B Thampi - Kerala Fast Bowler

Bystander

A year old article about Thampi from " The Hindu"

Quite frequently, one noticed a small odd jump as medium-pacer Basil Thampi began his run-up at the St. Paul’s College ground here on Monday.

If there was some excitement, one could understand. For the 22-year-old Kochi lad hit a T20 high, taking his maiden four-wicket haul, as Kerala thrashed lowly Tripura by eight wickets for its third consecutive victory in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy tournament.

With a back injury troubling him, this season had been a letdown for Basil. He did not play a single Ranji game and did not have much to talk about the 50-over Vijay Hazare Trophy matches either.

Now fit, Basil, who trains at the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai, is back to his best. The youngster had been called for trials by the Mumbai Indians a week ago and with his best coming at a time when the Mumbai team’s Robin Singh is here to have a close look at promising players before the IPL auction, it should do him a lot of good.

“Tinu Yohanan sir (Kerala bowling coach) is a big help. He advised me not give room for the batsmen and to try to bowl inside, especially when batsmen intend to cut and pull,” said Basil.

Quite frequently, one noticed a small odd jump as medium-pacer Basil Thampi began his run-up at the St. Paul’s College ground here on Monday.

If there was some excitement, one could understand. For the 22-year-old Kochi lad hit a T20 high, taking his maiden four-wicket haul, as Kerala thrashed lowly Tripura by eight wickets for its third consecutive victory in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy tournament.

With a back injury troubling him, this season had been a letdown for Basil. He did not play a single Ranji game and did not have much to talk about the 50-over Vijay Hazare Trophy matches either.

Now fit, Basil, who trains at the MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai, is back to his best. The youngster had been called for trials by the Mumbai Indians a week ago and with his best coming at a time when the Mumbai team’s Robin Singh is here to have a close look at promising players before the IPL auction, it should do him a lot of good.

“Tinu Yohanan sir (Kerala bowling coach) is a big help. He advised me not give room for the batsmen and to try to bowl inside, especially when batsmen intend to cut and pull,” said Basil.

1 hour ago, tweaker said:

Hope he is not picked up by Mumbai. They will make him sit on the bench for the whole season without giving him a game just like they did with Nathu.

Basil has natural pace n action and can only get better, he is athletic like Yadav but taller, very very impressed, also will get lots of swing conventional n reverse due to slingy arm, this guy has to be taken care of by BCCI, he could be very valuable for ODi to begin with and if he works hard and is trained properly could bowl 140 to 150 and that is very very good, also he has good seam n can seam the ball so defensively for me miles ahead of guys like Dhawal and other mediocre pacers the selectors love.

Warrier also looks decent but he has not progressed as much as I would have hoped but he is young, Mumbai shame on you and see or import some bowlers from down south.

Also for me Thampi is better potential then S Thakur easily, as he is faster had slingy arm, taller and not all over the place.

Edited by MCcricket

An old article

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/‘Kerala-has-good-potential-in-pace-bowling’/article14982489.ece

Thomson, who is regarded by many as cricket’s fastest ever bowler, worked with the cream of Kerala’s pace-bowling talent.  “I found many of them pretty good,” he told The Hindu. “I think there is more depth in Kerala than Mumbai or Karnataka when it comes to pace bowlers; I have seen a larger number of talented players here than those two places, where also I had conducted camps.”

“Boys like Sandeep Warrier, Basil Thampi, M.K. Asif and Tilbin Joseph look pretty good,” he said. “I see a lot of potential for pace bowling in Kerala.”

We learnt several new things about bowling fast from him,” said Sandeep. “He did not make any major changes technically, since the new season is just a few weeks away, but ironed out some rough edges.”

3 hours ago, CoverDrive said:

BCCI needs language coach to correct malayali accents?

anyway looks decent find. I like how we are getting good pacers from non-traditional centres. Bhuvi, Bumrah, Yadav, Aaron are product of this and we have a good lineup up domestic pacers also coming up (again from smaller teams). 

Thats what happens when you read half and jump ahead and reply. Try understanding what I have said. I was talking about psychological pressure. But I think thats beyond you to understand.

MRF Foundation has been there for years and years, and its only now that we have had few bowlers coming up. Possibly not because of MRF. So, we need to have a 2nd option apart from MRF Pace.

7 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

This guy should be just handed over to Shoaib Akhtar. Infact, BCCI should just buy off players like Shoaib Akhtar on a long term basis. The MRF pace foundation for a very long time gave us nothing, we need to have another alternative to MRF.

This guy, by the looks of him, I think will be a sensation in World cricket. This guy will not break down, he will get better. 

The problem with young malayali guys is, they cant speak proper english, even if they do, they have a big accent. hence, they find it hard to communicate and more often than not, have a complex about their personality. You might laugh at my comment, but all my designers in my company are malayali's and I have faced the same problem with all of them. BCCI needs to work on this aspect too.

In which company you are working ? I don't want to know, but that might have the answer to your concern. In Kerala you will find more Engineers than coconuts. So obviously there are a lot more engineers from Kerala Villages when compared to the rural areas of other states. And these people have the influence of Malayalam (which is totally different from Hindi or any other north indian languages) when they speak english. 

But these things are the concerns of just a certain set of people like you . I am from a Village in Kerala , my english is not the greatest,  I have a thick accent and I am least bothered about it. 

have a complex about their personality.

Seriously dude ??

8 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

This guy should be just handed over to Shoaib Akhtar. Infact, BCCI should just buy off players like Shoaib Akhtar on a long term basis. The MRF pace foundation for a very long time gave us nothing, we need to have another alternative to MRF.

This guy, by the looks of him, I think will be a sensation in World cricket. This guy will not break down, he will get better. 

The problem with young malayali guys is, they cant speak proper english, even if they do, they have a big accent. hence, they find it hard to communicate and more often than not, have a complex about their personality. You might laugh at my comment, but all my designers in my company are malayali's and I have faced the same problem with all of them. BCCI needs to work on this aspect too.

which part of the country are you from ? do rural folk or urban folk for that matter from rest of the country speak english with queens accent ?

And you want him to be handed over to a pakistani lol, who pcb is not employing in the first place. lol

Edited by Vilander
5 minutes ago, speedheat said:

I want bhuvi thampi, shami and bhumrah to be unleashed on Pakistan just too see them struggle against pace

If Thampi has the ability to bowl  the way he did yesterday with consistency .......

then Shami, Bumrah ,Thampi  and Pandya will be form a genuinely quick and very skilled ODI attack against any top team. Will be very interesting to watch them while playing  on juicy tracks     : )

Edited by express bowling

If Thampi has the ability to bowl  the way he did yesterday with consistency .......

then Shami, Bumrah ,Thampi  and Pandya will be form a genuinely quick and very skilled ODI attack against any top team. Will be very interesting to watch them while playing  on juicy tracks     : )

Yes that was my dream from childhood to see India's genuinely fast and skilled pace battery of India

11 hours ago, rkt.india said:

It does have in England. They do send their bowlers for such programs. Likes of Stuart Broad, Steve Finn, Chris Woakes have really upped their pace after such programs.

But they're not muscular guys. I'm talking about something like Yadav. Athletes that graduate from high school in the US come in under weight like we have in the Ranji. They then spend the summer or what they call a "red shirt" year learning the position they play and simultaneously strength train. 

If they're a running back they go from 6' 180 lbs to 210 lbs pure muscle within a year. I'm not sure why this isn't incorporated in cricket. Why is it that still the likes of Amit Mishra, Raina, Ashwin and other unfit "athletes" considered to be part of a national team. 

Strength training needs to be a part and parcel whether you're a fast bowler, batsman(especially power hitters) or spinners.