements during his peak because he was also a decent ODI player, but not more than ganguly

it was always Sachin > Ganguly > Dravid

Ganguly's networth $55.5 M

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/cricketer/sourav-ganguly-net-worth/

Dravid's networth $22.6M

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/cricketer/rahul-dravid-net-worth/

Some of Ganguly's networth is inherited, but he was not the only child to his parents and the inheritance is divided. Still comfortably, one can say that Ganguly earned a lot more than Dravid in endorsements.

20 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Dravid definitely didn't have a bigger fan base than Ganguly

Ganguly at one stage of his career had even rivalled Sachin in terms of popularity .

Dravid was way behind Ganguly in that regard

when ganguly was dropped from the team, there was a massive public backlash in kolkota and various parts of India

I used to live in chennai that time, and lot of tamil people felt it was outrageous that BCCI, dravid and chappell are trying to kill dada's career

there was a massive negative feeling about dravid... if ICF'ers remember those times

dravid's and chappell's effigy was burned at many places in India

but now when people are saying that dravid's fan following is bigger than dada's ... its funny actually.

Edited by Temujin Khaghan

Actually Sarchasm is right. Dravid had more Market Value in those days compared to Ganguly. Ganguly had following amongst hardcore cricket lovers who loved his aggression and everything, whereas Dravid was more marketable face among the Indian junta because of his looks mostly. 

Also, looks and fitness are still considered a requirement for most of the brand endorsement. Market value is not based on hardcore cricket lovers opinion that we see on ICF. It is mostly to cater the whole of India which do not follow Cricket with all nitty gritties like we do.

Actually Sarchasm is right. Dravid had more Market Value in those days compared to Ganguly. Ganguly had following amongst hardcore cricket lovers who loved his aggression and everything, whereas Dravid was more marketable face among the Indian junta because of his looks mostly. 

Also, looks and fitness are still considered a requirement for most of the brand endorsement. Market value is not based on hardcore cricket lovers opinion that we see on ICF. It is mostly to cater the whole of India which do not follow Cricket with all nitty gritties like we do.

Definitely not.If anything it was inverse .

Ganguly was far more popular among general cricket fans and Dravid among hardcore fans who follow test cricket .

It is natural as well considering how much a cricketer's brand is build on ODI cricket .Ganguly around 2001 was arguably the best ODI batsman in international cricket whereas Dravid never ever came to such level of performance in Odis .

28 minutes ago, 0zero said:

wrong ... Dravid is more popular than Ganguly, Dhoni here...

I never saw a single thread cursing dravid at ICF since 2007 when i joined.

Ganguly is more popular with general ODI fans and the common public.

infact "fans mania" is a word which can be associated with only 3 people in recent Indian cricket history - Sachin, dada and dhoni... only recently virat seems to be heading that way. All of them are ATG limited overs cricketers irrespective of their Test achievements.

Kumble, Ashwin, Dravid all have great achievements in test cricket but there is never any huge fan following for them. because they were only decent in ODIs and never had clutch ability or winning ODIs singlehandedly.

Edited by Temujin Khaghan
21 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

I think I saw completely different scenarios while growing up. Best ODI batsman or Best Test Batsman was not that important among top 3-4 players of our team during those day. Sachin and Dravid was all I saw on TVs & ADs and had a great young crowd following in western part of India with mostly female fans who were crazy for a long period until he got married. 

Ganguly on the other hand had following among Cricket lovers like me who would be interested in Cricket rather than other extra curricular stuff.

May be it was different in different places, but this is what I saw while 2000s

Edited by 0zero

I think I saw completely different scenarios while growing up. Best ODI batsman or Best Test Batsman was not that important among top 3-4 players of our team during those day. Sachin and Dravid was all I saw on TVs & ADs and had a great young crowd following in western part of India with mostly female fans who were crazy for a long period until he got married. 

Ganguly on the other hand had following among Cricket lovers like me who would be interested in Cricket rather than other extra curricular stuff.

May be it was different in different places, but this is what I saw while growing up.

We definitely saw different scenarios then when growing up lol

Even in school and collage there will be two groups ,Sachin and Ganguly , Dravid will be like a neutral choice :cantstop:

Also even Sachin's brand was completely build on ODI exploits .The 96 world cup and desert knocks in particular.

Let's not forget test cricket wasn't much telecasted in India in 90s and even early 2000s.The rights were with Doordharshan and they only telecasted two hours of test cricket per day (rest in DD 2) .And TV plays the biggest role in popularity among fans .So being how good in ODI cricket had a huge impact even then