Sign in to follow this  
Cricketics

The Australian Open 2017

It all starts very soon on 16th. First slam of the year. Both Murray and Djokovic are joint favorites to win this one.

The Draw will be out soon in frew days

Federer and Nadal are both back and practicing hard. Nadal looking a little better. 

I am excited about Kei Nishikior and hoping he has a great run again. 

Meanwhile, Bhambir is playing his first round qualifier right now against the upcoming Stefan Kozlov of USA. Kozlov is a tough opponent but Bhambri has won the first set. and it is 5-5 in the 2nd. 

Yuki misses main draw. Only hope is doubles now.

Novak has a tough first round match against Verdasco who knocked out Rafa last year but djoker favourite to win this. 

These 2 had a good match in Doha open.

Nishikori survived a 5 setter to progress to 2nd round but if he continues this way might run out of gas in latter stages.

Edited by kumar713

13 hours ago, kumar713 said:

Was watching the final qualifier match of yukri, suddenly he started throwing unforced errors. Serve was not great too. Aus open has been his most successful slam in terms of qualifying for main draw.

Lets see what he does from now on.

Just came back form injury and did pretty well. I am gutted too really as i thougt he will make it to round 1. It would have even helped him financially by qualifying to the main draw. Injust hope he stays fit. Hehas played about 8 games after injury and already looking good. 

Federer through after little fight from Melzer. Not most clinical but good to see Federer back in action against another former player Melzer.

Meanwhile Djokovic plays tricky Verdasco. Verdasco loves Aussie open, in particular Rod Laver Arena where he played an epic against Nadal few years back. Looking forward to this game tonight. 

12 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Novak Djokovic is out guys. Denis Istomin has stunned him and knocked him out.

Djokovic seems a couple of levels lower in intensity ever since he won the French Open.  Its like he doesnt care if he wins or loses anymore.

Unfortunately for him, Wawrinka has exposed to the tour that your best shot against Djokovic is to hit through him and blow him off the court. As he crosses 30, more and more young players will start exploiting his diminishing movements by trying to hit through him. 

Edited by Muloghonto

15 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Djokovic seems a couple of levels lower in intensity ever since he won the French Open.  Its like he doesnt care if he wins or loses anymore.

Unfortunately for him, Wawrinka has exposed to the tour that your best shot against Djokovic is to hit through him and blow him off the court. As he crosses 30, more and more young players will start exploiting his diminishing movements by trying to hit through him. 

Wawarinka has knack of exposing lot of players just through his back hand shot, which is the best back hand by far still in the world. Most dangerous player.

I do know Djoker will comeback strong but yeah he knows now that it is not going to be easy to win a grandslam. Heat is on him. He won a lot in the last few years. Now even winning 1 slam will be tough from here on for him. 

On 1/17/2017 at 7:57 AM, Cricketics said:

Watching Zverev right now. The guy is down in the game but one surely got to consider him the future of tennis. Him and Dominic Thiem have great potential to be the next to rival players in future. 

Great call :two_thumbs_up: Zverev beat Murray in the Pre-QF.

2 hours ago, Scarface said:

Great call :two_thumbs_up: Zverev beat Murray in the Pre-QF.

Thanks brother but let me correct you. It is the other Zverev who won against Murray. His brother. The youngster who I talked about lost in semis. His brother actually retired few years ago and returned only because he got inspired by his little brother. And now he beat world no.1 Andy Murray.

Both brothers doing great. The little one who lost to Nadal still has great future. 

On 1/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, Scarface said:

^Oops my bad :embarassed: I am watching today almost after a year and that too coz Fed was playing. Happy that Fed's 5-setter ended happily. Hope he wins this Aus Open since both the top seeds are out :pray:

Wawrinka heavy favorite who is currently in battle with Tsonga.

Federer plays Zverev next up after this game on this same court. 

Man What a story of this Lucic Banoni.

She came in as a promising youngster as 15-16 year old in 90s. By 2000, she had faded away. And now after 20 years she reaches her first semi final.

A brilliant sport story if one was ever looking forward to hearing. This is it. Class and hats off to her for hanging in there for a such a long time. Semi final of a grandslam is a big thing. 

And Sania/Dodiq beat Bopanna/Dabrowski in quarters of mixed doubles which means Paes and Hingis could face another Indian pair in semis if they get through their tough game against Stosur/Groth the Aussie team which will be playing at home.

Meanwhile, match of the day has just started - David Goffin vs Grigor Dimitrov. Should be an epic. Very evenly matched players. 

Gutted for Djoker. But his level of play after winning French open was pretty low but i will take French open any day. Split with Boris was a wrong choice too.

Hoping he will bounce back soon:cheer:

Good to see Andy getting knocked out:phehe: My only positive of this AO since djoker is out early.

As far as Federer he is playing at a pretty good level but Murray or Djoker would exposed him, still there is Nadal threat though. He was running through stan in first 2 sets today but suddenly stan decided to show up after medical time out at end of 2nd set. Federer started to play poorly in 3rd and 4th sets, stan capitalized on this and won next 2 sets forcing a decider. In 5th stan handed him a break which he capitalized on.

Good win for him though. 2 complete days rest before final is good for him. He has a minor injury too.

One last chance for federer to reach Magic 18. But nadal threat looms. Dimitrov needs to take out nadal for federer to have any chance in winning this AO, Dimitrov vs Federer too is not an easy one for federer but it is much better than facing Nadal.

If final is between Rafa vs Federer, we all know what's gonna happen. Odds will be against Fed, lets see what he does.

Hope roger wins this AO:agree: it will motivate Djoker too:cheer:

2 hours ago, kumar713 said:

No if one supports federer.

I do support Federer, but I would like to see a nadal Federer final. This rivalry produced many great matches. While one might say the rivalry is one sided. That's actually nt the case. Nadal has only dominated in clay courts. While Federer leads in hard and grass courts. He will fancy his chances. Plus playing against dimitrov will be like playing against a younger budding version of himself(he has been labelled as having a Federer style of playing)

on a side note, a Williams sisters finals, veterans are truly dominating this Open.

I do support Federer, but I would like to see a nadal Federer final. This rivalry produced many great matches. While one might say the rivalry is one sided. That's actually nt the case. Nadal has only dominated in clay courts. While Federer leads in hard and grass courts. He will fancy his chances. Plus playing against dimitrov will be like playing against a younger budding version of himself(he has been labelled as having a Federer style of playing)

on a side note, a Williams sisters finals, veterans are truly dominating this Open.

Nadal is Federers worst nightmare.

The match up is as lopsided as possible.

Nadal doesnt even need to do anything special to defeat Federer.

If they meet it will be a 4 set win for Nadal.

7 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

Nadal is Federers worst nightmare.

The match up is as lopsided as possible.

Nadal doesnt even need to do anything special to defeat Federer.

If they meet it will be a 4 set win for Nadal.

If this was a clay match, I would agree, but in hard and grass courts Federer leads nadal, with most of the matches being close. Nadal's 23 or 24-10(nt sure exactly) wins were mostly contested on clay.

If this was a clay match, I would agree, but in hard and grass courts Federer leads nadal, with most of the matches being close. Nadal's 23 or 24-10(nt sure exactly) wins were mostly contested on clay.

When was the last time Federer defeated Nadal in a 5 setter? I think Wimbledon 2007...

19 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

When was the last time Federer defeated Nadal in a 5 setter? I think Wimbledon 2007...

yeah ur right, Federer has beaten nadal only in 3 set matches since then, with the most recent meeting going in favour of Federer.

At this stage, Fed vs Rafa is a mental thing for Fed. They both have lost a step in speed- which impacts Nadal's game far more than Federer's. But for Federer to win, he has to believe he can and stick to the plan, instead of getting over-aggressive. For Nadal to win (if he beats Dimitrov), he'd have to hope Federer isn't seeing the ball as big as a football. Or he won't be able to dig out those monster forehands of Federer like he used to.

Edited by Muloghonto

At this stage, Fed vs Rafa is a mental thing for Fed. They both have lost a step in speed- which impacts Nadal's game far more than Federer's. But for Federer to win, he has to believe he can and stick to the plan, instead of getting over-aggressive. For Nadal to win (if he beats Dimitrov), he'd have to hope Federer isn't seeing the ball as big as a football. Or he won't be able to dig out those monster forehands of Federer like he used to.

Federer has to attack the forehand ,go big on it.

Nadals backhand is still very reliable but his forehand on the run has lost its edge.Also Federer has to attempt more DTL backhands which will open up Nadals FH wing.

Federer beating Wawarinka should give him a big boost. Regardless of much of it would be a me tal thing against Rafa, he still ended u beating the tournament favorite in Wawarinka. Yes, Stan was favorite to win this after Djoker and Murray got out. Federer stopped him amd fhat should give him confidence. There was a time Stan was coming back as he won the third and the fourth set and actually had 2 break points in the 5th deciding set, but Federer managed to come out of it and showed that he is clearly playing at a higher level than last year.

I hope he does enough to win it on Sunday. I just want to see that 18th win. I am tired of waiting. I am sure many are waiting. 

Nadal was class and so was Dimitrov,

Please do not miss this Sunday. This could very well be the last ever Nadal vs Federer game in a grandslam final.

This is it guys.

Rolling back the years

#FedererVSNadal

Here's Nadal's match pount 

Just now, Cricketics said:

Nadal was class and so was Dimitrov,

Please do not miss this Sunday. This could very well be the last ever Nadal vs Federer game in a grandslam final.

This is it guys.

Rolling back the years

#FedererVSNadal

Here's Nadal's match pount 

I would advise you to skip it if you are a Federer fan ,Its going to be heartbreaking :)

Just now, Yoda-esque said:

I would advise you to skip it if you are a Federer fan ,Its going to be heartbreaking :)

I am, and I am just going to enjoy the game. I am one of those fans of Federer who also enjoys Nadal or any other great player but will root for Federer for sure.

We are lucky to have these two greats of this game still playing.

What a match today.. i still feel Federer has the upper hand in the Final. But am just going to enjoy, who ever wins.

BTW, I am a weekend player and quality of our games increases whenever there is a Grandslam going on.. or there are great matches like this!