Ashwin doesnt really deserve his place in the ODI XI

Only Akshar Patel and Jasprit Bumrah have better economy rate than Ashwin.

He lacks wicket taking ability in ODIs.

And that is a big issue for us in middle overs .

His negative leg stump line is too easy to negate and allows batsmen to ease in without any trouble.

Unless Ashwin is forced to shift his line to more 4th stump instead leg stump , he deserves to be dropped.

He was dropped from the test team ,worked on his game and came back strong.No reason he cannt do that in Odis .

Also a mystery spinner (Chinaman bowlers are so rare ) like Kuldeep will always better chances in Odis than a classical offspinner like Ashwin.

His batting can be useful. They can try Jayant if he can hit. But this is a rebuilding side. Need some batsmen down the order. Unless you have solid backup option i would persist with him. On a slightly turning wicket he can be handy. Also he is one guy who can open the bowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQZGcIg-CU

You can't drop a bowler who bowled ball of the century in ODI :)

7 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

His batting can be useful. They can try Jayant if he can hit. But this is a rebuilding side. Need some batsmen down the order. Unless you have solid backup option i would persist with him. On a slightly turning wicket he can be handy. Also he is one guy who can open the bowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQZGcIg-CU

You can't drop a bowler who bowled ball of the century in ODI :)

He bats at 9.Hardly ever bats much in ODIs and doesnt have the power game either to be useful.And add to that he is pretty much a liability in the field.Hardly the multifaced cricketer in shorter formats.His only major utility is bowling.

ANd if the wicket is such a turner that we need Ashwin a 3rd spinner to open,there is no harm in ringing him in.The issue is about his ability in the modern flat odi wickets and in specific his inability to take wickets in middle overs .

Ashwin is a big match player....throw the stats out for a second if it is a final or semifinal of a major event,I would go with Ashwin,hell even over Jadeja leave alone Mishra etc.

Ash is more or less like Steyn,under achiever in ODI's but still a big name and a big  match player.

What I agree with is he doesn't need to play every useless ODI game out there.

Ashwin is a big match player....throw the stats out for a second if it is a final or semifinal of a major event,I would go with Ashwin,hell even over Jadeja leave alone Mishra etc.

Ash is more or less like Steyn,under achiever in ODI's but still a big name and a big  match player.

Based on that logic we should bring back Raina as well.He actually played far more impactful match winning knocks in big games than Ashwin's spells.

The problem with Ashwin isn't that he is just offcolour so that he can turn it on in big games .

It's the line he bowls in Odis .He has consistently been bowling the negative leg stump line in defensive mode .Yes it reflects in his decent economy rate but the problem with the power hitting in Odis , wickets are essential in middle overs .Containing by defensive bowling will simply not work.His figures may suffer but team suffers in the late overs as a result.

He has not taken a single 4-fer against any decent opposition in his career.How on earth he can have match winning without taking wickets .Being economical isn't big game performances.Taking wickets is.

Kuldeep and a wrist leg spinner both looking for wickets will be better than Ashwin and jaddu bowling defensive in middle overs and our quick bowlers getting smacked all over the place in final 10 overs. Containment is out of place in mordern ODIs. Taking wickets is the only way to restrict opposition for a low to medium score.

2 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

He bats at 9.Hardly ever bats much in ODIs and doesnt have the power game either to be useful.And add to that he is pretty much a liability in the field.Hardly the multifaced cricketer in shorter formats.His only major utility is bowling.

ANd if the wicket is such a turner that we need Ashwin a 3rd spinner to open,there is no harm in ringing him in.The issue is about his ability in the modern flat odi wickets and in specific his inability to take wickets in middle overs .

yes you can rotate him around leaving him out on flat surfaces. No problem there. But even on  a slightly turning pitch he will turn into a monster.

3 hours ago, maniac said:

He last odi was jan 2016