Tennis :2017 season

tweaker

Roger has definitely found a way to turn his weakness i.e. his backhand to his strength.

Five things that struck me which I believe are responsible for this turnaround :

1. No slicing - Roger goes for outright winners and drives through every backhand.The one time he sliced,Nadal won the point

2. The inside out backhand return deep to Nadals backhand evokes a short midcourt response from Nadal that Federer can easily put away

3. The forehand drive is more short on the service return is compact and has depth.This is possible because of a bigger racquet.

4. The inside out forehand with a deeper angle to Nadals forehand.

5.No net rushing at all.

Ljubcic deserves credit.One can only hope what the outcome would have been if Roger had switched to a larger frame and adopted a more aggressive and fearless approach on his return game against Nadal during their earlier skirmishes.

1 hour ago, Yoda-esque said:

Roger has definitely found a way to turn his weakness i.e. his backhand to his strength.

Five things that struck me which I believe are responsible for this turnaround :

1. No slicing - Roger goes for outright winners and drives through every backhand.The one time he sliced,Nadal won the point

2. The inside out backhand return deep to Nadals backhand evokes a short midcourt response from Nadal that Federer can easily put away

3. The forehand drive is more short on the service return is compact and has depth.This is possible because of a bigger racquet.

4. The inside out forehand with a deeper angle to Nadals forehand.

5.No net rushing at all.

Ljubcic deserves credit.One can only hope what the outcome would have been if Roger had switched to a larger frame and adopted a more aggressive and fearless approach on his return game against Nadal during their earlier skirmishes.

He mentioned mostnof those points in his interview with tennis channel just now.

Yes, his new racquet is working like a charm for him. He has worked on his backhand game a lot. He seems to be looking to dominate more and relying less on nice looking shots.

He mentioned he used to play differently in particular against Rafa, but he has made sure to play more conservatively abd back his strengths.

One quote from today's interview of Roger about Rafa

"I know Rafa is capable of hitting the ball back to the back hand returns but he can do it once or twice to win points only. Rafa knows that to beat me, he has to do it more than once or twice. And I kept questioning him today to make sure he falters eventually." Roger showed respect yet was blunt about how well he is playing right now.

The six months break has worked well for him.

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

He mentioned mostnof those points in his interview with tennis channel just now.

Yes, his new racquet is working like a charm for him. He has worked on his backhand game a lot. He seems to be looking to dominate more and relying less on nice looking shots.

He mentioned he used to play differently in particular against Rafa, but he has made sure to play more conservatively abd back his strengths.

One quote from today's interview of Roger about Rafa

"I know Rafa is capable of hitting the ball back to the back hand returns but he can do it once or twice to win points only. Rafa knows that to beat me, he has to do it more than once or twice. And I kept questioning him today to make sure he falters eventually." Roger showed respect yet was blunt about how well he is playing right now.

The six months break has worked well for him.

Making adjustments and willing to learn at this age is what makes Roger the Greatest Ever,not a shadow of doubt!

1 minute ago, Yoda-esque said:

Making adjustments and willing to learn at this age is what makes Roger the Greatest Ever,not a shadow of doubt!

Yes, hence I will never rule out any great player like many did about Roger. He was playing well last year too but was just struggling against Novak, who was in unreal form but lost motivation after getting career slam at French Open.

I will continue to back even Rafa whom I was never a big fan of but respect him as he is one of greats of this game. He too is a gifted player. 

Federer too might lose now against Kyrgios who is an exceptional talent and playig great tennis, but there is no doubt that Federer is playing great tennis again and migjt as well win another slam this year. At least I will hope for that to happen.

Nadal has lost some speed plus his FHDTL is missing.

If Rafa keeps losing like these i don't see him last longer in the tour.

Roger's backhand has improved but Nadal has no longer been able to target that BH consistently like he used to do early. 

Hope Kei can win this whole thing now.

23 minutes ago, kumar713 said:

Federer to beat NK in 2 sets with first one being a TB.

Don't see NK winning this one.

Want that to happen. But what a game

meanwhile between Nishioka and Wawrinka. His career will change from here. He gave big heart attack to Wawrinka who is the highest seed remaining. Came in as lucky loser too. Lost last night but fought for every point.

I expect big things from those gutsy player in the future. Just 21. 

He even beat giant Karlovic. 

3 hours ago, kumar713 said:

Roger's backhand has improved but Nadal has no longer been able to target that BH consistently like he used to do early. 

^

its always a folly to judge Rafa's season and his game till the clay season begins. IMO, Nadal will do fine on clay.
Nadal's failure to target Fed's backhand as much is a direct result of Federer being super-aggressive with his backhand. Less time for Nadal to set up and work the angles like when Fed used to slice. I think it took Federer a long time to realize that he is no Steffi Graf with the slice. 

I am excited this year, as this year the FO is looking to be the most open it has in over a decade. Nadal, Murray, Djoker, Wawrinka, Thiem, Nishikori- they should all be favourites. Someone like Del Potro, if he gets hot during those two weeks, can win too.

Edited by Muloghonto

22 hours ago, kumar713 said:

Kyrgios withdraws against federer. Was waiting for this match but......

Sock takes out Kei. Not a result what i wanted. Federer's title now.

Spck did well this tournament. I guess this was his "coming of age" tournament.

Great for American tennis to have two guys who can fight it out - Sock and Steve Johnson. I am sad to say but I am losing faith in Isner who has excellent serve but not the on court game.

Sam Querray is another guy I still would keep my hopes from in termsnof Americans.

Looking forward to Stan was Roger. Battle of the swiss.

On 3/17/2017 at 2:57 AM, Muloghonto said:

^

its always a folly to judge Rafa's season and his game till the clay season begins. IMO, Nadal will do fine on clay.
Nadal's failure to target Fed's backhand as much is a direct result of Federer being super-aggressive with his backhand. Less time for Nadal to set up and work the angles like when Fed used to slice. I think it took Federer a long time to realize that he is no Steffi Graf with the slice. 

I am excited this year, as this year the FO is looking to be the most open it has in over a decade. Nadal, Murray, Djoker, Wawrinka, Thiem, Nishikori- they should all be favourites. Someone like Del Potro, if he gets hot during those two weeks, can win too.

I wonder if you find Federer's return suspicious the way you found Nadal's 2013 return suspicious. Didn't you declare that it was impossible for a player to come back after a long break and start winning immediately again? Keep in mind that Nadal was 26 then, Federer is doing it at 35. Using the arguments you used, Federer must be doping. Something tells me you don't and would post a laundry list of excuses for Federer (like his game requires no energy, power blah blah) lol. 

Edited by zep1706

On 3/16/2017 at 11:12 PM, kumar713 said:

Nadal's main problem is that mentally he's not the same player as he used to be. Nadal of 2014 and before would not have lost the AO open final against Federer after leading 3-1 in the final set. Of course the brutal 5 hour semi did not help him. He looked a step slower in the fifth set. That is the difference between 22 (when he did it in 2009) and 30. 

1 hour ago, zep1706 said:

I wonder if you find Federer's return suspicious the way you found Nadal's 2013 return suspicious. Didn't you declare that it was impossible for a player to come back after a long break and start winning immediately again? Keep in mind that Nadal was 26 then, Federer is doing it at 35. Using the arguments you used, Federer must be doping. Something tells me you don't and would post a laundry list of excuses for Federer (like his game requires no energy, power blah blah) lol. 

But thats just it- Federer didn't take months off playing tennis and come back suddenly winning- he took only 3 weeks or so to recover from his knee injury and then shut his season down after his wimbledon campaign. Unlike Nadal, he didnt go months without touching his racket- he did what DelPo did on a bit longer timescale - shut his season down, trained more intensely and came back fitter. 

Also, its a lot easier to accept Federer winning because he relies so much on magic shots. Unless he loses his touch and footwork, his magic shots are still there. Nadal on the other hand, relies on extreme fitness- which is a lot harder to hit the ground running in terms of 'match fit'.

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

But thats just it- Federer didn't take months off playing tennis and come back suddenly winning- he took only 3 weeks or so to recover from his knee injury and then shut his season down after his wimbledon campaign. Unlike Nadal, he didnt go months without touching his racket- he did what DelPo did on a bit longer timescale - shut his season down, trained more intensely and came back fitter. 

Also, its a lot easier to accept Federer winning because he relies so much on magic shots. Unless he loses his touch and footwork, his magic shots are still there. Nadal on the other hand, relies on extreme fitness- which is a lot harder to hit the ground running in terms of 'match fit'.

Who told you that Nadal went months without touching the racquet? Were you with him to see if he had trained and played tennis before returning? LOL. Don't make a fool of yourself. Your hypocrisy has already been exposed. FYI Nadal started training after a couple of months (from Oct-Nov 2012) and could have returned at 2013 Australian Open as well. The official decision to skip 2013 AO was a stomach bug. Basically it was a strategic decision to return on clay playing clay 250s in South America where he would be most comfortable.