Virender sehwag or Younis khan - better over all batsman ?

Younis khan  is yet to sign off. But in his   last  tours to ENG & AUS he  has played brilliantly .But was simply off colour in NZL. So all in all good performance 

in these 3 tours combined despite him being way above 38. So thought of comparing him to Virender Sehwag who were chalk and cheese apart in different batting factors.

Here are some facts .. Younis  has almost 10000 runs. Sehwag only  almost 8600. Younis  leads in over all avg: by almost 4 . that is  53.28 : 49.34.But Sehwag being an  opener means  his avg: is  worth a little more than 49.34 some what around 51-51.5  .So both longevity & avg: combined, Younis a level

above till this point.

Now performance in different countries.Sehwag has sub 30 avg:s in 3 alien  countries ENG,NZL & SAF.All in all Sehwag's avg:s in 5 truly foreign countries for a suncontinent batsman are 20,25.46,27.8,46.86 & 51 in NZL,SAF,ENG,AUS,WI respectively.For Younis these are 23.44,32.6,43,50.62 & 54.4 in WI,SAF,NZL,ENG & AUS respectively.To  add to that Younis could score 100s  in all 5 above said  countries  of which 100s in 3 places are big 100s.On the other hand Sehwag does  not have   a 100 in NZL.More over his 100s in SAF & ENG are just over the line 100s. To add to that Younis has +45 avg:s in

remaining 5 countries.Sehwag though avg:s only 35.2 in BAN, has towering records in other 4 countries that neutralises some what.Yet  Younis's convincingly  better avg:s  in 5 alien countries combined with much more varied  mammoth scores &   also  +45 avg:s in remaining 5 countries  takes him by 2 more levels. So  3 levels up for Younis.

But then there is Sehwag's mammoth 82.23  str: rate for an opener.Even 70 str: rate is higly aggressive & game changing.So 82.23 means taking destruction

to entire different level. Here Sehwag was 2 levels above Younis. 

So all in all in tests Younis a level above Sehwag.

But in one days it is a no context. Sehwag's '35 & 104'  'avg: str:rate' combo is far superior to Younis '31 & 75'. For me  this is atleast  a difference of 3 levels.

So both tests & one dayers combined   Sehwag was easily at least 2 levels above Younis. Your thoughts.

Sehwag.

/thread

Honestly this is like comparing Vic Richards and Dravid .It doesn't really matter what stats say , Viru is on a different level to Younis Khan regardless of the format .The amount of impact they had on their team mates , opposition captain ,bowlers and even the crowd are something way beyond stats.

Put it this way.Who would you pick in your team if u have a choice between prime Viru and Younis Khan?

If anyone seriously picks Younis then they need to watch another sport.

2 minutes ago, kira said:

LMAO is this a joke? Sehwag is in a different league, UAE khan is not fit enough to tie his shoelace

Sehwag would be the majority choice because of his vast superior one day records, i suppose. But in tests it is not a 'joke' as you feel.

Younis has way more balanced records in really foreign countries. 

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

What kind of dumb thread is this?  Sehwag re-defined test match batting as an opener.  Younis khan has good accumulated numbers because he could play at the international level as a senior citizen thanks to the lack of quality batting options for his team.  

i accept that Sehwag ' re-defined test match batting as an opener'. But is his way off performances in 3 of the 5 alien countries  ( saf,eng & nzl)

not a matter of serious flaw in his career stats?  

i accept that Sehwag ' re-defined test match batting as an opener'. But is his way off performances in 3 of the 5 alien countries  ( saf,eng & nzl)

Warne has an awful record in both India and West Indies.Does that make his greatness any worse?

Also does this mean we should consider Swann a better bowler because he has better performances in alien countries ?

12 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

This is what happens when you try to evaluate batsmen solely through incomplete stats.  The numbers such as average, strike rate etc are an approximation of the actual value of batsmen's output.  They need to be viewed and weighed in appropriate context in order to get the complete picture.   This reminds me of a back and forth I had, a few years ago, with a poster who claimed Ajit Agarkar is better than Akram and thew some numbers to back his argument up.  In less than 20 minutes I was able to clone his stats driven argument to show that Andrew Symonds was better than Sachin Tendulkar.  

46 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Warne has an awful record in both India and West Indies.Does that make his greatness any worse?

Also does this mean we should consider Swann a better bowler because he has better performances in alien countries ?

to be frank , i  had  not yet thought about  in the same lines w.r.t bowlers. BUT yet, when it comes to batting,  avg:ing  above 40 ,especially in alien countries for a subcontinental batsman  is of  high value .If Sehwag could avg:  30+  in either any 1  of nzl,eng or saf  , i would certainly have considered him   an ATG batsman because his other records are too huge  to  have compensated for his sub 30 avg:s in just 2 countries.

4 hours ago, Sajid_Rana said:

Sehwag was a master FTB and super flop in SA,Eng, NZ and his average in Aus is misleading due to one innings on flat track against second grade Aussie attack. Younis Khan is in a different league and scored most of his runs away from home unlike FTB sehwag. 

if his stats in AUS is misleading, then UAE Khan's stats in Australia and England are also misleading, as its based off of 1 innings in both countries.

The only difference between Sehwag & Younis is that Sehwag was good overseas (he averaged 40+ everywhere except NZ and RSA till the last couple of years of his career) for most of his career and the last couple of years ruined his overall stats, while Younis has been crap overseas most of his career and a couple of good innings in the last couple of years improved his stats.

59 minutes ago, Sandeep99 said:

This thread better be a joke. UAE Khan may be the best Pakistani batsman ever but he's still inferior to the 5th best batsman of India.

in my opening message itself i have clearly stated that i consider Sehwag the better  over all batsman by 2 levels atleast  due to his vast superior    one day record. i gave credit to Sehwag's  murderous str: rate  in tests too.But the record in alien conditions(aus + nzl + saf+ eng+wi) is one which can't be neglected as nothing serious for a batsman from subcontinent. In this regard Younis is convincingly superior to Sehwag. In effect in tests, it is Sehwag's "str: rate + avg:" being an opener vs Younis  lot more consistancy across various countries. So in tests it is slightly Younis for me  because run scoring across various countries is more important.  So your comments like 'joke' etc are over the top.

Younis indeed is a great test batsman that needs to be appreciated.