Dhoni T20 Batting Strategy is Wrong!!

I have noticed this time and again, and I am surprised no one has ever called it out onmedia or other platforms. 

In short this is what Dhonis strategy is in all IPLs and T20s.  

He takes dots, singles and doubles and scores 5-6 runs an over till 17 over. With him batting you usually see a score of 110 by 17th over.And then goes bang baang. But the problem is even he scores at max 12 runs in those 3 over, it will take to a max of 140-155 score. Which is just an average score. And the annoying thing is that his worshippers start to call him a great finisher and a superagressive batsman based on his last overs exploits. Which means his spot in the team is supersafe. But everyone ignores his 90s style batting till 17th over. Why, cuz he hit some sixes in last 2 overs. 

Also, it creates pressure on the other batsman to do all the hard hitting and up the run rate till 17th over which creates even more wickets. 

I have seen this time and again in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016 T20 World Cup. Heck even in IPLs, if it wasn't for Raina, csk would never be a gun team. We all know what happened to Pune Warriors when Raina separated from Dhoni. 

This strategy is ok in 50 over games and I am not doubting him for 50 over team. But it's team people call his bluff and start asking questions in his defensive batting till 17th over for T20s. 

Scoring 12 runs an over is useless if you leave it to only last 2-3 overs. He gotta stop exploiting the rep of a finisher and improve his batting. And I keep hearing from Dhoni that I will be more free, stop using too much brain, become more aggressive yadayada but noting changes to his strategy.

its time, he is actually dropped from the T20 format!!

Just now, rkt.india said:

why blame everything on Dhoni. Batsmen from #1 to 7 all failed today.

Thing is, Dhoni didnt fail here, he succeed. So OP's point was, even Dhoni's best might harm India with this approach. While the others who failed, when they click, India will win most time (Of course this is excluding Yuvraj and Raina)

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

why blame everything on Dhoni. Batsmen from #1 to 7 all failed today.

That there is the BIG problem. He uses the same excuse that "I couldn't play freely, it was loss of early wickets and I had to stabilize and take us to par score"  

Dhoni comes batting at three down. Which is usually around 9-12th over. You still have players after you but he plays to boost up

hia average and play upto the brand he has created of 'an aggressive finisher'. It's very smart of Dhoni. No one remembers the sixes in the middle overs but everyone remembers last over heroics. 

Imagine Stokes, Smith, Russell, Devillears, Maxwell playing like that.

I was glad Dhoni was out in the first Odi and it was Jadhav and Kohli who took us through. You didn't see Jadhav playing dots after dots leaving it to the last over because 'of loss of early wickets and he had to stabilize"

Screenshot_20170126-192640.thumb.png.6d0

Is Dhoni responsible for the pathetic strike rate of Yuvi Rohit and Rahane in T20 world Cup 16.Or Rahul Kohli Yuvi and Pandey failing today .

Is Dhoni the reason we are we keep Tuk tuking in the powerplay always.

Dhoni usually bats at no.6 so if he is coming early then whose fault is this.Dhoni is a average T20 batsman (u r clueless about Dhoni performance for CSK anyway) in international cricket but currently he better performing than every other batsman bar Kohli and than sums our problems in T20s

7 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

His strategy today was correct as otherwise we could have been folded for 120 if he had not batted the way he didi with no other player to support him. 

May be some other day we can pick on him but not today. Today was just some bad batting barring from Raina, everone were okay to ordinary. 

You just answered your own question. That's the point I am trying to make. He uses this excuse evrery single time that it was early loss of wicket and if it wasn't for his innings, India would be 120. But the problem is there isn't much difference between 120 and 150. But there is a big difference between 150 and 175. 

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

What rubbish.. when we are six down what do you expect him to do  ? After Hardik we have bumrah coming in who can't  even hold bat properly... 

We would have got bowled out for 130 which is even worse..

I rather have 130 trying to be agreesgive and aiming for 170 plus rather than playing safe and score 145-150. 

You just answered your own question. That's the point I am trying to make. He uses this excuse evrery single time that it was early loss of wicket and if it wasn't for his innings, India would be 120. But the problem is there isn't much difference between 120 and 150. But there is a big difference between 150 and 175. 

For that we need a that doesn't waste powerplay and target 60 in six overs .

We have a team where openers strike rate in 100 .

Is that Dhoni's fault ? Dhoni's strike rate in last 4 overs is 170 in last 2 years .

So if he is Tuk tucking then the question is why is he coming very early despite batting at 6 and why we lose 4 wickets so quickly like today.

How any of this is not the fault of the top order.

People like Rahul today wasting the power play and getting out.Reason why we can't reach 170

4 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Is that Dhoni's fault ? Dhoni's strike rate in last 4 overs is 170 in last 2 years .

So if he is Tuk tucking then the question is why is he coming very early despite batting at 6 and why we lose 4 wickets so quickly like today.

People like Rahul today wasting the power play and getting out.Reason why we can't reach 170

This again :hysterical: How many innings above 25 in the last 2 years?

Edited by kira
3 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

As I said, everyone can play safe like Dhoni and score 5,6 runs an over and hit it big in last three overs. And "SAVE US FROM A COLLAPSE OF 130". But I am glad players like Kohli, Raina etc don't play for themselves and are always playing for the team. 

Lol you're saying dhoni is selfish?

Dhoni had to bat that way today as half the side was back in the hut and if he got out, then we wouldnt have crossed 130. Still he scored at 130+ SR. Problem was other batsmen failed miserably today, otherwise we would have reached 170. Even though his overall SR in T20 is not 130+, he has improved that in the past couple of years.

The problem is we keep picking ODI players for T20s. KL Rahul, Manish Pandey, Nehra, Yuvraj(he was good but not anymore) should not be picked for T20s. Glad that Jadeja and Ashwin were also not picked. I feel Chahal is a good option in T20s. Going forward, I hope they dont bring back Rahane and Dhawan for T20s as well. Just keep a pool of players who are right for T20 format like Raina, Jadhav, Bumrah (he is good option for T20 even though he went for runs today), perhaps Kuldeep, Samson or Pant. I feel its just poor selection which is doing us in.

We seriously need some big six hitters in T20s as grounds for T20s have smaller boundaries and bowling is defensive, so irrespective of pitch or bowling, if there are hitters who can clear the boundary, their mishits will go for sixes and even a 10 ball 30 will make a huge difference. That's why WI manage to win in T20s. Batsmen like KL Rahul, Rahane and even Dhawan wont cut it in T20. 

31 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Do you have the stats guru link of 170 in last 4 overs.