Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni: Who is the greatest Indian ODI Batsman?

Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni:Who is the greatest India LOI Batsman?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni:Who is the greatest India LOI Batsman?

Just now, putrevus said:

I never said they were better than Sachin but I don't think Sachin was head and shoulders above them. The gap Viv had with his peers I don't think Sachin had that gap. Kohli has that gap at least in run chases.

why wasn't sachin head and shoulders above them in the 90s? sachin batted with higher average and a higher strike rate, tendulkar dominated the 96 world cup, carried the Indian batting line up and still performed better than every one else, viv played in an era of lower competition, do you really think odi cricket of the 80s was as developed as the odi cricket of 90s? Who were the great odi bowlers from 70s and 80s, tell me one good odi spinner from the 70s and 80s who can compete with warne, murals and saqlain? tell me the fast bowers from 70s and 80s who can compete with ambrose, mcgrath, wasim and waqar, donald, pollack, mind you I am talking about ODIs and not test cricket

3 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Zaheer faced the bowlers of Viv's team whom you rated as formidable.Viv faced Wasim Kapil IK and the likes.

Tendulkar didnt even avg 45 let alone close to 55.Try again.

lmao try again 

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;qualmin1=2000;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=31+dec+2004;spanmin1=1+jan+1994;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Sachin was head and shoulders above everyone, unlike kohli

Tendulkar's one-day peak was 20 years ago. A single SIX was headline news with millions of youtube hits. Let that sink in for a second. The game has changed. Stop these foolish comparisons. I've seen both at their very best and in both cases it was nigh on impossible to imagine how anyone could play any better. Hitting sixes was the thing then. Today's batsman have to find another way to excel. Each generation has to find their own way to be better than their peers as the game evolves. 

4 minutes ago, kira said:

Because that's when sachin started to open the innings for India, seems like you are a kid who hasn't even seen sachin bat live 

So only Sachins stats when he started to Open till 2004 matter?Rest of the time who was playing in his disguise?

I have watched more cricket than you can possibly imagine.Stop cherry picking stats and using extremely selective cricterias.

1 minute ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

So only Sachins stats when he started to Open till 2004 matter?Rest of the time who was playing in his disguise?

I have watched more cricket than you can possibly imagine.Stop cherry picking stats and using extremely selective cricterias.

lol so you expect a teenage sachin who batted at no. 6 or 7 to average in the 50s and have a strike rate of over 85? lol 

This is not cherry picking, sachin was just 21 in 1994 and once he got his proper position in odis, he was unstoppable, you can try to do the same cherry picking for kohli but he would not be so much ahead of his peers like tendulkar was, kohli has mostly been 2nd to abdv in the odis and even when he was ahead, the difference between the 2 was minuscule, also kohli has decent competition statistically from his own team from dhoni and also from amla, he hasn't dominated his peers like sachin, if you had watched as much cricket as you say then you would have known this fact.

Just now, kira said:

lol so you expect a teenage sachin who batted at no. 6 or 7 to average in the 50s and have a strike rate of over 85? lol 

This is not cherry picking, sachin was just 21 in 1994 and once he got his proper position in odis, he was unstoppable, you can try to do the same cherry picking for kohli but he would not be so much ahead of his peers like tendulkar was, kohli has mostly been 2nd to abdv in the odis and even when he was ahead, the difference between the 2 was minuscule, also kohli has decent competition statistically from his own team from dhoni and also from amla, he hasn't dominated his peers like sachin, if you had watched as much cricket as you say then you would have known this fact.

Dhoni batted his entire career at 6-7 and avgd 50 plus with a SR of almost 90. If SRT would have done that he would have really been ahead of his peers.

Kohli and Dhoni avg 50 plus with SR of almost 90 their entire career and only two other batsman have managed to do better in ODIs.This is without any cherry picking of stats.

Just now, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Dhoni batted his entire career at 6-7 and avgd 50 plus with a SR of almost 90. If SRT would have done that he would have really been ahead of his peers.

Kohli and Dhoni avg 50 plus with SR of almost 90 their entire career and only two other batsman have managed to do better in ODIs.This is without any cherry picking of stats.

Do you know the average scores in the early 90s? are you serious right now? This has to be a troll, right? 

People get caught up too much on stats, Viv never had stats which Sachin or Kohli have but he is still regarded as best odi batsman.Heck even Haynes has more 100s than Viv and Haynes definitely knows who was better batsman.

Even Sachin would agree Kohli is better player under pressure than him.It does not matter who has more strokes and other things.

Edited by putrevus

My choices

1. Sachin - had to withstand immense pressure from every corners  thru out his career ever since he made his debut.

Opened for vast majority of his career. Yet  has several match winning knocks. Great stats & clutch knocks in

world cups.Also great stats and clutch knocks in tournament finals , knockouts etc etc.Single handedly won multiple

tournaments. Good to great stats in each and every country he played in despite  facing  several ATG bowlers.And great

longevity too.

2. Dhoni - brilliant pressure player. great longevity.several clutch knocks  .brilliant finisher. played a most crucial knock in 2011 world cup final

which alone is equal to several such bilateral knocks. better finisher than Sachin, but that is understandable because Sachin was an opener.

3. Kohli - one of the best finishers of all time .slightly better to Sachin in finishing matches , but Sachin was an opener & so was comparatively  harder to finish of matches.Kohli has been facing much easier bowlers, Kohli needs to prove lot more in multitournaments etc etc. 

5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

People get caught too much on stats, Viv never had stats which Sachin or Kohli have but he is still regarded as best odi batsman.Heck even Haynes has more 100s than Viv and Haynes definitely knows who was better batsman.

LOLwut. If anything Viv has BETTER stats than both of them. Viv averaged 47 at a SR of 90 when the rest of the batsmen struggled to strike at 70. Sachin and Kohli are no where near as dominant in their eras.

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Even Sachin would agree Kohli is better player under pressure than him.It does not matter who has more strokes and other things.

Not a single 50+ score in a WC knockout game and 1(13) while chasing in a WC Semi says otherwise.

16 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

A certain Bevan played in 90s.Isnt it? Viv avgd 47 in 80s isnt it?

I am not known to troll on these forums.

The same bevan who's average is boosted by not outs and strike rate is in the early 70s? lol surely you know the difference between a top order batsman and a finisher, only viv has a case against sachin but that needs a whole separate thread, like I said before if you have to bring viv in the discussion, that already proves the greatness of sachin, kohli is still a fair distance behind sachin, sachin was the undisputed best batsman of the world for more than a decade, kohli hasn't even been the best batsman of the world for even a year

/thread

Just now, kira said:

The same bevan who's average is boosted by not outs and strike rate is in the early 70s? lol surely you know the difference between a top order batsman and a finisher, only viv has a case against sachin but that needs a whole separate thread, like I said before if you have to bring viv in the discussion, that already proves the greatness of sachin, kohli is still a fair distance behind sachin, sachin was the undisputed best batsman of the world for more than a decade, kohli hasn't even been the best batsman of the world for even a year

/thread

So not getting out is now a weakness?

How does bringing Viiv in prove Sachin's greatness?No one here is denying his greatness.Point is who is better?

The only blemish in Kohli's career is a big WC.That done and Kohli will likely be the best ever ODI batsman.

Dhoni is arguably the best finisher ever.