Bystander

B Thampi - Kerala Fast Bowler

20 hours ago, msplash9 said:

In which company you are working ? I don't want to know, but that might have the answer to your concern. In Kerala you will find more Engineers than coconuts. So obviously there are a lot more engineers from Kerala Villages when compared to the rural areas of other states. And these people have the influence of Malayalam (which is totally different from Hindi or any other north indian languages) when they speak english. 

But these things are the concerns of just a certain set of people like you . I am from a Village in Kerala , my english is not the greatest,  I have a thick accent and I am least bothered about it. 

Seriously dude ??

I did not say anything with disrespect. But facts are facts. Thats it. Btw, I am from the designing industry. Advertising! Surely, advertising agency people speak better than engineers! Take care

Basil Thampi was not used  either with the new ball or in the middle overs, perhaps because the pitch was gripping and aiding spinners

He bowled 3 overs at the end and they were excellent overs.

Most of his deliveries were quick, inswinging, accurate yorkers and he bowled lots of  good slower balls too.

Bowled a well directed sizzling bouncer.

Speeds of 136 k to 139 k even in the slog overs....which will probably be like 140 k to 143 k with international cricket speed-guns.

Impressed with this guy.   Has all the ingredients  to play LOIs  even today and would be an excellent partner to Bumrah.

To be honest sandeep warrior looked quick to me then what that speedgun was showing 135kph!! Today its clear that thampi is ready for international with that dilhara Fernando type action , showed controlled pace swing and slower balls with accuracy

His round armish action helps him to skid the ball at pace and also to swing it into the right handers.

He'll be handy with the old ball.Impressed with him,looks fit and strong.He's only 23,can get physically

stronger and will be at his peak in couple of years time if managed well.

5 hours ago, ShebbySB said:

His round armish action helps him to skid the ball at pace and also to swing it into the right handers.

He'll be handy with the old ball.Impressed with him,looks fit and strong.He's only 23,can get physically

stronger and will be at his peak in couple of years time if managed well.

Yes, already seems to have a good slow ball, which I am really excited about. The bowler looks to have a good pressance of mind. Would do great to be picked for a team like RCB where Kohli can use him. 

If he can find a club to play overseas in off season, it can be great. Many Indian cricketers have a lot of contacts. Even a player like Rajat Bhatia plays in the Birmingham league where many current and former come and play. Even if he can get an experience like that, it would be great for him. 

16 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

I did not say anything with disrespect. But facts are facts. Thats it. Btw, I am from the designing industry. Advertising! Surely, advertising agency people speak better than engineers! Take care

What about engineers who did an mba and took up jobs in advertising what are they?  You are filled with assumptions. 

1 hour ago, Vilander said:

What about engineers who did an mba and took up jobs in advertising what are they?  You are filled with assumptions. 

Listen Vilander, I am not a racist. If my words hurt you, I am sorry. I have been working for 15 yrs now, and the best designers are mostly Malayali's or bengalis. i dont know why. But the malayali designers have this problem, and often this is a hindrance in their growth. Perhaps I am talking of a different set of people, and you are talking of a different set. The fine art students who I have met, are mostly very quiet. And this guy Thampi looks like a quiet chap to me, so unlike Sreesanth. 

I feel he needs to be taken care on all apsects from the beginning because obviously he seems a real talent. I somehow get the feel he can turn out to be a great bowler. He has the west indian feel to him

6 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Listen Vilander, I am not a racist. If my words hurt you, I am sorry. I have been working for 15 yrs now, and the best designers are mostly Malayali's or bengalis. i dont know why. But the malayali designers have this problem, and often this is a hindrance in their growth. Perhaps I am talking of a different set of people, and you are talking of a different set. The fine art students who I have met, are mostly very quiet. And this guy Thampi looks like a quiet chap to me, so unlike Sreesanth. 

I feel he needs to be taken care on all apsects from the beginning because obviously he seems a real talent. I somehow get the feel he can turn out to be a great bowler. He has the west indian feel to him

In this era of political correctness, it's hard to post your views, Rightarmfast is a good guy and have been here for some time he is not Viper

2 hours ago, MCcricket said:

In this era of political correctness, it's hard to post your views, Rightarmfast is a good guy and have been here for some time he is not Viper

Just because he is here for long does not mean that he can say whatever he wants. He said something that a few don't agree and they objected to that. That is the purpose of a forum right ?

Rightarmfast is one of the very few posters that I respect here and appreciated the efforts he took to post the video of that Bihari fast bowler [Rehan Khan ?] . But this time I could not agree on something what he said and that is it , Nothing personal and let's move on

9 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

You are typecasting. i had a good chance of interacting with several malayalees during my business school years, i found them normal at times very proficient in their diction, much more than several colleagues from northern belt at that time. I wont draw conclusions based on that and say for instance people from UP/Bihar have a thick regional accent. The reason being it depends on the individual and the schools he/she went to, how dedicated were they in learning grammar/pronunciation did they take part in school plays etc. Again lots of generalization in your statements, but lets move on.

Edited by Vilander

3 hours ago, MCcricket said:

There is no era of political correctness. No matter how logical it might sound generalizations can not be be projected as a norm, this is just a discussion there is no need to get defensive.

9 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

should add, totally agree this bowler looks good you are spot on there.

35 minutes ago, Vilander said:

You are typecasting. i had a good chance of interacting with several malayalees during my business school years, i found them normal at times very proficient in their diction, much more than several colleagues from northern belt at that time. I wont draw conclusions based on that and say for instance people from UP/Bihar have a thick regional accent. The reason being it depends on the individual and the schools he/she went to, how dedicated were they in learning grammar/pronunciation did they take part in school plays etc. Again lots of generalization in your statements, but lets move on.

You are not understanding I am talking about fine art students/ artists. 

1 hour ago, msplash9 said:

Just because he is here for long does not mean that he can say whatever he wants. He said something that a few don't agree and they objected to that. That is the purpose of a forum right ?

Rightarmfast is one of the very few posters that I respect here and appreciated the efforts he took to post the video of that Bihari fast bowler [Rehan Khan ?] . But this time I could not agree on something what he said and that is it , Nothing personal and let's move on

I will take the blame, and take it as a feedback. The least of my intention was to be racist, because I am not! Sometime you just say something you dont mean. I did that, and I deserve to be given the flak

Basil Thampi gets his 2nd wicket with a hostile bouncer

3 wickets from 3 overs giving only 12  runs

He is so impressive

Pace + nasty steep bounce + accuracy  + inswing + great yorker + great bouncer + slower ball

Almost all deliveries in good areas, whether it is the beginning overs or death overs

He looks like a  " ready bowler "  and not a rookie

Take him in our LOI team immediately

Amol Majumdar can't  praise him enough

Edited by express bowling

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Basil Thampi gets his 2nd wicket with a hostile bouncer

3 wickets from 3 overs giving only 12  runs

He is so impressive

Pace + nasty steep bounce + accuracy  + inswing + great yorker + great bouncer + slower ball

Almost all deliveries in good areas, whether it is the beginning overs or death overs

He looks like a  " ready bowler "  and not a rookie

Take him in our LOI team immediately

Amol Majumdar can't  praise him enough

That ball to get rid of Asnodkar was a beauty. Pace and bounce. Batsman didn't have a clue. Good that Thampi got to bowl early today.

@Cricketics Please post the gifs of Thampi's bowling today.

2 hours ago, Mosher said:

That ball to get rid of Asnodkar was a beauty. Pace and bounce. Batsman didn't have a clue. Good that Thampi got to bowl early today.

@Cricketics Please post the gifs of Thampi's bowling today.

First wicket and the third wicket was good.

Third one was a good short ball and was caught. 

Lively.gif

Lively.gif

Lively.gif

38 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

Thoda Hype kam kare bhaiyon.

Not hype but Thampi has a lot of potential. This is not based on a single match. He has shown he can bowl quick yorkers, bouncers and slower ones. Can bowl with the new and the old ball with impressive accuracy too. Good find for LOI's if he keeps bowling like this.

I'm totally in favour of fast tracking this guy and other ready talents.. its about potential. So what if they fail?

We have supportive captain kohli who will back these guys. Even if they fail, they have time and the resources to get better. Even picking up a couple of wickets at the international level can do wonders for confidence.

Plus we need an influx of new bowlers: Thampi, Thakhur, Nathu singh, Sran etc. Lets try these guys out and see what they can do steaming in.

I hope I am way off base here, but his window of opportunity is very small.  He is 23+, and is just making a mark.  Selectors will want to see him for at least one IPL season and one more Ranji season when he is fully fit.  With the exception of Shami, Indian fast bowlers who have had reasonably successful careers from Kapil to Srinath to Zaheer to Ishant S to even Umesh Y have all made their debuts well before age 23, which means they were known commodities at age 20 - 21 at most.  

Hopefully our selectors take a gamble on this kid, draft him into the A team right away and see what happens.  

36 minutes ago, Moth2Flame said:

I hope I am way off base here, but his window of opportunity is very small.  He is 23+, and is just making a mark.  Selectors will want to see him for at least one IPL season and one more Ranji season when he is fully fit.  With the exception of Shami, Indian fast bowlers who have had reasonably successful careers from Kapil to Srinath to Zaheer to Ishant S to even Umesh Y have all made their debuts well before age 23, which means they were known commodities at age 20 - 21 at most.  

Hopefully our selectors take a gamble on this kid, draft him into the A team right away and see what happens.  

He is already very well known for his pace in domestic circuit. It is people here who got to know about him now. But this performance will certainly propel him further for a spot in LOI teams where we are carrying bowlers like Umesh who still do not instill enough confidence.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

But this performance will certainly propel him further for a spot in LOI teams where we are carrying bowlers like Umesh who still do not instill enough confidence.

Thampi's accuracy has been so good that there should be no reason not to fast-track him in our LOI teams

2 hours ago, kosingh said:

Pant and Thampi are the next Gilchrist and Donald. 

I'd be happy if they can be Dhoni (of earlier years) and Srinath (of his good years).

But even to reach Dhoni (just keeping and batting, not talking abt captaincy at all)

or Srinath heights - they have Loooonnnngggggggg way to go. So we can forget Gilly and Donald (I know you were saying sarcastically only).

ICF gets over-excited easily with Pant and Thampi :)

Our BCCI selectors will select Ashok Dinda and Vinay Kumar and Jayadev Unadkat anyway :facepalm:

Edited by fineleg

6 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He is already very well known for his pace in domestic circuit. It is people here who got to know about him now. But this performance will certainly propel him further for a spot in LOI teams where we are carrying bowlers like Umesh who still do not instill enough confidence.

He looks more accurate that Umesh may be a bit slower but definitely better bouncers and that yorker. Why is this guy not playing ahead of them.

8 hours ago, Vilander said:

He looks more accurate that Umesh may be a bit slower but definitely better bouncers and that yorker. Why is this guy not playing ahead of them.

I  think that Thampi is as quick as Umesh too and we will see it if he gets to play the IPL.

Edited by express bowling