Dhoni T20 Batting Strategy is Wrong!!

10 minutes ago, putrevus said:

What is this pretty good SR about Dhoni people are raving about. Show me one innings where he turned the match around for India in T20s.

For ex  Dhoni hitting few boundaries  after Kohli had done all the heavy lifting  against Australia in T20 world cup just shows how shallow his so called good SR is and how he fails totally in comparison with other finishers in T20s.

We had Craig Brathwaite hit 4 sixes to win the cup. When has our so called finisher finished the games in T20s , he lost so many winnable matches latest being against WI when only 8 runs were required of last over and our great finisher did not even get them.

Dhoni is an excellent ODI player because he is very good runner between the wickets and can hit boundaries here and there.Totally different skills are needed in T20s.

I think you are missing the point again.No one here is saying Dhoni has been an excellent player or that he won us matches in T20 matches recently.But he has done his job decently in last two years coming in the last few overs and blasting the quick runs.But we still sucked because we have regularly wasted the initial overs.

We should look to find a replacement for Dhoni too soon with a power hitting middle order batsman.But the point is there are worse performing players in our T20 team needing to be replaced before Dhoni.And the fact that he has been our second batsman behind Kohli in T20 world cup summed up our woes.

Edited by BeautifulGame

Every other top six batsmen in Indian team have won matches on their own with bat at some point or other in their careers with them being solo acts.The only exception to this is our Kaptaan kool who rode back of Yuvraj and Gambhir for his T20 world cup and has been stinking up with bat ever since.

I will take Raina or Yuvraj over this overrated so called finisher  in T20s any day of the week.

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

I think you are missing the point again.No one here is saying Dhoni has been an excellent player.But he has done his job decently in last two years.We should look to find a replacement for him too soon with a power hitting middle order batsman.

But the point is there are worse performing players in our T20 team needing to be replaced before Dhoni.

Agree. A little too much hate for Dhoni. He isn't even captain anymore. When he was captain, he was blamed for his selections. When he is not captain, he is blamed for being selected. And while Dhoni is admittedly a concern, there are indeed couple of bigger concerns than him. 

1 minute ago, BeautifulGame said:

I think you are missing the point again.No one here is saying Dhoni has been an excellent player.But he has done his job decently in last two years.We should look to find a replacement for him too soon with a power hitting middle order batsman.

But the point is there are worse performing players in our T20 team needing to be replaced before Dhoni.

No he has not done decent job if he did decent job both as captain and player India would be winning multiple world cups .What exactly is he doing in this team anyway.There is no T20 world cup in near future so why not give other young keeper a chance.

No he has not done decent job if he did decent job both as captain and player India would be winning multiple world cups .What exactly is he doing in this team anyway.There is no T20 world cup in near future so why not give other young keeper a chance.

Multiple world cups ? :hysterical:

We won more world cups in his times than in our entire history combined .

5 minutes ago, kosingh said:

Agree. A little too much hate for Dhoni. He isn't even captain anymore. When he was captain, he was blamed for his selections. When he is not captain, he is blamed for being selected. And while Dhoni is admittedly a concern, there are indeed couple of bigger concerns than him. 

No one is hating Dhoni but  just pointing to fact that he is not a very good T20 player.His wicket keeping skills alone are not enough to have him in the team.This is perfect time to give youngsters a chance.

Just now, BeautifulGame said:

Multiple world cups ? :hysterical:

We won more world cups in his times than in our entire history combined .

So does it prove that he is great T20 player? it just proves we had very good teams and he happened to be the captain and a good odi captain.

Main problem is Dhoni is reason why Indian T20 world cup team never reached their potential both with his captaincy and him being a very average T20 player.

3 minutes ago, putrevus said:

So does it prove that he is great T20 player? it just proves we had very good teams and he happened to be the captain and a good odi captain.

Main problem is Dhoni is reason why Indian T20 world cup team never reached their potential both with his captaincy and him being a very average T20 player.

Its not Dhoni's fault that Yuvi played that innings in the 2014 world cup final

Neither was it fault that Rohit and Rahane wasted the initial overs in the world cup semi final by tuk tuking.

4 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Its not Dhoni's fault that Yuvi played that innings in the 2014 world cup final

Neither was it fault that Rohit and Rahane wasted the initial overs in the world cup semi final by tuk tuking.

Why didn't he come up the order then, he was the captain right, he promotes himself in many situations. He was the captain and he opted to change Dhawan to Rahane.

21 minutes ago, Sidhoni said:

This is GOLD stuff. So apparently Dhoni is holding us back from winning every T20 WC we have played. Our team must be better than Windies of 70s and Aussies of 2000s lol.

Bad day to come in here spouting Dhoni-bhakti.  Don't make me remind you of Dhoni's stupid captaincy decisions that cost us bigtime in T20 World cup - 2009 and 2010.  

35 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

And that was his fault as captain.I Don't disagree either.

This is first match we had without him being the captain, so when judging him in past as player his captaincy also come into picture as they both are very inter linked.

Some people are thinking few of us are against Dhoni no we are not against Dhoni. We are just not seeing what he is doing in this team at this juncture. Sachin was also playing odis for no reason other than getting his 100th ton , otherwise there was no reason for him to keep playing odis after 2011 world cup. He did not play in 2015 world cup , same thing here with Dhoni is he going to play next T20 world cup if answer is no then why not give youngster a chance.

3 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

Love how every discussion thread veers towards the great MSD , people here must love him

Yes because the guy comes 3 down which is the most crucial position in T20s. 

Sad part is. Every player in the past who was responsible for the losses has been dropped. Dhawan, Vijay, Rahane, Yuvraj, Uthappa, Pathan brothers, Parthiv, Negi, Rohit, Rayadu etc etc but your  "the great MSD" was never or will never be dropped even though he played a crucial role in our failures in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2016 T20 world cups. Why? Because his blind fans who would blame every other player who batted before and him. If YPathan was given this many chances in T20s, he would have 3 times more match winning innings than Dhoni. 

Just now, Texy said:

There's no way to convince dhoni chamchaas...whatever he does, they just drop to their knees and lap it up. You do not play T20 scoring in singles n 2s til the 19th ov and then try to go bang bang

Dhoni chamchas can't even list a single great innings from dhoni's entire t20 international career, yet they claim that he's the 2nd best batsman for India in that format :giggle: Dhoni fan club is the most delusional fan club in cricket

Dhoni is not to be blamed for yesterday's game.What I have observed here is that some vultures are waiting to pounce on him to vent out their frustrations.I think that will only go with his retirement.

On topic,I generally agree with the motif ,I would have been happier if Dhoni had gotten out yesterday earlier instead of just waiting to blast in the last over.He is still playing as if all depends on him instead he should just play without the fear of getting out.If he no longer can play that way selectors and he himself should take a call.But generally his batting has been on upward curve in last year or so because he has been getting fewer balls to bat but problem arises when he has too many overs to bat he starts building up an innings.With his own admission last year about using more brains in this format I thought he would make some changes in his approach but it seems it was just lip service.

Once again the problem is not when 2-3 years are left,it is when 8-9 overs are left.This is the time when he starts using his brain ,thinks of saving his wicket to blaze in away in last 2 overs.Someone has to apprise him of the fact he does not need to take the burden of staying there till the end always in this format atleast. With the paucity of six hitters in this lineup I am tempted to have him in this side for a bit longer but Virat should define his role.

Edited by BCCI