Sign in to follow this  
Cricketics

The Australian Open 2017

5 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Over this weekend the mens and womens finals will be played by players with 60 slams between them..staggering!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yes, we often don't talk about the sisters but they habe been champs of this great game like Federer and Nadal.

Hoping for two great finals tomorrow and Sunday.

10 hours ago, kruiser said:

What a match today.. i still feel Federer has the upper hand in the Final. But am just going to enjoy, who ever wins.

BTW, I am a weekend player and quality of our games increases whenever there is a Grandslam going on.. or there are great matches like this! 

Nadal rolled back some years too in his play. Positive for Federer is that he came back after almost surrendering the game to Wawarinka in the 5th set. 

Also he knocked out the favorite WAwarinka, but on other hand, Nadal really had to play his best in order to beat Dimitrov who was serving rockets last night uptill 4th set.. This is the best I have seen Dimitrov in a while. Nadal overcame Dimitrov's best and that shows what kind of Tennis Nadal is playing too.

Seriously hard to pick between Federer and Nadal and  this just shows how much of an epic game it will turn out to be, not just because of the old rivalry involved but because of their play being about at the same level. 

On 1/26/2017 at 10:13 PM, I6MTW said:

I do support Federer, but I would like to see a nadal Federer final. This rivalry produced many great matches. While one might say the rivalry is one sided. That's actually nt the case. Nadal has only dominated in clay courts. While Federer leads in hard and grass courts. He will fancy his chances. Plus playing against dimitrov will be like playing against a younger budding version of himself(he has been labelled as having a Federer style of playing)

on a side note, a Williams sisters finals, veterans are truly dominating this Open.

Federer has a good record against nadal only in indoors

11 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Nadal rolled back some years too in his play. Positive for Federer is that he came back after almost surrendering the game to Wawarinka in the 5th set. 

Also he knocked out the favorite WAwarinka, but on other hand, Nadal really had to play his best in order to beat Dimitrov who was serving rockets last night uptill 4th set.. This is the best I have seen Dimitrov in a while. Nadal overcame Dimitrov's best and that shows what kind of Tennis Nadal is playing too.

Seriously hard to pick between Federer and Nadal and  this just shows how much of an epic game it will turn out to be, not just because of the old rivalry involved but because of their play being about at the same level. 

Federer has already played couple of 5 setters. Don't think he can afford another 5 setter in final. Needs to get it done or straights(unlikely) or may be in 4.

It will be more of a mental rather than physical. Roger has a huge mental block against Rafa. So will be interesting to see how roger approaches the match.

Rafa favourite to lift the trophy. Federer needs to serve well keep points short, can't afford to get trapped in longer rallies. It will be suicidal. 

Imagine Federer needs to replicate what Dimitrov done against nadal. Looks really really tough:afraid:

Hope Roger wins:cheer:

22 hours ago, kruiser said:

What a match today.. i still feel Federer has the upper hand in the Final. But am just going to enjoy, who ever wins.

BTW, I am a weekend player and quality of our games increases whenever there is a Grandslam going on.. or there are great matches like this! 

Federer has an extra day rest, but match will be mental first then only physical.

Hope federer finds a way to get this done.

1 hour ago, I6MTW said:

yea, and in grass. Nadal has a slight edge in outdoors and domination over clay courts.

I think past records do no matter much unless it was on clay where clearly Nadal would start favorite any day. Only past stats matter in the way that as the world no.1 Federer was constantly troubled by Nadal and Nadal always remained in his head.

Cliffhanger awaits. 

Start the game already. 

1 minute ago, kruiser said:

federers backhand is an indication of how he is playing... misfiring a lot in set 2. Looks bad for him

Nadal too doesn't look like serving well. I think it looks even stevens with Federer looking slighlty better in covering the court so far. 

2 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

That was a brilliant point by Nadal to close out his serve. 

yes, amazing! both show sparks of brilliance, but neither is consistent. Djoker or Murray when playing their normal game are still better than these two.

7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

In early 90s Tennis used to be of such  young players that even 26-27 used to look old  and now 34 -30 year old are fighting for title

If you are rich enough to have a big time around you such as trainer and traveling coach, you can do well. There is lot of money now to afford those kind of trainers for top 50 players. Federer and Nadal have made tons of money to afford team of 10 such people for every tournament. 

Mentally, Nadal is in much stronger position. you can see specially when he defends breakpoints... He does not have to do anything extra now, just keep holding! 

Fed will not win any more slams... sad to see :(

10 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

If you are rich enough to have a big time around you such as trainer and traveling coach, you can do well. There is lot of money now to afford those kind of trainers for top 50 players. Federer and Nadal have made tons of money to afford team of 10 such people for every tournament. 

there are younger players in the top 50 who can afford 10 trainers as well.. 

9 minutes ago, kruiser said:

Mentally, Nadal is in much stronger position. you can see specially when he defends breakpoints... He does not have to do anything extra now, just keep holding! 

Fed will not win any more slams... sad to see :(

Hang on. Nadal's all three service game have gone to deue this set. Federer got a big chance here as he breaks and then holds.

4-3 Federer now. Nadal to serve. 

20 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

In 90s Men's tennis used to be service dependent. That's why big serve was basic necessity.We had seen Sampras , Ivanisevic etc big serve and volley players .from 2000s it changed Andy Roddick with his big serve was not so sucessful