Yuvraj - Mirage or are there signs he is back?

20 minutes ago, goose said:

So what was KL Rahul's excuse?

Need longer rope, you take that risk with young players, not with the done and dusted. Yuvraj has made like 6 comebacks in 3 years, if that doesn't tell, what can? This is what Pakistan did to Afridi..maybe make yuvi captain as well.

Edited by coffee_rules
1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

He should be given a good long rope over other players. We gave so much time to others. Someone like him should be given a good run uptill champions trophy and beyond at least.

His rope has continued since 2012 after he recovered from cancer. He struggled in odis against decent bowling attacks, single-handedly lost us the 2014 T20 Cup and struggled in 2016 T20 WC. If this isn't "long rope" I struggle to understand what that is. We have likes of Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant, Shreyas Iyer, Karun Nair, Deepak Hooda waiting in the wings and once Rohit Sharma comes back that will reduce batting spot by one.

Should we ignore all the youngsters who can contribute now and in the future to carry a has been who's unlikely to be there in 2019 WC and unlikely to do much against decent bowling attacks? If that's the case let's bring in Sehwag, Gambhir and SRT as well. And it's not as if Yuvraj can contribute in the field like Raina or Jadeja or Manish Pandey or other youngsters. He is old and lethargic in the field and done. He has lived off his old glory days for 5 years since 2011 and it's high time we move on.

Cricketics. I am a fan of your posts and somehow we both have very similar views. I remember me and you were biggest fans of Kohli before he came into the international arena. 

However, I respectfully disagree with your opinions on Yuvi. The guy has got enough chances and lets face it. He is half the batsman he was in 2000s. He used to flop a lot in 2010 as well but eventually clicked in wcup 2011. But sadly the good days are gone. 

This quote from cricinfo summarizes everything that can be said about Yuvi

"When he made that 84 against Australia in his first international innings, Yuvraj was still a couple of months shy of turning 19. Here's something to ponder: would the selectors responsible for picking him in 2017 have picked him in 2000?"

I can't even understand this selection - it is that ridiculous. Why go to a done and dusted Yuvraj when we have so many exciting players in domestics who are doing well and hungry to play international cricket. We tried Pandey, he got a match winning hundred in Australia where we were losing every match. We have tried Kedar now and he has shown how handy he is. We are yet to try some of the most exciting players in domestics like Pant, Hooda, Kishan. So, it is not like we have no options or trying new players has not worked out. 

Quite frankly, this policy of bringing back players past their expiry date is ridiculous when recent history has shown that we are better off trying new players who are performing in our domestics.  These selectors are just rooted in the past and just don't have the vision to build a good team that can play fearless cricket. 

His rope has continued since 2012 after he recovered from cancer. He struggled in odis against decent bowling attacks, single-handedly lost us the 2014 T20 Cup and struggled in 2016 T20 WC. If this isn't "long rope" I struggle to understand what that is. We have likes of Manish Pandey, Rishabh Pant, Shreyas Iyer, Karun Nair, Deepak Hooda waiting in the wings and once Rohit Sharma comes back that will reduce batting spot by one.

Should we ignore all the youngsters who can contribute now and in the future to carry a has been who's unlikely to be there in 2019 WC and unlikely to do much against decent bowling attacks? If that's the case let's bring in Sehwag, Gambhir and SRT as well. And it's not as if Yuvraj can contribute in the field like Raina or Jadeja or Manish Pandey or other youngsters. He is old and lethargic in the field and done. He has lived off his old glory days for 5 years since 2011 and it's high time we move on.

Think that post was about Rahul not Yuvi

41 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

Which post are you quoting. Goose and me are talking about KL Rahull. 

1 hour ago, rahulrulezz said:

Cricketics. I am a fan of your posts and somehow we both have very similar views. I remember me and you were biggest fans of Kohli before he came into the international arena. 

However, I respectfully disagree with your opinions on Yuvi. The guy has got enough chances and lets face it. He is half the batsman he was in 2000s. He used to flop a lot in 2010 as well but eventually clicked in wcup 2011. But sadly the good days are gone. 

This quote from cricinfo summarizes everything that can be said about Yuvi

"When he made that 84 against Australia in his first international innings, Yuvraj was still a couple of months shy of turning 19. Here's something to ponder: would the selectors responsible for picking him in 2017 have picked him in 2000?"

Brother that is why they say read completely. You fell for the post of ultimate game. I am talking about Rahul. Goose asked about Rahul, and ultimate game's post confused you as he thougjt I am writing about Yuvraj, when I have actually written anout Rahul.

Ultimate game can apologise to you for confusing you :)

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I would not have selected Yuvraj in the first place and gone with  Pant.

But, now that he has been selected, let us see how he does in the whole series. First innings could have more than normal nerves as he is returning to ODIs after 3 years.

How many matches has he got after 2011 and how many times has he delivered?

5 minutes ago, Texan said:

How many matches has he got after 2011 and how many times has he delivered?

Which is why I  said I  would not have selected him in the first place and gone for Pant.

But, once you select someone on whatever basis  ( in this case they got impressed by his batting in Ranji Trophy which is not a correct basis as his problem was against genuine pace in the last 3 years )....you have to give him a few chances....otherwise, why select him in the first place  ?

Edited by express bowling
Just now, express bowling said:

Which is why i said i would not have selected him in the first place and gone for pant.

But, once you select someone on whatever basis  ( in this case they got impressed by his batting in Ranji Trophy which is not a correct basis as his problem was against genuine pace in the last 3 years )....you have to give him a few chances....otherwise, why select him in the first place  ?

For what? He is 36 years old, unfit liability in the team with hardly any chance of playing the 2019 World Cup. What is the point of giving him more chances? If you make a wrong decision, you correct it and cut your losses, not keep repeating the same mistake. 

7 minutes ago, Texan said:

For what? He is 36 years old, unfit liability in the team with hardly any chance of playing the 2019 World Cup. What is the point of giving him more chances? If you make a wrong decision, you correct it and cut your losses, not keep repeating the same mistake. 

He was chosen specifically with CT 17 in mind.... Kohli said in an interview that there were only 3 preparatory games left for CT and they did not try youngsters for that purpose as young guys need 10 games to get set.

That means the team management is going to stick to " experienced players " .   No point suggesting something that is not going to happen in practice.  You may think it is a mistake but the team management does not.

Edited by express bowling
12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

He was chosen specifically with CT 17 in mind.... Kohli said in an interview that there were only 3 preparatory games left for CT and they did not try youngsters for that purpose as young guys need 10 games to get set.

That means the team management is going to stick to " experienced players " .   No point suggesting something that is not going to happen in practice.  You may think it is a mistake but the team management does not.

All the more reason to dump him and let someone like Pandey get some more international exposure before the CT starts. Yuvraj has already lost us the 2014 World T20 and has been pretty woeful in international cricket since then. Investing in him means that we want to surrender the CT too.