Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tweaker

Tennis :2017 season

Recommended Posts

She is the best women doubles player and Bethannie is one of the great veteran doubles player. Together they have won many good games before, so to see them playing again is not a surprise. They are actually a pretty good team, but not sure if they are going to be playing on regular basis as Mirza might pair again with Strycova. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Djokovic downs Del potro in acapulco. Was an entertaining match. Just saw the highlights insane defending by djokovic at times:adore:

 

But Kyrgios takes out Novak in next match. Looks like Kyrgios served too good. Not a bad week for djokovic.

 

 

Next up Indian wells and Miami. Nole has 2000 points to defend:cheer: Looks tough atm though.

 

Kyrgios has a serious shot at title but with kyrgios anything can happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2017 at 7:14 AM, kumar713 said:

Sam querrey served lights out against Rafa in the final. Won the Acapulco title:yess:

Yes am, glad he did it. Such a talented player who has good serve but could never live up to his potential. Beat Djoker last year in Wimby and now Nadal here.

 

May be rising late. I hope he goes deep in Wimby this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2017 at 8:42 AM, flat_wicket_bully said:

The draw for the Indian wells is one of the most outrageous draws ever lol. Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Wawrinka, Zverev, Del Potro all are on the same side of the draw

Looking forward to it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pospisil beats Murray in R2:clap:

Indian wells has never been a good place for Murray historically.

In first set murray served poorly, Second set got few half chance but pospisil somehow survived in TB for the win.

Pospisil's serve and Volley:cool:

Top half of draw is wide open with Tsonga also knocked out by Fognini.

 

Time for Nishikori to step up in that half.

 

 

Djokovic starts against Edmund:cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

How slow is IW ? Playing like clay, and even slower than previous years. 

Not all courts. I mean stadiums now.

 

Jeez  this js the biggest Tennis facility, bigger than Australian Open, US Open or Wimbledon for that matter.

 

They got 4 big stadiums now. If not for New York, this deserved a grandslam. Their Stadium 1 is second biggest in the world too after Arthur Ashe. 

 

What a beautiful facility which keeps getting better year after year.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2017 at 9:57 PM, flat_wicket_bully said:

The draw for the Indian wells is one of the most outrageous draws ever lol. Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Wawrinka, Zverev, Del Potro all are on the same side of the draw

Honestly Murray exiting esrly made it look worse. Otherwise Murray and Wawinka on side won't have been that bad.

 

Now hoping Wawrinka reaches from here and Federer from the other side.

 

I do see Kyrgios beating Djoker tonight. What a talent if he can just get rid off his dumb shyt which he does all the time, he is one of the best players.

 

Also would love to see Nishikori best Wawrinka, even though I like Wawrinka, I would like Nishikori to get past him and reach the finals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roger has definitely found a way to turn his weakness i.e. his backhand to his strength.

Five things that struck me which I believe are responsible for this turnaround :

1. No slicing - Roger goes for outright winners and drives through every backhand.The one time he sliced,Nadal won the point

2. The inside out backhand return deep to Nadals backhand evokes a short midcourt response from Nadal that Federer can easily put away

3. The forehand drive is more short on the service return is compact and has depth.This is possible because of a bigger racquet.

4. The inside out forehand with a deeper angle to Nadals forehand.

5.No net rushing at all.

 

Ljubcic deserves credit.One can only hope what the outcome would have been if Roger had switched to a larger frame and adopted a more aggressive and fearless approach on his return game against Nadal during their earlier skirmishes.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoda-esque said:

Roger has definitely found a way to turn his weakness i.e. his backhand to his strength.

Five things that struck me which I believe are responsible for this turnaround :

1. No slicing - Roger goes for outright winners and drives through every backhand.The one time he sliced,Nadal won the point

2. The inside out backhand return deep to Nadals backhand evokes a short midcourt response from Nadal that Federer can easily put away

3. The forehand drive is more short on the service return is compact and has depth.This is possible because of a bigger racquet.

4. The inside out forehand with a deeper angle to Nadals forehand.

5.No net rushing at all.

 

Ljubcic deserves credit.One can only hope what the outcome would have been if Roger had switched to a larger frame and adopted a more aggressive and fearless approach on his return game against Nadal during their earlier skirmishes.

 

 

He mentioned mostnof those points in his interview with tennis channel just now.

 

Yes, his new racquet is working like a charm for him. He has worked on his backhand game a lot. He seems to be looking to dominate more and relying less on nice looking shots.

 

He mentioned he used to play differently in particular against Rafa, but he has made sure to play more conservatively abd back his strengths.

 

One quote from today's interview of Roger about Rafa

"I know Rafa is capable of hitting the ball back to the back hand returns but he can do it once or twice to win points only. Rafa knows that to beat me, he has to do it more than once or twice. And I kept questioning him today to make sure he falters eventually." Roger showed respect yet was blunt about how well he is playing right now.

 

The six months break has worked well for him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

He mentioned mostnof those points in his interview with tennis channel just now.

 

Yes, his new racquet is working like a charm for him. He has worked on his backhand game a lot. He seems to be looking to dominate more and relying less on nice looking shots.

 

He mentioned he used to play differently in particular against Rafa, but he has made sure to play more conservatively abd back his strengths.

 

One quote from today's interview of Roger about Rafa

"I know Rafa is capable of hitting the ball back to the back hand returns but he can do it once or twice to win points only. Rafa knows that to beat me, he has to do it more than once or twice. And I kept questioning him today to make sure he falters eventually." Roger showed respect yet was blunt about how well he is playing right now.

 

The six months break has worked well for him.

 

Making adjustments and willing to learn at this age is what makes Roger the Greatest Ever,not a shadow of doubt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yoda-esque said:

Making adjustments and willing to learn at this age is what makes Roger the Greatest Ever,not a shadow of doubt!

Yes, hence I will never rule out any great player like many did about Roger. He was playing well last year too but was just struggling against Novak, who was in unreal form but lost motivation after getting career slam at French Open.

 

 

I will continue to back even Rafa whom I was never a big fan of but respect him as he is one of greats of this game. He too is a gifted player. 

 

Federer too might lose now against Kyrgios who is an exceptional talent and playig great tennis, but there is no doubt that Federer is playing great tennis again and migjt as well win another slam this year. At least I will hope for that to happen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nadal has lost some speed plus his FHDTL is missing.

If Rafa keeps losing like these i don't see him last longer in the tour.

Roger's backhand has improved but Nadal has no longer been able to target that BH consistently like he used to do early. 

 

 

Hope Kei can win this whole thing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, kumar713 said:

Federer to beat NK in 2 sets with first one being a TB.

Don't see NK winning this one.

Want that to happen. But what a game

meanwhile between Nishioka and Wawrinka. His career will change from here. He gave big heart attack to Wawrinka who is the highest seed remaining. Came in as lucky loser too. Lost last night but fought for every point.

 

I expect big things from those gutsy player in the future. Just 21. 

 

He even beat giant Karlovic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kumar713 said:

Nadal has lost some speed plus his FHDTL is missing.

If Rafa keeps losing like these i don't see him last longer in the tour.

Roger's backhand has improved but Nadal has no longer been able to target that BH consistently like he used to do early. 

 

 

Hope Kei can win this whole thing now.

^

its always a folly to judge Rafa's season and his game till the clay season begins. IMO, Nadal will do fine on clay.
Nadal's failure to target Fed's backhand as much is a direct result of Federer being super-aggressive with his backhand. Less time for Nadal to set up and work the angles like when Fed used to slice. I think it took Federer a long time to realize that he is no Steffi Graf with the slice. 


I am excited this year, as this year the FO is looking to be the most open it has in over a decade. Nadal, Murray, Djoker, Wawrinka, Thiem, Nishikori- they should all be favourites. Someone like Del Potro, if he gets hot during those two weeks, can win too.

 

Edited by Muloghonto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kumar713 said:

Kyrgios withdraws against federer. Was waiting for this match but......

 

Sock takes out Kei. Not a result what i wanted. Federer's title now.

Spck did well this tournament. I guess this was his "coming of age" tournament.

 

Great for American tennis to have two guys who can fight it out - Sock and Steve Johnson. I am sad to say but I am losing faith in Isner who has excellent serve but not the on court game.

 

Sam Querray is another guy I still would keep my hopes from in termsnof Americans.

 

Looking forward to Stan was Roger. Battle of the swiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2017 at 2:57 AM, Muloghonto said:

^

its always a folly to judge Rafa's season and his game till the clay season begins. IMO, Nadal will do fine on clay.
Nadal's failure to target Fed's backhand as much is a direct result of Federer being super-aggressive with his backhand. Less time for Nadal to set up and work the angles like when Fed used to slice. I think it took Federer a long time to realize that he is no Steffi Graf with the slice. 


I am excited this year, as this year the FO is looking to be the most open it has in over a decade. Nadal, Murray, Djoker, Wawrinka, Thiem, Nishikori- they should all be favourites. Someone like Del Potro, if he gets hot during those two weeks, can win too.

 

I wonder if you find Federer's return suspicious the way you found Nadal's 2013 return suspicious. Didn't you declare that it was impossible for a player to come back after a long break and start winning immediately again? Keep in mind that Nadal was 26 then, Federer is doing it at 35. Using the arguments you used, Federer must be doping. Something tells me you don't and would post a laundry list of excuses for Federer (like his game requires no energy, power blah blah) lol. 

Edited by zep1706

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2017 at 11:12 PM, kumar713 said:

Nadal has lost some speed plus his FHDTL is missing.

If Rafa keeps losing like these i don't see him last longer in the tour.

Roger's backhand has improved but Nadal has no longer been able to target that BH consistently like he used to do early. 

 

 

Hope Kei can win this whole thing now.

Nadal's main problem is that mentally he's not the same player as he used to be. Nadal of 2014 and before would not have lost the AO open final against Federer after leading 3-1 in the final set. Of course the brutal 5 hour semi did not help him. He looked a step slower in the fifth set. That is the difference between 22 (when he did it in 2009) and 30. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zep1706 said:

I wonder if you find Federer's return suspicious the way you found Nadal's 2013 return suspicious. Didn't you declare that it was impossible for a player to come back after a long break and start winning immediately again? Keep in mind that Nadal was 26 then, Federer is doing it at 35. Using the arguments you used, Federer must be doping. Something tells me you don't and would post a laundry list of excuses for Federer (like his game requires no energy, power blah blah) lol. 

But thats just it- Federer didn't take months off playing tennis and come back suddenly winning- he took only 3 weeks or so to recover from his knee injury and then shut his season down after his wimbledon campaign. Unlike Nadal, he didnt go months without touching his racket- he did what DelPo did on a bit longer timescale - shut his season down, trained more intensely and came back fitter. 


Also, its a lot easier to accept Federer winning because he relies so much on magic shots. Unless he loses his touch and footwork, his magic shots are still there. Nadal on the other hand, relies on extreme fitness- which is a lot harder to hit the ground running in terms of 'match fit'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

But thats just it- Federer didn't take months off playing tennis and come back suddenly winning- he took only 3 weeks or so to recover from his knee injury and then shut his season down after his wimbledon campaign. Unlike Nadal, he didnt go months without touching his racket- he did what DelPo did on a bit longer timescale - shut his season down, trained more intensely and came back fitter. 


Also, its a lot easier to accept Federer winning because he relies so much on magic shots. Unless he loses his touch and footwork, his magic shots are still there. Nadal on the other hand, relies on extreme fitness- which is a lot harder to hit the ground running in terms of 'match fit'.

 

Who told you that Nadal went months without touching the racquet? Were you with him to see if he had trained and played tennis before returning? LOL. Don't make a fool of yourself. Your hypocrisy has already been exposed. FYI Nadal started training after a couple of months (from Oct-Nov 2012) and could have returned at 2013 Australian Open as well. The official decision to skip 2013 AO was a stomach bug. Basically it was a strategic decision to return on clay playing clay 250s in South America where he would be most comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, zep1706 said:

Who told you that Nadal went months without touching the racquet? Were you with him to see if he had trained and played tennis before returning? LOL. Don't make a fool of yourself. Your hypocrisy has already been exposed. FYI Nadal started training after a couple of months (from Oct-Nov 2012) and could have returned at 2013 Australian Open as well. The official decision to skip 2013 AO was a stomach bug. Basically it was a strategic decision to return on clay playing clay 250s in South America where he would be most comfortable. 

Yeah, couple of months versus couple of weeks. makes a big difference.

And like i said, far easier to see a guy relying on magic shots hit the ground running versus a guy who relies on superior physical fitness hitting the ground running after a massive physical injury.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Yeah, couple of months versus couple of weeks. makes a big difference.

And like i said, far easier to see a guy relying on magic shots hit the ground running versus a guy who relies on superior physical fitness hitting the ground running after a massive physical injury.

 

Trust me if I start quoting your old posts you would have nowhere to hide other than that "Federer is magical" defense. It is even worse considering Federer is 35 not 26 like Nadal was in 2013. Also Nadal started by winning against nobodies on clay, Federer started winning slams and masters right away outplaying outlasting top 10 opponents in back to back 5 setters. But I have grown up in the last couple of years and I no longer waste my time arguing on the internet. I just wanted to call you out on your hypocrisy which I did. Good bye! 

Edited by zep1706

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful tournament for Federer.

 

While the general consensus is that Federer is playing his best tennis ever ,I beg to disagree.

- Federers movement, especially on the forehand side, has deteriorated to a large extent

- He also makes a larger number of unforced errors off both wings

 

Where he has improved is his court positioning.Taking returns early by driving through them has paid dividends.While this might be good enough to work against Nadal,it might not be so against Djokovic who likes pace and is a metronome.So Federer needs to keep changing his tactics against various opponents to get the most success.He needs to conserve his energy and is no longer the player he was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Wonderful tournament for Federer.

 

While the general consensus is that Federer is playing his best tennis ever ,I beg to disagree.

- Federers movement, especially on the forehand side, has deteriorated to a large extent

- He also makes a larger number of unforced errors off both wings

 

Where he has improved is his court positioning.Taking returns early by driving through them has paid dividends.While this might be good enough to work against Nadal,it might not be so against Djokovic who likes pace and is a metronome.So Federer needs to keep changing his tactics against various opponents to get the most success.He needs to conserve his energy and is no longer the player he was.

 

^
Djokovic is going through the same phase Nadal went through in 2014, where one could hope to 'blow through him' on fast courts with power hitting. His matches agains Kyrgios, DelPo and Cilic in recent memory has made me think that Djokovic has lost that cutting edge in retrieving and forcing errors from power-hitters regularly enough to win.


I also wonder how much of his elbow injury issue is due to his technically flawed 'bent elbow' forehand technique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
^

Djokovic is going through the same phase Nadal went through in 2014, where one could hope to 'blow through him' on fast courts with power hitting. His matches agains Kyrgios, DelPo and Cilic in recent memory has made me think that Djokovic has lost that cutting edge in retrieving and forcing errors from power-hitters regularly enough to win.

 

I also wonder how much of his elbow injury issue is due to his technically flawed 'bent elbow' forehand technique.

It could be a combination of two things:

 

1. Motivation-Djokovic has said tennis is no longer a priority

2.Playing Style-Djokovic and Nadal are not what I call aggressive players.Both of them move well side to side but are loathe to move in to finish points.Such a style of play is good when you are young and have energy ,but not when you are in your late 20s or eatly 30s.Sooner or later, the next generation will catch up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

It could be a combination of two things:

 

1. Motivation-Djokovic has said tennis is no longer a priority

2.Playing Style-Djokovic and Nadal are not what I call aggressive players.Both of them move well side to side but are loathe to move in to finish points.Such a style of play is good when you are young and have energy ,but not when you are in your late 20s or eatly 30s.Sooner or later, the next generation will catch up.

Point #2 do u mean its the cause of Djokovic's decline or cause of his elbow injury ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Federer has already missed plenty of tournaments between his victory of Australian open and here in Indian Wells.

 

His priority are now Wimbledon and US Hard Court season which involves US Open.

 

He is going to try to compete in French but won't go as hard as he did for Australian Open in the end or here at Indian wells.

 

 

Regarding Djokovic, Tennis is still massive priority for him but he has not pushed himself like that 2015-16 when he was winning everything, this is because every simce he completed his career slam last year in French Open, he has relaxed a bit. 

 

I think having lost early in so many tournaments now, he is going to start coming hard and oractice hard. Young players like Kyrgios and Thiem are taking their game to serious distance and to stay in the game against them, you have to stay motivated and practice harder.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Djokovic was too casual after winning French, He is not lacking the motivation, training well.

He has beaten Del potro twice in a row which will do him good. His draws in Acapulco & IW has been a brutal one.

He lost to NK who was serving out of the world. 

With djokovic not playing Miami, expecting him to Come back harder during clay season.

 

Hope his injury gets healed soon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×